Main Menu

Cinema Purgatorio by Moore, O'Neill & Friends

Started by Link Prime, 02 February, 2016, 04:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 March, 2016, 09:35:32 AM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 March, 2016, 03:36:30 PM
The Moore/O'Neill strip is decent enough as is the Ennis one. As for the rest? The same old same old US comics as far as I am concerned. But in black and white.
Disappointing to hear that 'Surfer, I'm eagerly awaiting a read of this.
I'd assumed Ennis & Gillen would have produced some decent work too.
I guess for me it just doesn't live up to this kind of hard sell:

"A different kind of dark..."
"...reaches for something both new and startling..."
"Why shouldn't the 21st century enjoy the craft and quality that the E.C. and Warren luminaries managed, but with an originality and freshness..."
"...push the envelope of sequential storytelling..."
"...unleash the new future of comics. The one of which Alan Moore has always dreamed. It's here, now. Hiding in the dark corner..."

Link Prime

Link Prime

Anyone still reading this?
Four issues in, and it's turning out to be a very enjoyable anthology (nothing compared to The Galaxy's Greatest, of course).
The highlight is obviously the Moore / O'Neill contribution, but the other stories have also been entertaining to various degrees.
I've found myself very fond of Ennis' Code Pru, and have since read the two 'prequel' issues- very funny stuff, with forgivable art.

One small annoyance- I notice that the price will increase from the already steep $5.99 to an eye-watering $6.99 in November. Just goes to show the bang for your buck you get from 2000AD.

Hawkmumbler

Hell yes I am, thoroughly enjoying this. Right now seems to be the prime time for anthologies with 2000AD, The Megazine, Cinema Purgatorio, Island, and Jump. I'm so glad people are embracing the glorious nature of the format.

Colin YNWA

Yeah still enjoying it. Couple of the stories I'm not big on, alas Pru mainly but overall a great comic.