Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Crossing a big name off the much neglected To Read List with DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS by Wyndham. It's jolly good stuff, but a tad less meandering on the silence of the world and a bit more of the Triffids actively living up to their reputation.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 11 January, 2017, 05:33:14 PM
I could also say the same about Watchmen which I thought had a weak ending and I can see why they changed it for the film.

I can see why they changed it for the film too, but the comic itself has a magnificent ending, one of the best, most thought-provoking endings I've read in any medium: never believe that you know that the ends justify your terrible/brilliant means because nothing ends. If they make 'em better than that, I've yet to see it.

JayzusB.Christ

Just finished A Decent Ride by Irvine Welsh. I like that I can fly through his stuff despite my internet-shattered powers of concentration.
Easily one of his better ones, though a lot of his stuff is dreadful gubbins altogether to be fair.  But the Mark Renton trilogy is excellent and this is almost up there with it - and Juice Terry is one of Welsh's best creations.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

I'm reading Laird Barron's The Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All. Not sure I get on with the writing, then suddenly something really clicks for a few pages and the right level of creepiness is achieved. The stories are a bit uneven but all have something to them, and it's a good thing to read in the wake of finishing Fatale. Still, perhaps a little disappointed, as only one story has really been top-notch and Laird Barron was glowingly recommended in a few places (even here maybe? Can't recall).

Old Tankie

Re-reading Warren Ellis's Crecy, good fun.

Mardroid

I chomped my way through Necropolis (the Megacollection volume) tonight, for the first time. Great read!

I kinda wish I'd got Oz in the recent sale and read that first though. It didn't appeal at the time, as I figured it majored in Chopper (which I think it does). I just didn't realise it also included the storyline dealing with the Judda clones and Kraken 's origins. Never mind, I can get to it later.

Thankfully I had read The Dead Man already.

Interesting seeing Giant Jr as a young 'un.

jacob g

I'm rereading Wiliam Gibson's Bridge Trilogy. And I'm impressed, after 15 years I'm enjoying them even more (and I loved them back then). Gibson have some flaws but in the long run his ideas works perfectly.

But I never read his last book (Peripheral?) so I know what will be next after last page of "All Tomorrow Parties".
margaritas ante porcos

von Boom

Quote from: jacob g on 14 January, 2017, 12:25:02 PM
I'm rereading Wiliam Gibson's Bridge Trilogy. And I'm impressed, after 15 years I'm enjoying them even more (and I loved them back then). Gibson have some flaws but in the long run his ideas works perfectly.

But I never read his last book (Peripheral?) so I know what will be next after last page of "All Tomorrow Parties".

Peripheral is really great if you're a Gibson fan. As usual he throws you into his world without any sort of a net and leaves you to either figure it out or not. I loved it, but I've heard a few complaints from people who wanted more explanations and such.

Mardroid

I read Judgement Day last night. It was enjoyable enough as an action futuristic zombie romp. Kinda shocked by the sheer amount of deaths which number [spoiler]in the Billions, and are partly instigated by the judges themselves, albeit as control measures for the greater good. A genocide far greater than even Chaos Day, although the latter hit Mega City One far harder.

The resolution made little sense in that it was rather contradictory to my understanding.[/spoiler]

So, rather flawed as these mega epics go, but I found it fun overall. [spoiler] I even found the singing superzombies at the end amusing, although I bet they got on a lot of readers' wicks! Hee hee.[/spoiler]

Smith

Quote from: Mardroid on 15 January, 2017, 04:54:57 PM
I read Judgement Day last night. It was enjoyable enough as an action futuristic zombie romp. Kinda shocked by the sheer amount of deaths which number [spoiler]in the Billions, and are partly instigated by the judges themselves, albeit as control measures for the greater good. A genocide far greater than even Chaos Day, although the latter hit Mega City One far harder.

The resolution made little sense in that it was rather contradictory to my understanding.[/spoiler]

So, rather flawed as these mega epics go, but I found it fun overall. [spoiler] I even found the singing superzombies at the end amusing, although I bet they got on a lot of readers' wicks! Hee hee.[/spoiler]

Looking at the letters from the Meg of the time-yeah,that annoyed a lot of people.

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't like it at the time, and I still don't.  I've ranted at length on this board about it though.  Mind you, I think I'm the only person in the world who liked Garth's returns to Dredd (Helter Skelter and Monkey on my Back), and still can't understand the hostility towards them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Is there hostility towards Monkey on my Back? I thought it was great - at the time I felt it was Ennis's best-ever Dredd story. (Hostility towards Helter Skelter - that I get.)

Smith

I probably said it before but I have a bit of a soft spot for Helter Skelter,because its one of the first stories I read in the prog,but it kinda comes off as "Hey,remember those guys?Those guys were awesome?".

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Smith on 15 January, 2017, 06:34:40 PM
I probably said it before but I have a bit of a soft spot for Helter Skelter,because its one of the first stories I read in the prog,but it kinda comes off as "Hey,remember those guys?Those guys were awesome?".

But I thought Kenzie was a good character, and Garth Ennis finally had Dredd's character nailed.  (Menacing and terse but articulate and reflective, not saying 'drokkin'' before every second word.)

Smith

Its not a bad story,just maybe a bit too nostalgic,so to speak.Like a funeral for 2000AD of Garths childhood.
Still,I was 6-7 when I read it the first time and I thought it was the coolest thing ever,and it got me interested in all those cameo guys,so in a way,it worked.