Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. ELIMINATOR

I assumed that the trigger was a bluff, hence the "yeah" as in "yeah, thought so."

But I suppose it makes sense that to throw her out on slow mo would mean she wouldn't die of shock so would make it to the ground.

Both work for me.

dweezil2

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 09 September, 2012, 12:05:45 AM
I assumed that the trigger was a bluff, hence the "yeah" as in "yeah, thought so."

But I suppose it makes sense that to throw her out on slow mo would mean she wouldn't die of shock so would make it to the ground.

Both work for me.

I think the trigger mechanism was too out of range to work through concrete 200 blocks below.
That's my take on it anyway.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

MR. ELIMINATOR

Yeah, but I mean she had to have slow mo to get out of range.

dweezil2

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 09 September, 2012, 12:20:08 AM
Yeah, but I mean she had to have slow mo to get out of range.

Ma-Ma had only rigged the top blocks as far as I understood it.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

MR. ELIMINATOR

I am agreeing with you, but just thinking that Dredd may have given her slow mo so that when she is thrown out of the window she doesn't have a heart attack or something as she would still be in range if you get me?

Goaty

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 09 September, 2012, 12:26:38 AM
I am agreeing with you, but just thinking that Dredd may have given her slow mo so that when she is thrown out of the window she doesn't have a heart attack or something as she would still be in range if you get me?

Honest, Dredd want her to suffer a lot with Ma-Ma felt the death sentence when she can felt it all in Slo-Mo, that how bastard Dredd is!

PreacherCain

Quote from: Goaty on 09 September, 2012, 12:46:13 AM

Honest, Dredd want her to suffer a lot with Ma-Ma felt the death sentence when she can felt it all in Slo-Mo, that how bastard Dredd is!

But it's illegal to take slo-mo and so Dredd giving it to her... it makes him an accomplice to a crime, doesn't it!?

I guess I can buy the slowing down her reactions explanation. Though it's been shown at a few points throughout the film that taking slo-mo doesn't prevent perps from taking aim and firing at Dredd. I suppose I felt that this ethical/narrative conundrum could have been avoided simply enough by having MaMa take the drug herself after she's been shot. But then the slo-mo does create a euphoric state and therefore slows down the heartbeat, preventing death until impact. OK, I'll but it too :P

Also cool: Dredd headbutting that Wire perp. Looked quite painful  :o

MR. ELIMINATOR

Personally I think he just wanted her to suffer, and that she was just bluffing, but my friend who I watched it with thought the above. But yeah either way, it was still an awesome death scene. That face splatter was ace! Would have liked to have seen it in fast motion though maybe, give a bit more shock value.

coolyazz

Went to see the 2D showing in Scarborough, Saturday afternoon. There were only 3 people in the audience plus 1 staff member! Bit worrying... I hope it picks up over the next few days.

I'm not sure why, but there were no adverts or trailers before, just straight into the movie... nice!

Favourite bit of the movie - When Anderson fires her gun up under the chin of that guy and through the top of his head!  Awesome!

Least favourite bit - cutting way too soon when Anderson unzips! Heh!

Seeing the movie has put me in a good mood, and I might actually continue with the Bolland style Anderson picture I started well over a year ago in the creative common section.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also Goaty, where did that awesome sig come from? haha.

Quote from: PreacherCain on 09 September, 2012, 12:59:37 AM

Also cool: Dredd headbutting that Wire perp. Looked quite painful  :o

Yeah, I was surprised he still had a face left after that.

Diminished Responsibility

Dredd was definitely applying a bit of punishment with his sentencing. He threw the second in command off the balcony, that's not instant justice. And Ma-Mas' was a very drawn out affair, great for us, but poor bitch.
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

Pete Wells

Yep, this is how I see it too. Dredd says something like "What's the range on that thing? We're 1km up, can it get through 200 stories of plaster and steel?"

So for me, he throws her to get her out of range and the slo-mo is to prevent a heart attack.

Went to see it for the second time tonight with Mrs Pete, she came out of the cinema like an excited little girl! We enthusiastically chatted about the film for easily an hour. She wasn't even this excited about her precious Harry Potters!

COMMANDO FORCES

I hope you all enjoyed the weapons handling, room entry drils and the unarmed combat scenes, as I fucking did.

When they did the sequence after he threw the smoke grenade and they advanced towards the perps, I knew we were onto a winner. The grenade is there to fuck up your breathing and impair you vision. At the same time the perps heartbeats will rise, which means they won't have a steady aim, if they can even see where to aim. Dredd on the other hand calmly advances through them and takes out the nearest one with a double tap and then moves onto the next. The reason he can do this is the training and trusting in his weapon and his body armour!

The room entry after the flash bang goes off. Again the noise and bright light completely disorientate the perps. They will be temporarily blinded and have severe ringing in their ears. Dredd and Anderson can move through them and just pick them off with ease. At the end Dredd ejects his mag and puts on a full one, he may have used all the rounds in the other mag (I didn't see him have a dead mans click) but more than likely he wants a fresh one on in case they have another contact straight away.

The room entry drills were lovely, especially as Dredd (I'm sure it was him but I may be mistaken) taps Anderson on her shoulder to say advance, I'm with you now. I really enjoyed that. They also did some swift moves as they turned corners and kept the direction of the barrel in line with their eyes. Where the eyes look the barrel points!

The unarmed combat was lovely, effective moves to disable and kill. We don't need protracted scenes of hitting people with bars and such crap and they still don't go down, that every other film has. When the Judges fight it's with minimum fuss but maximum damage!

HdE

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 08 September, 2012, 10:00:53 PM

My fav bits were the headbutt (bloody brutal)...

Funny story - when that happened, I let out a slightly-too-loud 'YEAH!' and the big guy in the seat in front of mine actually punched the air!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Danbo

I thought it was  so she wouldn't have the reactions to trigger the device.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.