Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 February, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
KILL BILL Volumes 1 & 2

Is Volume 1 generally agreed to be the better? 

I never bothered watching volume 2 as there just didn't seem much point - Vol 1 gave us the back-story and showed how she killed half the gang. Were there any twists or revelations, or was I correct in assuming it's just more training/tracking/killing?

Not Tarantino's finest work IMO, too much style over substance and feels like one movie indulgently spread over two.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 February, 2016, 01:50:53 PM
Not Tarantino's finest work IMO, too much style over substance and feels like one movie indulgently spread over two.

Watched Vol1. It bored the shit out of me. Haven't watched a Tarantino movie since.

I quite liked the looked of Hateful Eight, but then I found out how fucking long it is, and that was the end of that idea.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Might want to reconsider that Jim, Hateful Eight is superb.

And watch Django Unchained as well.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 February, 2016, 02:27:29 PM

Yeah, but it's three fucking days long.

Cheers

Jim

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 February, 2016, 02:42:43 PM

Cheers

Jim

Watch it on a bank holiday then.

Link Prime

And each one is a pleasure.

Best film I've seen since Fury Road, just pure entertainment.

Hawkmumbler

Cheers

Jim
We obviously have very different methods to how we watch movies! I can have one on in the background whilst I work and miss nothing, so the length of a feature is never an issue for me!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 February, 2016, 02:52:39 PM
We obviously have very different methods to how we watch movies! I can have one on in the background whilst I work and miss nothing, so the length of a feature is never an issue for me!

Nope. Radio only while I work!

Cheers

Jim

Professor Bear

The Big Short - smug and boring lefty wank.
What's with all this text and diagrams shit onscreen and people talking to the camera in stuff now?  I thought the tv version of Limitless pulled it off because despite the odd dark moment it's mostly just a lightweight buddy-cop comedy with sci-fi overtones that someone made seemingly just to annoy the makers of Minority Report: the series by showing what such a thing would be like if it was enjoyable to watch rather than a pompous chore, but The Big Short goes all-in and busts, really ramming home how stupid it is to hang your plot twists on hoping people retain all your explanations of how banking fraud works while simultaneously undermining that approach with dick jokes and "look it's a celebrity" cameos.

Satanist

but its so good it only feels like 2 days
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 February, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
KILL BILL Volumes 1 & 2
The decisions to go to cartoon for O Ren's origin and then, in the Crazy 88 sequence, to switch to Black&White and then to Elvis-vision are cute but again protect us from "too much gore".

Interestingly (at least, I found it interesting to find out) the switch to black and white wasn't in the original cut and was done for exactly that reason, because the censors rejected it in colour (they find violence a lot easier to handle when they can't see red flying about, Evil Dead 2 used various different colours for its blood for the same reason). In regions where it passed without a problem they left it in colour, which I always thought was a shame because it's a really nice moment when it switches there.

As far as stitching them together, I think some of the structure was quite different back when it was one movie (one example I heard of was that the [spoiler]scene that closes Vol.1 where we find out her daughter is still alive was created when it got halved, originally the audience weren't supposed to know that until Beatrix finds out herself in the finale, it got added as a bit of a cliffhanger. Not sure how many other things were changed though!)[/spoiler]

I've always loved both films, and probably more or less equally.

JamesC

Truly Madly Deeply.

I suppose it was well made but I found it really hard work. Not really my cup of tea.

richerthanyou

Just got back from The Hateful 8

You sure do get your moneys worth. To be fair, at no point did it feel like it was 3 hours long.

My biggest gripe was the ending. [spoiler]I had hoped that the 15 man gang was actually true and they would have busted down the door and tortured the 2 remaining men.[/spoiler] But that's just me.

Also, did Samuel L really make that other fellow [spoiler]suck his (insert whatever word you want here)[/spoiler] or was it just a story he made up to provoke the old chap?

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

von Boom

Big Trouble in Little China. Hey, it was time again.

Buttonman

I thought 'The Hateful Eight' was Ok but not worth the investment of time. Too much 'n' word and beating up woman stuff - yeah edgy and controversial  I get it. I also agree the ending was unsatisfying and if the whole thing was meant to be an allegory for modern day America then that's too wanky by half.

Did enjoy Ex Machina too lot of interesting ideas and well presented in a mesmerizing and seductive way. [spoiler]Never trust a woman - especially a robot one (noticed they used robot over android - maybe to prevent anti Microsoft bias accusations!)[/spoiler]