Main Menu

slaine [multiple represses question]

Started by peter tron, 13 January, 2017, 01:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter tron

hi guys,

i need to know which book of invasions 1 edition to go for.

amazon states there are two:

one from 2006 with 96 pages, and another from 2012 with 112 pages.

the 2012 edition is slightly more expensive, but what is included in the extra 16 pages?

IndigoPrime

£16.27 RRP seems a weird price point that suggests this is an import or Amazon's just playing silly buggers. Also, last I knew, these were only in hardback and had only had the one version. 2000 AD's own store sells the hardback for £13.99 (along with vols 2 and 3, follow-up The Wanderer, and the newer Brutania Chronicles): http://shop.2000adonline.com/categories/slaine

AlexF

Books of Invasions Vol 1 was definitely released in paperback - it's the version I have. But I'm pretty sure Vols 2, 3 and beyond are only in hardback.
I've no idea why the page count would be so different - pretty sure all versions all had the same basic contents, which includes some extra double-page spreads not used in the original Progs.

peter tron

amamzon shows two editions:

2005 edition [96 pages]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1904265820/sr=1-1/qid=1484165689/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1484165689&sr=1-1

2012 edition [122 pages]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1907992685/sr=1-4/qid=1484165869/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1484165869&sr=1-4

the 2000ad shop is down at the moment, but i will have a look 2moro when maintenance is finished.

cheers guys!

sometimes amamzon faff things up, so the information given might be incorrect.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: AlexF on 13 January, 2017, 04:11:32 PM
Books of Invasions Vol 1 was definitely released in paperback - it's the version I have. But I'm pretty sure Vols 2, 3 and beyond are only in hardback.
Huh—I didn't realise there was a PB release of that one. Still, the 2000 AD shop only listed the hardback last time I checked (at the standard page count).

Molch-R

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 January, 2017, 10:03:55 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 13 January, 2017, 04:11:32 PM
Huh—I didn't realise there was a PB release of that one. Still, the 2000 AD shop only listed the hardback last time I checked (at the standard page count).

The paperback volume was a release for the US market.

Woolly

Anyone know if the misprinted copies of Vol.2 are worth hanging on to?

I'm sure you can guess which one I have...  ;)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 January, 2017, 10:19:05 AMThe paperback volume was a release for the US market.
Aha. Which would probably also account for the Amazon pricing oddness.

peter tron

aha,

so the 2012 edition is paperback, and apparently has an extra 16 pages.
the 2000ad site mentions:

this first volume in The Book of Invasions includes ten never-before-seen pages of art by Clint Langley.

could be this? maybe this isn't included in the hardcover 2006 edition?

i'm going to go with the 23012 edition i feel, but have to get through warrior's dawn all the way up to demon killer bfore i shell out for the rest!

TordelBack

Haven't seen the papeeback edition, but the hardback has many extra pages over the original run, so I'd be very surprised if there really are 10 more in there. I'd definitely recommend getting the HB, as the subsequent 7 volumes are all in the same format, so if you plan on ever getting the lot your shelf won't think it too many.

Rogue Judge

I wouldn't put too much faith in the page numbers posted on Amazon. They show some pretty drastic differences in the page counts (as much as 30+ pages) between the UK and US volumes of the Complete Case Files, when in fact they have the exact same page count and content. 

IndigoPrime

Before the 2000AD shop went all weird (redesign), it stated 115 pages (presumably a typo for 116) for the hb.