Main Menu

Meg 330

Started by moly, 17 November, 2012, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Judge dredd ratfink finishes this issue at least we get a Xmas dredd next issue

Killer elite continues really enjoying this with a good cliffhanger at the end

7 page integer rotation with Neil google

Snapshot finally finishes must admit I stopped reading this a few issues ago so will need to re read it all in one go

Anderson loving boo cooks artwork on this

Buttonman

No Dreddlines for the 2nd time in 3 issues - a disgrace!

OK for me but why isn't Dredd executing Ratfink on the spot? I know the reason is Alan Grant isn't going to piss on his chips but it hardly makes sense.

Dredd's Killer Elite is better but how come his lawgiver starts working again after he runs out of bullets?

Snapshot finished in a contrived and unsatisfying manner and over all I think this was a misfire.

Anderson jumped cliches by moving from the disused church to jumping into someone's mind - glue factory for this one trick pony.

Not the best Meg for the first monthly but hopefully a couple of new stories will re-energise things.

vzzbux

QuoteDredd's Killer Elite is better but how come his lawgiver starts working again after he runs out of bullets?

Fresh magazine full of ammo my dear butt man.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Prodigal

Does american reaper start next issue chaps?

Buttonman

Quote from: vzzbux on 18 November, 2012, 04:30:02 PM
QuoteDredd's Killer Elite is better but how come his lawgiver starts working again after he runs out of bullets?

Fresh magazine full of ammo my dear butt man.

It's a fair guess but it is a guess - nothing in the art or dialogue confirmed it. We get the mild peril of Dredd running dry but when we return he's blazing away. It's like that chap's gun - if you introduce it in one breath you can't forget it in the next without the reader feeling shortchanged.

Quote from: The Prodigal on 18 November, 2012, 04:46:35 PM
Does american reaper start next issue chaps?

Indeed we do as well as the more welcome 'Insurrection', 'Ordinary' and a Dan Francisco tale predictably called 'The Streets of Dan Fransisco'.

Pioneer

Insurrection III? Am I missing something??

(Detecting sarcasm due to "The Streets Of Dan Francisco)

I, Cosh

Quote from: Pioneer on 18 November, 2012, 08:38:12 PM
Insurrection III? Am I missing something??
Yes. Hard to say. What do you think you're missing?

Another weak to mediocre Meg for me. Killer Elite was probably the highlight: some good fun, badass Dredd provides a nice tonic.

Snapshot started well but lost me somewhere along the way. Hopefully a reread will paint it in a better light.

Having seen a few other people do the same I was actually contemplating dropping the Meg but now Tharg's gone and hooked me with the prospect of a new Williams/D'Israeli story. He's a wily Betelgeusian and no mistake.
We never really die.

Buttonman

Quote from: Buttonman on 18 November, 2012, 06:52:05 PM. It's like that chap's gun - if you introduce it in one breath you can't forget it in the next without the reader feeling shortchanged.

Had a looksee it is of course [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun]Chekhov's gun[/url].

Pete Wells

I've just read the Dredd up to now. Trevallion's artwork is frikking brilliant and I want to (and do, I suppose) love the story but, I have a real problem with it. Forgive me if I'm wrong, in the original Ratfink story wasn't he just an ugly, nasty little redneck?

Now he's making sonic pulses to control rad ants and legions of rats. Where did this come from? The sudden acquisition of supernatural powers has cheapened the character for me. Buttonman is right too, he was about to be executed in part one (tied to a stake with a gun pointed at his head) why didn't Dredd just finish the job?

Buttonman

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Pete Wells on 18 November, 2012, 10:30:33 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, in the original Ratfink story wasn't he just an ugly, nasty little redneck?
Now he's making sonic pulses to control rad ants and legions of rats. Where did this come from? The sudden acquisition of supernatural powers has cheapened the character for me. Buttonman is right too, he was about to be executed in part one (tied to a stake with a gun pointed at his head) why didn't Dredd just finish the job?

I hate to say it given his obvious provenance on the character, but I really wish Alan Grant would stay away from Dredd - and especially from characters/plots set up by Wagner. This has been a perfect example of why. It's not been a baaad story, but it's not been a patch on the original and Ratfink himself has really suffered. Imagine, by contrast, what Al Ewing could have done with this!
@jamesfeistdraws

DrJomster

The Googe interview by Molch-R was the best bit of the Meg by far for me. Really interesting stuff and well written. Don't even think about cancelling the articles, Thargy!

Tiernan's art remains pretty damn good I have to say. Mr Cook can be rather good too.

I know it's been said before, but Snapshot really looks and feels like a pitch for a film, too much so I'd say.

Looking forward to some of the new stuff!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Pioneer

QuoteInsurrection III? Am I missing something??
Yes. Hard to say. What do you think you're missing?

Yeah sorry, just read the Editor's Letter! Don't usually read it as time's not on my side... Exciting stuff though!

Trout

Yeah, I agree with Cosh about the Rennie story being the best part of the comic. It's all sorts of violent Dredd bang bang shooty shooty story. Love Paul Marshall's art, too.

Beyond that, I enjoyed Ratfink and Anderson pretty well. I think Alan Grant still has plenty of good stories in him, and these two helped make the Meg good value for money. I didn't read any of the other stuff.

- Trout

Proudhuff

You know that petite killer with Dredd reminds me of one of these guys, but which one?

Great cover, and artwork in the Ratfink story, yeah felt cheated by that ending, another one of to the cubes so he can reappear flogging a dead hearse.

Killer elite: great fun, should have been a reload in the art somewhere, after all thats what the wee pockets on his gloves are for!!

Snapshot: surprised this is part nine, i felt this could have happened a couple of issues back, still a fine ride while it lasted and a great downbeat ending, would have been better weekly in the prog.

Have yet to read the text thang but couldn't we get some new artwork to accompany these? say from up and coming artists from the fanbase rather than dig out ye oldie stuff from the 1990s?

Anderson: while Boo's artwork is cracking (and is that Ali Bongo I see?) the story has a 'been here before' feel to it. Tharg should hand Anderson to the E-Wing Droid for disassembling

Looks like a promising Xmas issue with a Mike Carroll Dredd and a Eglington MC1 Tale, nice.
DDT did a job on me