Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

That is shitty Fishy. I hope you find something soon. Something you enjoy hopefully.

Something Fishy

Thank you Von Boom.

I hope so.  There is always that worry that I might ever work again or something but I am hoping I will.

I really wanted my son to be the other side of uni before this happened as it means I won't be able to help him much but sadly my health had other ideas.  At least he's 18 this year so I've managed nearly through to him being adult.

von Boom

I'm sure he'll understand. My parents couldn't help me with uni, but I managed to get through.

I have no doubt he'd rather see you well and pain free and not worrying about him. Hopefully things will work out for your whole family.

Old Tankie

The Legendary Shark

That sucks, Fishy. So sorry to hear it. Don't despair, though - there's always something. Maybe you could teach computers to the partially sighted or something - no, this is not meant to be facetious. When life gives you lemons and all that.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Thanks Von, I hope so.  He's a bright and nice chap so I think so.

Something Fishy

Not yet tankie sadly.  My fusion has gone within 100 cm in all directions and to the sides in all directions and just seeing is agony.  Because I have fusion directly in front though beyond 100cm it's not yet a full disability.  It will be a functional disability in a couple of years.

The problem I have is it is horribly painful right now, so I have to stop now. But sadly I can't get help.

Something Fishy

Thanks sharkie.  You make a good point, something in teaching is exactly what I am hoping to do.  I do have a PGCE I'm not using it teacher would be too much so I am hoping some sort of learning support role might be possible.  I will be volunteering in a local school to try it out.

JayzusB.Christ

Aw man, sorry to hear that, Fishy. I have a mate in a similar predicament; he's agonising over whether to get potentially damaging surgery or not. Hope things work out for you anyway
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Something Fishy

Cheers jayzus.  I had it three times, it came back every time anyway.  With bearing in mind.

Something Fishy

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry to hear the operations were unsuccessful.  In my mate's case, he'll definitely go blind eventually without them, but the operation could make him instantly blind if it goes wrong.  It's a tough call; I think he's putting it off till he really, really needs it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Something Fishy

Ah yeah. Worth the risk then.

In fairness mine would have led to functional blindness far sooner without them, it's just a lot of pain but I wouldn't have kept going unti now without it.  So yeah mine had that same risk but it was worth it really.

staticgirl

That sounds awful Fishy. You have my sympathies.

Don't worry about your boy - I also had no financial help as my dad had just died and they wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway even if he didn't but I still got through the end with a good mark. University is all about learning to stand on your own two feet anyway.

Something Fishy

Thanks staticgirl.  I appreciate that.

Yeah thank you, it's good to here of people who got through without it.  Myself and my sister did too, mum very poor and dad very absent and as tight as they come but more help was available back then so I had nothing like the loans he will have (though it's more like a tax than a direct loan these days I guess).

I'm sure he will be ok and if he gets the grades he's capable of he could also apply for scholarships. 

I just had a real hope I could last long enough to be able to help.  I feel sad really. I m glad though that I've been able to give him a comfortable life up until half way through his 18th year.