Main Menu

Looking for a affordable flat style A3 scanner

Started by Hawkmumbler, 01 February, 2016, 06:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Can anyone recommend a good A3 "flat" style scanner? Up until recently i've been using my fathers Epson (A4) but now they are moving abroad it'll be going with them, I could really do with my own.

Professor Bear

Mustek A3s always seem to be circulating in the second hand-sphere, and while they're slow and noisy clunkers compared to modern makes and models, I have to admit I've never actually had any problems with the one I bought off Amazon Marketplace for about 80 nicker 7 or so years back.

Whatever make you end up with, though, be ready to have to track down a driver for your particular OS.  That can occasionally be frustrating.

pauljholden

Depends on your budget, as brother bear has already suggested the Mustek A3s are cheap (but by "frustrating" he may mean "f***ing frustrating"). A quick search on amazon throws up a brother A3 scanner/printer for a not bad at all price of £110 http://amzn.to/1nBSM59 (that link is via my amazon kickback, so if you buy from there I get a couple of quid too!)

I have a much older version of the brother and it's been a right workhorse, plus you can print A3 blue lines if you're drawing your own art.

-pj

Hawkmumbler

The brother looks to be the better of the two, and is only just outside my price bracket so might as well splash out a bit. Have to say some of those reviews are damning though, good quality printing but a poor scanner surface? :|

pauljholden

blimey those reviews are awful. For my part, I rarely print, and scan almost entirely either pencils or pure line art, and use Manga Studio to clean up any scans. Never use it for colour scans and most of my printing is A3 on board (but I've never had any complaints about the printing). My model is DCP6690CW