Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trent on 28 May, 2016, 06:28:41 PM
Alex Ronald (or Roland as he is creditted in the Judge Dredd sketchbook) certainly divides opinion. I can see why people, Mr Rennie included, take issue with it but personally it was one of my favourite styles of the time and the washed out colouring really worked for me. Moody and atmospheric, suitable fot the Western angle and with more going on than first meets the eye. Clearly a very talented artist as his recent work demonstrates to all. I remember feeling frustrated at the neon colouring of his art in The Pit but loved the underlying penwork.

Yeah adore Alex Ronald's work from this period. I know he and many others prefer his current work. He told me once the work he does now is as close as he's ever got to the way he's always wanted his images to look. However good it is, I still adore and prefer his pen and ink work and for me this reached his peak during this Missionary Man work. Quite brilliant work.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: robert_ellis on 28 May, 2016, 07:08:02 PMI'd still like to see an index so I could flit between volumes and have a clue as to what's where!
I can't imagine we'll get one. But we could always make one—'crowdsource' the contents, have some people make it look pretty, and make it an on-demand print through something like Lulu.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 May, 2016, 12:08:30 PM
Quote from: robert_ellis on 28 May, 2016, 07:08:02 PMI'd still like to see an index so I could flit between volumes and have a clue as to what's where!
I can't imagine we'll get one. But we could always make one—'crowdsource' the contents, have some people make it look pretty, and make it an on-demand print through something like Lulu.

Excellent idea.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

robert_ellis

Maybe an app is a better idea. I love the Barney database. I guess if I'm in a mood for a particular artist or character I'd love to know which volume to flick through. I'm guessing the Klegg spine artwork could be continued for a zero volume.

Richard

The simplest solution would be to put an index at the back of volume 80.

robert_ellis

Enough of this common sense - I demand to be charged for a extra volume that doesn't line up with the others!

IndigoPrime

The publisher's already said it won't be releasing an index. A shared Google Doc would be a place to start for everyone here who's interested. People could then add the info. And if some people at some point want to extract it and fling it at an actual book, why not?

The Legendary Shark

Indeed, and that book can be either physical or digital. And as it's the information that's important, anyone who knows how to make an app can use it for that purpose as well. Win, win, win...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Monarch

A shared doc sounds good i would certainly help

abelardsnazz

I think the PJ Maybe volume is my favourite issue so far, and that's against some serious competition. His gleeful schemes against Dredd as straight man are a joy to read. Top quality all the way.

At the risk of having too much of a good thing, here's hoping we get the first volume of Tour of Duty soon for more monsterus mashinashuns. Issue 40 perhaps?

robert_ellis

Reading PJ Maybe and seeing his craft & story develop over time made me think about other Dredd foes. I'm not that well read on Chopper but I was fascinated that he began as a scrawler before the Supersurf competitions. If only he'd continued to find new ways to antagonise Dredd rather than just repeat his surfing skills. Did he ever combine scrawling & surfing, or branch out.  Apologies if I've missed major character developments - I look forward to seeing Chop in the MegaCollection beyond Oz.

Trent

I often thought something similar about Chopper. I think the problem was that had his story finished with Song of the Surfer he would have had a perfect arc but the perpetuation became somewhat repetitive and hollow. As you say, maybe if he'd done something other than skysurfing.

teckno viking

BPP

Chopper should get into branding and marketing. Nothing would antognise Dredd more than having to enforce Chopper's Copyright.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

robert_ellis

I'd love to see Chopper conscripted into training a team of Surfing judges. Post DOC the budget for new lawn asters must be stretched! Do Oz judges surf?