Main Menu

I've lost my Windows 7 Product Key!

Started by Keef Monkey, 06 July, 2012, 08:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Hello!

I had to put my PC in for repair recently because the motherboard needed replaced, and the guy had to reinstall Windows 7. Unfortunately because the PC was homemade by my brother and he didn't hold onto the product key I'm now being told I need to pay for another license.

Obviously I don't want to do that unless I really have to, so thought I'd check if anyone else has had this problem and how to get around it?

I thought emailing Microsoft support and explaining the situation might be a start, but when I try to email them I get asked to pay £46 for the service, which blew my mind.

Any help appreciated!

Professor Bear

On one hand you don't have Windows 7 on your pc, but on the other hand, YOU DON'T HAVE WINDOWS 7 ON YOUR PC - the glass is half full.

If you've already discounted Linux as an option, ask any mates that work in small businesses if they have a spare copy of W7 laying around and if they could maybe scan the label and email it to you.

Banners

If you had an OEM version of W7 I believe it's tied to that specific motherboard, so I think you will have to get a new license anyway.

TordelBack

Can't help you with getting a legal key, but having recently had to install Windows 7 Ultimate and OS-X Lion as dual-boot option on a company's collection of shiny new MacBooks I remain in awe of Microsoft's business practices. 

Installing the Mac OS: there ya go buddy, see what you need, take what you want, download it, stick on a USB drive, update it, whatever suits, that's a couple of quid tops or maybe not and best of luck to you, have fun.

Installing Windows: Over 300 euro a pop, this version won't run on that machine, this version isn't in stock but we can order it from the warehouse but that'll have to ship from England so it'll take a few days (An overseas warehouse. For software.  In 2012), no you can only use each licence once, no that version is OEM and only for a specific new factory-built machine, no you must register NOW, you MUST sign-up, no tech-support or updates until you DO, oh and please DROKK OFF. 

Contrasting experiences to say the least.  As the dim-but-happy user of pretty-much only open-source software for the past year I really wonder how this sort of 20th C protectionist thing is still viable.

Professor Bear

You also kind of come to understand why Mac users have a reputation for being smug, don't you?  They deserve to be.

Banners

Quote from: Professah Byah on 06 July, 2012, 09:20:44 AM
You also kind of come to understand why Mac users have a reputation for being smug, don't you?  They deserve to be.

My lady's Macbook can't print properly (the colours are really dark). It opens two windows (one for music and one for Time Machine) which you can't hide on connecting to the server - every time you boot up. iTunes resets its preferences all the time and the wireless connection is nowhere as strong as on my cheap Acer laptop. It can't play any decent games, and there's no hash nor delete keys.

In this house, it's the Windows 7 user (ie. me) who's the smug one.

Banners

Dan Kelly

Banners

Quote from: Dan Kelly

Option-3
Fn-backspace

I know the shortcuts, but my Lady doesn't ;-)

TordelBack

Professor Bear

Quote from: Banners on 06 July, 2012, 09:51:36 AMIn this house, it's the Windows 7 user (ie. me) who's the smug one.

Only until your missus buys a 'pooter that isn't borked.

CraveNoir

You could always use the free Windows 8 Release Preview for the time being. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
and maybe tame it with Classic Shell http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Banners

Quote from: Professah Byah

I didn't think Macs were supposed to be "borked". I thought they just worked?

Keef Monkey

Oh, I didn't meant to incite a Mac/PC flamewar!

Problem is now solved, a guy from work had a piece of software which um, sorted it ;)

A shame that such tactics were necessary though, but I don't really have the cash to pay for Windows twice just because our motherboard frazzled.

Thanks guys!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Banners on 06 July, 2012, 11:50:06 AM
Quote from: Professah Byah

I didn't think Macs were supposed to be "borked". I thought they just worked?

I am no consumer watchdog or owt, but most new things tend to work as advertised or you bring them back to the shop.