Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

That is indeed shite news. I have, over the last few years or so, gotten into the early period Dr Feelgood in a big way. Though as proto-punkers they was always on my radar
A brilliant and totally original stage presence and a wonderful wonderful guitarist. Was nice to see that since the Julian Temple film of them - Oil City Confidential, they and indeed Wilco had enjoyed a bit of a renaissance.

Frank

Add this to your list of unofficial Dredd tunes:

SUBZEE D

Ignore the Youtube spelling error, the track's called Judge Dredd on Amazon and itunes, where it's available to purchase should you feel like blasting that racket out the windows of your modified Citroen Saxo at deafening volume in the early hours of the morning.

I, Cosh

Got an old Sunn O))) album last week. This track exemplifies what makes it such a frustrating listen.

The first time I had a shot of an electric guitar, I discovered that you can make a lot more interesting noises by turning everything up and waving it around than you can by actually playing it. These guys obviously understand this too and the first seven minutes or so of this track are a beautiful ebb and throb of restrained electricity with some wonderful little squalls of noise off in the distance of the mix.

Then some idiot starts talking over it. In the manner of a fifteen year old gamesmaster doing his best portentous, evil wizard voice. I really can't see why they thought this was a good idea and would have to assume they are also the sort of people who think it's okay to answer their phones in the cinema.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

I saw Sunn 0))) (go on then pronounce that!) at ATP one year... well I say saw.

I went up to the main room at the now old Minehead venue and (for those that know it) got as far as the little arcade area to right of the stage.

For those that don't know it ATP is a festival hosted at a Pontin's and the main stage at Minehead is a large room where you imagine they host cabaret etc in an evening. Great venue for a gigs, loads of tables and seats around a large room and a good sized clear area for those that still like to rock (me I used to fine a nice table unless I really love the band). It was a big old room. Around the edge there were not just bars, but other holiday camp type stuff, including in a separate room, just of the stairs you entered the room from an arcade. So its a little behind the stage, and pretty sheltered.

My wife and I, not knowing but intrigued Sunn 0))), tried to approach the seats at the back. My wife failed and hide in the arcade. I braved it. The noise was incredible. I saw the men wearing rubber trees on stage and once the druidesque droning started and I think my ears started to bleed, I couldn't stand it any more and went to find my wife. Even in the arcade I could feel the music through my legs. The noise was like no other.

Now in case you think I'm just a big girl's blouse, I found my wife was trying to talk to a couple of friends of ours one of whom was Jeff. Now Jeff likes My Bloody Valentine gigs and this was too loud for him. For anybody who knows My Bloody Valentine live you will get this. Jeff was reduced to a gibbering fool having watched the first couple of songs (well I call them that). We all ran for cover downstairs and probably ended up watching some other beard strokey, band while stuffing cotton wool in our ears to stop the BLOOD POURING OUT.

All of which is a very long winded way of saying. Sunn 0)))) loudest band I have ever seen - and only one with dancing rubber trees.

My Friend Martin said it was a very good gig by the way... idiot!

Charlie boy

Boxing Hares
That BBC Introducing keeps playing them and I took to looking for more of the songs myself.

Richmond Clements

I have recently rediscovered Southern Rock Opera by the brilliant Drive By Truckers.

Welcome back, old friend!

CrazyFoxMachine

The Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell - amazing retro hard rocky band who will be at the mighty DESERTFEST in London and are supporting Orange Goblin on their tour soon :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXP0Tno_vLg

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 24 January, 2013, 01:03:11 PM
The Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell - amazing retro hard rocky band who will be at the mighty DESERTFEST in London and are supporting Orange Goblin on their tour soon :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXP0Tno_vLg

Nuts - going to see Orange Goblin in the Welsh Club in Cardiff week after next, but will probably arrive too late to see the support.  Damn shame!!

Albion

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 January, 2013, 03:08:20 PM
Nuts - going to see Orange Goblin in the Welsh Club in Cardiff week after next, but will probably arrive too late to see the support.  Damn shame!!

I'm seeing them in Brighton next Thursday so I'll ty to check the support out too.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

GordyM

The new Emilie Autumn album 'Fight Like a Girl'. Not as good as her previous one but still some great tunes and of course the haunting melodies she excells at.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

exilewood

Sorry I ain't been around. Busy, busy. - Been in the States - recording an album - so, what am I listening to? I'm listening to me! & my beautiful partner in crime. Hear it here -

www.facebook.com/pistolqueen

We'd really appreciate any support & hope you dig the tunes!

Cheers!

shaolin_monkey

Oh my god - one of my favourite, and rarest, live blues albums has just turned up on ITUNES!!!! Do you know how hard it is to get this on CD and vinyl?!?

I first came across this album 23 years ago.  I bought it on vinyl at a record fair, on a whim.  It was one of my best 'random record buys' ever!!

I taped it, then lent the vinyl to a french guyI knew who buggered off back to France with it.  For years I had to make do with the tapes.  When the internet came along the first thing I did was search online to find a CD version of it.  Finally found one, which I had to import from America.  I ripped it, and it's been on my iPod ever since.  A month doesn't go by without me sticking it on at least once.

If you like blues, jazz or boogie woogie get this RIGHT NOW! You won't regret it - it's in my top five live albums of all time.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/blues...-real-summit-meeting/id327706572

johnnystress

Quote from: exilewood on 25 January, 2013, 11:36:13 PM
Sorry I ain't been around. Busy, busy. - Been in the States - recording an album - so, what am I listening to? I'm listening to me! & my beautiful partner in crime. Hear it here -

www.facebook.com/pistolqueen

We'd really appreciate any support & hope you dig the tunes!

Cheers!

I dig

very nice

judda fett

I've just been goin through some old tapes converting some odds an sods to mp3 and have rediscovered PJ Harvey's Sheela Na Gig from an old compilation I made. Rockin good tune.

judda fett

And now Mudhoney- Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More, followed by Hole- Teenage Whore.