Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 12 December, 2016, 10:22:02 AM
My girlfriend is minding a pal's house while he's away so last night I spent a good hour fucking around with his range of fully assembled Lego Technics stuff. This truck was my favourite.

Drokk me but that's gorgeous. Need that lottery win even more now!

JayzusB.Christ

Back in my hometown for Christmas, and I noticed a rainbow flag beside the tricolour at the gates of the once nun-infested all-girls secondary school. Much as I believe that single-sex schools are a ludicrous concept, it's nice to see that rural Ireland has grown up just a little bit (even as the US seems intent on reverting back to the national equivalent of a shitting, grabbing, tantrum-throwing toddler).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 November, 2016, 04:14:52 PM
In a day of general lows and habitual drinking over kaiju films, I got a response from a job interview and am now a trainee barista. That right, i'm the stereotypical millennial ex-college student you all hear about! :lol:

Mmmm, coffee!  Congrats!

JayzusB.Christ

Although I lost my best friend last week, I'm very glad to have realised that he's passed all our old in-jokes, expressions and stories on to his wife, who I've got to know very well since.
'Fuckface' and 'The Blonde Bastard' retain the nicknames they never knew they had! The 'Iist of ten' text game continues! It's (almost) like the dear old fecker never left!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SuperSurfer

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 January, 2017, 02:22:39 PM
Although I lost my best friend last week, I'm very glad to have realised that he's passed all our old in-jokes, expressions and stories on to his wife, who I've got to know very well since.
'Fuckface' and 'The Blonde Bastard' retain the nicknames they never knew they had! The 'Iist of ten' text game continues! It's (almost) like the dear old fecker never left!

When I lost a close friend and colleague in 2011 another friend brilliantly encapsulated our feelings by quoting Aeschylus:
"There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief."

That line still gets me.

JayzusB.Christ

Yes, that sums things up perfectly. Although it's been incredibly hard for me, I can't begin to imagine the pain his wife and mother feel. But there is pleasure and even fun to be had recounting the memories and joking around in the way he always did.
He was a massive fan of Withnail & I; and our last holiday together involved a pilgrimage to Uncle Monty's house in the Lake District.  Next month a big group of us are going to celebrate his birthday with a trip to a similar cottage, with sherry and cakes and the finest wines known to humanity.

The Legendary Shark

It's good to know you're coping, JBC.

The good ones never really leave us.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Something Fishy

sorry to hear that Jazus.  Good to hear you guys remember your friend so fondly, says it all about him.

JayzusB.Christ

staticgirl

That quote from Aeschylus is wonderful and very true. One thing I found out about my dad after he died long long ago was how well he was liked and that is a sweet sorrow.

I'm going to sign the contract on a new rented flat on Monday. It is more expensive (all flats are more expensive than mine - I was on borrowed time) but I'll save a little money on transport to make it less painful and it's next to a nature reserve. I have been looking for somewhere to live for three months since the landlord decided to chuck me out. Landlords are not happy I'm a bit late but frakk them. Nearly there! Gonna buy a RUG.

The Legendary Shark

Good to hear, SG - hope you and your new place get along okay and that your rug causes you fewer problems than The Dude!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bolt-01

staticgirl

Also a shower curtain which has a Kraken dragging down a sailing ship like this: http://bit.ly/2jxaCWp

Thanks for your support! I have been feeling very grateful for all the back up I've got online.

Mardroid

Great news StaticGirl. Hope all works out for you.

I really like the art on  that shower curtain.