Main Menu

Jimbo's 1/12th ABC Warriors (and friends)

Started by Dark Jimbo, 18 January, 2016, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

'Uugh! Foul is the fruit of the Warlock!'

So Torquemada exclaimed when first meeting Thoth, errant son of Nemesis. Far be it for me to argue with that, but with a certain black tyrannosaur suddenly looming on the horizon (if 3A is to be believed), the time seemed right for an appearance by this homicidal homunculus.

I'd been really happy with my last build – Blackblood's cyber-pooch Spike – but he'd felt a little static. I wanted Thoth to have some articulation. I'm no engineer, so the easy answer was to get somebody else to do the hard work and simply sculpt over an existing action figure.

I started with a Marvel Legends Iron Man, for no particular reason other than it was cheap (£3) and had all the articulation of a bigger figure but was only 4 inches tall – Thoth's a wee little thing, so this would make him just the right size compared to the standard 6 inches of the 1/12th figures.

The first thing to do was to prep his antlers and spine – I bent some paperclips into the rough shape I wanted and glued these to his head (the tape is just to hold it while the glue dried).

Thoth's generally depicted as a stumpy little fella, so I ended up chopping off the figure's hands and feet to get shorter limbs in proportion to his body. In fact I chopped off the whole lower half of his legs – and you'll see why!

I screwed two small screws into the backs of the stumps at a sharp angle and used these to mount wooden dowels that would be the basis for his lower legs...

Then it was simply a case of over-sculpting it all.

Obviously it was Bryan Talbot I was riffing off here, the artist who drew Thoth most often. In many ways he's simply a smaller version of an adult warlock, but altogether dumpier, with a gloopy, semi-embryonic form.

Painting was fairly simple. A classic warlock green – but a slightly more neon colour than I imagined an adult would have - and some crazy red eyes. I added a few veins to hint at the fact he's still only half-developed, and finished with a wash of slightly diluted gloss varnish to make him look a bit liquid.

And he was ready to try to bring about the end of the world as we know it!
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

This stuff is AMAZING. So, so good, Jimbo.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Bloody hell, that is just remarkable. The way you've captured the gleam in Thoth's eye - pure Talbot come to life!

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Greg M. on 17 July, 2016, 06:41:47 PM
The way you've captured the gleam in Thoth's eye - pure Talbot come to life!

Talbot's designs are just a gift to work into three dimensions.

I've got a shortlist of 20 characters that I'm aiming to end up with at the end of this project - whether 3A give us one or I have to make them myself - and I'm so lucky in that O'Neill and Talbot did the bulk of the Millsverse design work (with a little help from Kev Walker). Great artists to sculpt from.
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

That Thoth is the best, Jimbob! Thanks for sharing these class pieces of art!

Judge Nutmeg

Mikey

I both love and hate you in equal measure Jimbo. I have so much want, so little talent!

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

PlanetReplicas

These are truly amazing !
Shard on my Facebook page ;-)
www.planetreplicas.com

info@planetreplicas.com
www.facebook.com/PlanetReplicas

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

COMMANDO FORCES

judda fett

Good work Jimbo, you make me wanna build stuff again.

Dark Jimbo

Thanks lads! Your feedback keeps me at it when doubt and frustration sets in.

@jamesfeistdraws