Main Menu

1970's Battle strip?

Started by Goatilocks, 03 December, 2009, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatilocks

I'm looking for the name of a WWII comic strip that I think appeared either in Battle or Action back in the mid/late 1970's. It concerned a young boy, living with his parents in Burma, who sets out on a violent, revenge rampage to slay a squad of Japanese soldiers who butchered his folks. The story was written in diary form, and was quite gruesome as I recall. Somebody suggested that perhaps this story was in Warlord, but perhaps it was too brutal for Lord Flint ..?

Anyone know the name of this strip? Writer and/or artist?

Many thanks in advance.

Dandontdare

Sounds like Batman meets Darkie's Mob! But sorry, no actual helpful suggestions.

vzzbux

Sorry don't have a clue.

Welcome to the board by the way.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Goatilocks

Thanks for the welcome.

As you can probably guess I was a kid in the 70's who grew up on comics and collected 2000AD for many, many years. Though I still have a glut of back progs I must confess I haven't read an issue (or the Meg) in quite a while, but have been greedily consuming re-print specials & Rebellion's graphic novels.

As for this long-lost Battle story ...  :'(

OpusAndBill

Quote from: Goatilocks on 03 December, 2009, 08:38:35 PM
I'm looking for the name of a WWII comic strip that I think appeared either in Battle or Action back in the mid/late 1970's. It concerned a young boy, living with his parents in Burma, who sets out on a violent, revenge rampage to slay a squad of Japanese soldiers who butchered his folks. The story was written in diary form, and was quite gruesome as I recall. Somebody suggested that perhaps this story was in Warlord, but perhaps it was too brutal for Lord Flint..?

This might be a story called Vengeance Raid. I haven't read it myself, but found a reference to it here: http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformationPages/TemplateMemoryLane.asp?NewScreen=1

The poster thinks it appeared in Warlord. It would not be unfamiliar territory for Warlord as they definitely ran a strip called Fight Or Die, about a thirteen year old boy who joins the Norwegian resistance after the nazis murder his parents. That strip began in #52.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.
Boasting the efficacy of Oliver Wendell Jones' Hair Tonic.

Goatilocks

This was my original query. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

POSTED ON 26/03/2003
by Al (e-mail address not supplied). 
In reply to the entry about the boy hunting down the Japanese unit. I had totally forgotten about this story until reading that e-mail. I think it was called Vengeance Trail and it may have run in Warlord. Not sure though 

POSTED ON 12/02/2003
by Bacteria13 
Does anyone remember a comic strip from the Battle era about a boy who's parents are murdered by a Japanese unit, forcing the kid to hunt them down one by one, killing them in an extremly violent way? Any help would be appriciated.

billymasters

Hi Goatilocks - if you're still here and interested in Vengeance Trail I have the first ever episode on my desk. It was in Bullet (which later merged with and then was subsumed into Warlord) but I can't see who wrote it.

It was one of my favourite strips as a kid, partly because it was brutal and awful - unlike jolly japes such as Three Men in a Jeep, and Union Jack Jackson. Even as a kid I felt that war shouldn't be made to seem like fun. I have always remembered certain scenes very clearly, including the very end.

Anyway, the main character was called Billy Masters and his quarries were Koto, Four-eyes, Bandana and Gorilla. Let me know if you want a picture.

Cheers.