Main Menu

Remember the good old days?

Started by richerthanyou, 26 January, 2016, 09:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

I did have weird (good) cinemas, but then I'm thinking back to the mid 1970's where you could walk in in the middle of a double feature and watch it as many times until they turned it off.

Oh, and people ate at home. Not in the f*cking place they went to watch a film.

Told you I was old.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 January, 2016, 06:11:07 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 January, 2016, 05:51:51 PM
Personally, I like our local Vue: I can book my seat online and show up dead on time, rather than showing up half an hour early, just to guarantee not being struck at the front.

Yeah, I'm a convert to the online booking system at Cineworld. Book specified seats for myself, the missus, anyone else who's going, download the QR code to my phone and just turn up and walk straight in.

Cheers

Jim

yeah, I do that with my unlimited card with Cineworld. Not once have I been in a film showing with the screening more than 50% full. Nice to do but utterly pointless where I live. I've seen Star Wars and SPECTRE in, what I like to call, a private show. Ie, there was just me. Heaven.

Grugz

pound notes...much lighter than the coins
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 26 January, 2016, 06:13:42 PM
yeah, I do that with my unlimited card with Cineworld. Not once have I been in a film showing with the screening more than 50% full. Nice to do but utterly pointless where I live.

It's been invaluable with Force Awakens — we skipped three showings shortly after release because you could actually see how full the showing already was. Plus, whenever possible I blag the seats dead centre and two-thirds of the way back, which is perfect for the IMAX screen.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 January, 2016, 06:28:53 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 26 January, 2016, 06:13:42 PM
yeah, I do that with my unlimited card with Cineworld. Not once have I been in a film showing with the screening more than 50% full. Nice to do but utterly pointless where I live.

It's been invaluable with Force Awakens — we skipped three showings shortly after release because you could actually see how full the showing already was. Plus, whenever possible I blag the seats dead centre and two-thirds of the way back, which is perfect for the IMAX screen.

Cheers!

Jim
My boy and I went on the first full day. 300 seater. 14 people in there. Love living in the middle of nowhere.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 26 January, 2016, 03:24:51 PM
I miss flipper dippers and tomato ketchup flavour walkers crisps.

And Firefly.

Fuck off you're not allowed to be nostalgic. When we're all dead, we expect you to be on the 2000AD thought-net waxing nostalgic about laptops and human shop-assistants.

Hawkmumbler

Hey! The 90's was a long time ago (thank fuck!).  :lol:

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 26 January, 2016, 07:19:33 PM

Nonsense, it's barely even the mid-'90s in my head. 

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tordelback on 26 January, 2016, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 26 January, 2016, 07:19:33 PM

Nonsense, it's barely even the mid-'90s in my head.

Just past mid 70's in mine  :'(

O Lucky Stevie!

Remember when Man was the sole tool-making species & Saturn the only planet with rings?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

JamesC

I miss old Christmases.
I think old Christmases were more fun, people seemed to embrace the sense of occasion more and accept the tacky, naff side. Christmas decorations just had to be colourful and could be home made. Now people want a colour scheme and the decorations have to fit in with some sense of interior design (ugh)!
Advent calendars were a thrill because you got to see what picture was behind the door - not a chocolate in sight.
The food and drink was a real treat - the only time we ever had chocolates and fizzy drinks in the house.
The Christmas telly was an occasion in itself and we'd spend ages going through the Christmas Radio Times (for BBC) and TV Times (for ITV and 4) marking off what we wanted to see.
Maybe things are better these days but I'd go back to an old Christmas if I could.

ThryllSeekyr

Decorations and tree with lights on it.

wed on't even do that anymore.

When I was much younger and still had a mother, things were different, and we did a bit of both. We used decoration we had purchased, but they might last for years, and some time we would buy a bit more to add to it, and then were were the home made ones that where two long strips brightly coloured paper were woven to tighter a bit like two Mobeius strips and they kind look better when strung around the place.

These days all that seems like waste of time  and can't stand my other relatives with their families, so I avoid the big family Xmas a parties snow. 

Professor Bear

Non-chain cinemas, showing whatever piece of tat they could get their hands on even if it was a tv movie that was at least a decade old.  I recall my local flea pit showing Columbo movies and an Ewoks double bill that seemed to do a decent trade, as well as a double of the Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century pilot movies (which apart from anything else must have been at least 4 hours long).  These weren't "ironic" showings, either, they were what passed as proper films.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JamesC on 27 January, 2016, 06:59:56 AM
I miss old Christmases.
I think old Christmases were more fun, people seemed to embrace the sense of occasion more and accept the tacky, naff side. Christmas decorations just had to be colourful and could be home made.

Hmmm... sounds a wee bit like you just miss being a kid at Christmas, like everyone does. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"