Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

...that Archie had appeared in 2000AD prior to Zenith (and not just in that article about British comics which featured in an annual).  (the robot appeared in Tharg and the Intruder, fulfilling a not-dissimilar role as Mek-Quake in Kings Reach Tower.

glassstanley

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 October, 2016, 11:58:14 PM
The notebook given away recently as a subscriber gift had tweaked art... it had Dredd reading the Law on copyright infringement.

That's how it was originally published, on the back of the 1st edition of Titan's Chronicles of Judge Dredd Vol 1. An early call for creator's rights.

sheridan

...that the CIA paratroopers who killed Shako's mate and cubs were named Marx and Spencer.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 25 October, 2016, 01:28:07 AM
...that the CIA paratroopers who killed Shako's mate and cubs were named Marx and Spencer.

And I thought that story couldn't get any, um, cooler.  Great spot, Sheridan!

Angry Vince

Didn't read the first 46 pages (late to the party), but only just realised that Johnny Alpha must of course be the best S/D agent because he is the Alpha Dog!

Can't believe I missed that one...
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Angry Vince on 26 October, 2016, 07:05:07 AM
Didn't read the first 46 pages (late to the party), but only just realised that Johnny Alpha must of course be the best S/D agent because he is the Alpha Dog!

Can't believe I missed that one...

Never thought of that.  Get whet!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jacqusie

I was reading some old Armoured Gid and it's only just occurred to me that Franks surname 'Weitz' is a make of German camera...

...Which is not to be confused with the Jokers Camera in on the cover of the Killikng Joke. That ones 'Witz' - German for Joke of course.

I'm sure John Tolinson was aware of both these facts when he wrote the series and I've really enjoyed looking at Simon Jacobs glorious painted art on the run, they don't make em' like that anymore...

Si

norton canes

Up to 1986 with my prog slog and I've noticed an instance of Mega-City slang I don't remember from reading them 30 years ago.

Did John Wagner or Alan Grant know what they were doing when they coined 'vag' as a term for vagrant?!

Frank

Quote from: norton canes on 03 January, 2017, 02:56:57 PM
Did John Wagner or Alan Grant know what they were doing when they coined 'vag' as a term for vagrant?!

The current three letter slang for the homeless is bum. Same general area.

At the time of Grindstone Cowboys, a few of us commented on the perfection of Dredd's typically terse response to Rico's doubts that he was ready to replace him - "you'll do" [1].

Maybe Dredd's job approval seemed so in character because the lazy old bugger was recycling his words of encouragement to Hershey when she worried she wasn't ready to replace Volt as Chief Judge - "you'll do" [2].

[1] Grindstone Cowboys, 1977

[2] Volt Face, 1167

lincnash

Its a very new one that jumped out at me, perhaps others didnt see.
Jimp Heston in the recent Meg story Monkey Business.
Homage to Charlton Heston from the original (and best) Planet of the Apes movies ?.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 13 January, 2017, 12:51:14 AM
Homage to Charlton Heston from the original (and best) Planet of the Apes movies ?.

Hmmm, thought that one was fairly obvious.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Hell Trekkers (387-415). Expedition leader Lucas Rudd's wife is called Amber*. Future satire.

* Catchphrase: 'take your radiation pills'

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 January, 2017, 05:05:45 PM

And wasn't Charlton Heston Block the location of Monkey Business, way back in the 2100s?

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 16 January, 2017, 02:05:28 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 January, 2017, 05:05:45 PM

And wasn't Charlton Heston Block the location of Monkey Business, way back in the 2100s?

My mistake - Charles Darwin Block was that particular location...

James Stacey

There was a Charlton Heston block but not related. From the City of Dredd

Charlton Heston Block
A large, well-to-do cityblock. Infected by the Block Mania, Heston formed an alliance with Ricardo Montalban Block, but was wiped out by poison gas Heston helped manufacture which accidentally leaked from the Dixy Plasteen Complex. (Block Mania; City Block)
Matheson Peat led a Block Mania-crazed Citi-Def squad from the Charlton Heston Frontliners, attacking neighbouring Michael Moore Block and the East-Meg One invasion army. Other Frontliner volunteers included Marriot, Mattocks, Rawlinson and Topley. They investigated the ruins of the Rejin Estate, where Peat discovered the half-mad Erik Rejin, the only survivor of his family. (The Final Cut)
By 2123, Heston Block had been annexed within Apetown's borders. The ape uplift Travis Perkins was raised in Apartment 1175. (The Fierce and the Furious)