Main Menu

The weekend thread (again)

Started by richerthanyou, 22 January, 2016, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 01 February, 2016, 02:24:28 PM
The other one. He would hi-ex extras off the set for hardly any reason at all.

Rob Schneider? Jürgen Prochnow?

Hawkmumbler

Rob Schneider is many things but I would never have taken him for an arse hole.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: CalHab on 02 February, 2016, 09:51:54 AM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 01 February, 2016, 02:24:28 PM
The other one. He would hi-ex extras off the set for hardly any reason at all.

Rob Schneider? Jürgen Prochnow?
No. The little 'un.

The Enigmatic Dr X

This weekend I will mostly be in New York.

Yay!
Lock up your spoons!

richerthanyou

This weekend I will be looking for somewhere to live, packing my things and walking up a big hill :D
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Hawkmumbler

This weekend i'm heading down to Scapa Flow to do my TecRec40 course. Let's go deep!

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 31 January, 2016, 11:56:27 PM
Hope things have improved for your father, Dave.

Thanks mate - slight improvement, relayed to me by sister, in that he looks healthier (he's still in hospital, and likely to be for a few weeks) and he hasn't had a smoke in over 2 weeks (since the day of the fall)

He's had a scan on his head (to ensure that fall didn't cause a problem) and all clear there. And his heart & lungs are fine - especially for a man who has been smoking since he was 12 and is now 78. Unfortunately the diabetes treatement has had to move from metformin pills to insulin injections, so he's on that for the rest of his life.

As far as his legs are concerned, they are still feeding him antibiotics and performing daily cleaning rituals - and edging closer to time for surgery. They've moved him from a general ward back to a surgical ward, so it could be any day soon that he will be in for that.

This weekend, I will be mostly playing with my kids as I've not had much time recently to do it and we've got lots of catch up to do :D
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

I, Cosh

At least he's being looked after now.

I'm on the train to Geneva. Four days snowboarding in Les Carroz d'Arraches. Spitting feathers as I accidentally lost four cans while changing trains.
We never really die.

DaveGYNWA

Well, here's some news that has brightened the weekend up: just got an update on the plan for the next few days with Dad....he has been moved on to the surgical ward for the next round of treatment which will begin on Tuesday. The antibiotics and cleaning have done such a good job that they are not currently considering any amputation at all. So, what is the treatment on the surgical ward going to be?

MAGGOTS - he'll be getting a bag of 'baby' maggots attached to his legs on Tuesday and they'll be having a munch from then on, and they'll see where things lie after a few days of that. They may even introduce leeches.

The wonders of modern medicine, eh?

Old Tankie

Mardroid

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 05 February, 2016, 07:44:24 PM
Well, here's some news that has brightened the weekend up: just got an update on the plan for the next few days with Dad....he has been moved on to the surgical ward for the next round of treatment which will begin on Tuesday. The antibiotics and cleaning have done such a good job that they are not currently considering any amputation at all. So, what is the treatment on the surgical ward going to be?

MAGGOTS - he'll be getting a bag of 'baby' maggots attached to his legs on Tuesday and they'll be having a munch from then on, and they'll see where things lie after a few days of that. They may even introduce leeches.

The wonders of modern medicine, eh?

While I have heard of maggots being used as treatment for putrifying flesh (as in, they get rid of it) I never thought modern medicine would use them, no. But hey, if they work...

Incidentally, aren't maggots by their very nature kind of babies? Or these are a particularly small breed, or maybe they are smaller when newly hatched....

Concerning what I'm doing this weekend:

I'm going to meet a mate soon for a coffee and (possibly) a beer. I also have a chore that really need doing as I've put it off a good while... (Changing bed and vacuuming room, in case you're interested. Lots of stuff to pick up off the floor first though.)

At some point I need to finish off my entry to the story competition thread. First draft is done but there is a bit to add, and a LOT to remove.

Tomorrow, maybe church.

TordelBack

Wallowing in my own crapulence after some poor choices of bargain alcohol. And poor choices generally.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 February, 2016, 02:36:08 PM
....or maybe they are smaller when newly hatched....

They're ickle until they've had some nom nom nom and thus appear as we more commonly know them. I'm still amazed that it's a treatment - but hey, if it works then all good.

Dandontdare

Felt cooped up and stuffy today so got a tram up to Heaton Park and had a bracing 90 minute stomp around the park and woods in the rain, followed by a few pints with the Saturday newspaper in a local boozer.

Bought a steak on the way home, which I've just noshed with mash and carrots, and I can feel a nap coming on...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 February, 2016, 09:24:04 PM
Felt cooped up and stuffy today so got a tram up to Heaton Park and had a bracing 90 minute stomp around the park and woods in the rain, followed by a few pints with the Saturday newspaper in a local boozer.

Bought a steak on the way home, which I've just noshed with mash and carrots, and I can feel a nap coming on...
Mildly jealous of you DDD! I'm long due a bit of down time rather than all the mad rushing about that seem's to sum up my life right now.

Scapa Flow was excellent, at first. But a slight incident this afternoon involving a diver (not with us and i'm in no real position to disclose details) put pay to us going out this afternoon. Hope tomorrow turns out better before the long drive home.