Main Menu

Pedants' corner a.k.a. "Get me Mek-Quake on speed-dial!"

Started by A.Cow, 30 December, 2016, 04:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Was recently re-reading the Texas City Coup storyline (or whatever we're calling it this week) and came across this continuity stinker where Giant meets Joyce for the first time:

Shame on you, Michael Carroll and/or Colin MacNeil!

JOE SOAP

Frank

Let this be a lesson to all on the perils of pedantry, smart aleckry, and whataboutery in all its forms. Not only did the more handsome and talented Link Prime highlight this anomaly five months ago (link), he even knew it happened in prog 1987, not prog 1980.

A.Cow

Quote from: Frank on 30 December, 2016, 09:33:12 AM
Let this be a lesson to all on the perils of pedantry, smart aleckry, and whataboutery in all its forms. Not only did the more handsome and talented Link Prime highlight this anomaly five months ago (link), he even knew it happened in prog 1987, not prog 1980.

<fist mode="shake" direction="skywards">Noooooooooo!!!</fist>

I feel inadequate, unhandsome/untalented and justifiably emasculated.  I'll get me coat...

Dash Decent

Could they be different Judges?  Surely there's more than one person in the world with Joyce as a surname.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Quote from: A.Cow on 30 December, 2016, 11:39:13 AM
I'll get me coat ...

That's not how this game is played!

Your return of serve should be that the Judge GIA(rest obscured) who's pictured working with and speaking to Joyce in prog 1975 is actually Judge Giacomo*.

* Judge Sam Giacomo. Maybe Judge Sam Giancana.

Colin MacNeil

Ahem!... Not my fault, Guv! :)

From episode One, page one of the Grindstone Cowboys script.

4. Ext. Morning. Mega-City One, streets. On Giant and Joyce, exhausted but still standing, blood dripping from their daysticks, among many unconscious rioters: a lot more rioters are fleeing. Giant has his hand raised to his helmet, receiving a call from Control.

Caption:   "... But it'll take more than your constant doom-mongering to solve the crisis."

Giant:   Acknowledged, Control. On our way.

Giant (link):   Ram-raid in progress, Spiker Piazza. You feeling up to it, Joyce?

Joyce:   Not especially. Let's go.

Rately

Hawkmumbler

A continuity error thread? On a comic book forum? I'm sure this will end well...

Frank

Is everyone else suffering a nose bleed? I think it's a side effect of one of the elder gods folding down from the four dimensional geometry of overspace to post on a forum. He killed Johnny Alpha, you know. And Chopper.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 December, 2016, 05:09:20 PM
A continuity error thread? On a comic book forum? I'm sure this will end well...

Hopefully, Tharg will force the criminal, Michael Carroll, to write an elaborate, multi-part story explaining why Joyce and Giant Jr II were putting on a performance to convince Dredd they hadn't met previously.

Tjm86

Quote from: Frank on 30 December, 2016, 05:44:22 PM
Hopefully, Tharg will force the criminal, Michael Carroll, to write an elaborate, multi-part story explaining why Joyce and Giant Jr II were putting on a performance to convince Dredd they hadn't met previously.

Dredd: the Alzheimer years?  He is the right age for early onset.  Perhaps they didn't want to embarrass the old feller?

Frank

Joyce II and Giant III are having an affair behind Dredd's back*.

Or maybe it's like the bit in Godfather II, where Michael realises Fredo set him up because he and Johnny Ola had pretended not to know each other when they'd been introduced, earlier.

* That wasn't blood they were wiping from their daysticks

A.Cow

Quote from: Frank on 30 December, 2016, 05:44:22 PM

Quote from: Frank on 30 December, 2016, 06:14:29 PM
Joyce II and Giant III are having an affair behind Dredd's back.

I'm definitely up for Carroll's epic exploration of the backstory of Joyiant IIĀ½*, preferably involving creative-yet-brilliantly-logical use of Lawgiver bullets and the "surprise" appearance of Dolman.

* portmanteau-ed in accordance with international celebrity supercouple shipping regulations.

JayzusB.Christ

Tony Blair came back to life with no explanation after dying in Maniac 5, and I don't see everyone moaning about that.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 December, 2016, 01:43:03 PM
Tony Blair came back to life with no explanation after dying in Maniac 5, and I don't see everyone moaning about that.
More's the pity....