Main Menu

Who currently owns The Eagle?

Started by John Pannozzi, 21 November, 2016, 11:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Pannozzi

It's briefly mentioned here that Egmont sold off The Eagle in the 1990s.

But I haven't been able to find out who owns the Eagle now.  Is it the Dan Dare Corporation?  Or someone else?

The Monarch

yeah its the dan dare corporation who owns the comic and the characters within it

Hawkmumbler

Dan Dare Corp. and they're ruthless about who does and doesn't get a peep at their comics.

John Pannozzi

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if there's any chance of Rebellion buying out the Dan Dare Corporation in the future...

Pyroxian

Quote from: John Pannozzi on 22 November, 2016, 03:03:23 PM
Thanks for the info.  I wonder if there's any chance of Rebellion buying out the Dan Dare Corporation in the future...

I have all twelve of my fingers crossedI'm from Norfolk

IndigoPrime

I've only had limited dealings with DDC, but as far as I could tell they're pragmatists.

Professor Bear

DDC own the native Eagle stuff, but I don't know if they own the Battle, Scream, or Tiger material which originated elsewhere.  I imagine they don't own things reprinted from 2000ad, and it would be highly unlikely that they entirely own Computer Warrior's crossovers with Indiana Jones/Ghostbusters, or Legend of the Linkits or any of the many other toy tie-ins printed in the book over the years, and certainly not Robo Machines, which is derived from the Gobots franchise currently owned by Hasbro and possibly sub-licensed by default to IDW through their Transformers deal.

But basically DDC own all the strips that appeared in Eagle, except for all the ones they don't. 

Smith

Not the best place to ask,but just to check-Rebellion now own Steel Claw,Spider and Archie?

Hawkmumbler

Not sure about Steel Claw or Robot Archie, but DC still own The Spider I think.

Tony Angelino

I don't think they are owned by Rebellion as they were created in the 1960's.

auxlen

I really want to see the 80s Dan dare collected...Ian kennedy art (yum)...plus i remember an awesome flying shark on a chain that was drawn by someone else....

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: auxlen on 22 November, 2016, 06:08:33 PM
plus i remember an awesome flying shark on a chain that was drawn by someone else....

Oliver Frey, if memory serves...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tony Angelino

I wonder do Rebellion have plans to reprint the Dare stories from the 1980's Eagle?

Who was the artist who drew the strip before Ian Kennedy. I'm sure someone else drew the early issues

Smith

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 22 November, 2016, 05:50:19 PM
I don't think they are owned by Rebellion as they were created in the 1960's.
I got the details now.Still,too bad.Nobody is using them anyway.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 November, 2016, 06:23:00 PM
Quote from: auxlen on 22 November, 2016, 06:08:33 PM
plus i remember an awesome flying shark on a chain that was drawn by someone else....

Oliver Frey, if memory serves...

And Gerry Embleton, prior to Frey's two-part stint between Ron's younger bruv and Ian Kennedy.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.