Main Menu

Pedants' corner a.k.a. "Get me Mek-Quake on speed-dial!"

Started by A.Cow, 30 December, 2016, 04:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Hmm... Just spotted this thread!

The error (or "continuity stinker" -- thanks, A. Cow!) was the result of a minor screw-up by me and minor mix-up in the Nerve Centre: I wrote "The Grindstone Cowboys" many months before I started working on "Reclamation" and, to be frank, I'd forgotten that I'd already shown Joyce and Giant working together (Giant wasn't in my original plan for that scene in "The Grindstone Cowboys": I added him later because I wanted to foreshadow his appearance in "Reclamation").

I spotted the mistake shortly after I delivered "Reclamation" and informed The Mighty One, then sent him the corrected version. Unfortunately, the revised version of the script was mislaid or something and the incorrect one was used instead.

The good news is that we've managed to patch over the mistake by tweaking the dialogue in the collected edition (Every Empire Falls, due to be published in early February), and it should be absolutely seamless and unnoticeable to new readers (or established readers who are a tad less pedantic observant) as long as those who DO know it's there don't go "helpfully" pointing it out to everyone...

Cheers,
Mike

Tjm86

Yeah, Yeah. 

Next you'll be telling us you left it in a pub and had to rewrite the whole thing in an evening!  ;)

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 December, 2016, 01:43:03 PM
Tony Blair came back to life with no explanation after dying in Maniac 5, and I don't see everyone moaning about that.

Why moan about a fictional Blair while the real one's still on the loose?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 December, 2016, 11:40:37 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 December, 2016, 01:43:03 PM
Tony Blair came back to life with no explanation after dying in Maniac 5, and I don't see everyone moaning about that.

Why moan about a fictional Blair while the real one's still on the loose?

Pretty much every military and political leader in Maniac 5 commits suicide after making a morally difficult decision. As if any of them give half a fuck about killing in reality.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 31 December, 2016, 04:47:09 PM
(or established readers who are a tad less pedantic observant) as long as those who DO know it's there don't go "helpfully" pointing it out to everyone...

Cheers,
Mike

I like that, observant.  As in - "I believe in continuity, but I'm not observant.  I don't read the (story) bible or anything, just observe on special occassions".

Smith

Just a minor thing,thats a bit funny,in prog #1976,Aquila encounters the three-headed dog CEREBUS:)

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 02 January, 2017, 12:22:33 PM
Just a minor thing,thats a bit funny,in prog #1976,Aquila encounters the three-headed dog CEREBUS:)

Smith

Quote from: sheridan on 02 January, 2017, 12:47:12 PM
Quote from: Smith on 02 January, 2017, 12:22:33 PM

That was my first thought too.It also happens in the next prog.

M.I.K.

Yup. I mentioned it at the time. It seems to be one of the most common mistakes when folk are referencing mythological beasties.

Colin YNWA

Its how the old aardvark got his name in the first place as I recall.

Smith

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 January, 2017, 04:52:56 PM
Its how the old aardvark got his name in the first place as I recall.
Who would have guessed? :)

Richard

Tony Blair didn't die in Maniac 5. He nuked London, but no-one said he was in London at the time.

Link Prime

You almost got away with it Mike- if not for those meddling kids!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 31 December, 2016, 04:47:09 PM
Hmm... Just spotted this thread!

The error (or "continuity stinker" -- thanks, A. Cow!) was the result of a minor screw-up by me and minor mix-up in the Nerve Centre: I wrote "The Grindstone Cowboys" many months before I started working on "Reclamation" and, to be frank, I'd forgotten that I'd already shown Joyce and Giant working together (Giant wasn't in my original plan for that scene in "The Grindstone Cowboys": I added him later because I wanted to foreshadow his appearance in "Reclamation").

I spotted the mistake shortly after I delivered "Reclamation" and informed The Mighty One, then sent him the corrected version. Unfortunately, the revised version of the script was mislaid or something and the incorrect one was used instead.

The good news is that we've managed to patch over the mistake by tweaking the dialogue in the collected edition (Every Empire Falls, due to be published in early February), and it should be absolutely seamless and unnoticeable to new readers (or established readers who are a tad less pedantic observant) as long as those who DO know it's there don't go "helpfully" pointing it out to everyone...

Cheers,
Mike

Ah know you were going to say that!
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

'Pedant alarm bleats'

....Where did the horse come from?