Main Menu

Recent posts

Megazine / Re: Meg 466: Shoot ’em up
Last post by Link Prime - Today at 12:07:00 PM
Ah. Cheers Colin.
Games / Re: Gamebooks
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 11:54:51 AM
I played through Dead of Night a little while ago - I wasn't excited to get to this one, because frankly the title and cover art are totally boring, but had loads of fun playing it which shouldn't have been a surprise because it's written by Jm Bambra and Stephen Hand who know a few things about rpgs!
You play a paladin-type holy warrior on a mission to defeat your demonic arch-rival and rescue your parents into the bargain, travelling through a corrupted, Warhammer roleplay esque low fantasy world where demons and horrors lurk at every turn. Everything here is down at heel, dirty and broken: there's a element of being a witchfinder about it, as corruption could (and often is) lurking in most locations, although your character is very much a hero and not a cruel witchburner type - keeping your own goodness up by doing the right thing is a major plot point. There's some nasty little tricks in it to trip you up along the way as things aren't always what they seem, as well as a dose of body horror with a living demonic factory, plenty of undead and superstition, and multiple paths to the ending that reward good play and decisions. Gorgeous artwork from Martin McKenna only enhance the dirty, Oldhammer-y atmosphere.

No playthrough on this one from me, but here's how I bit the dust (repeatedly):

• Killed by the possessed corpse of a necromancer I'd previously dispatched, having failed to prevent a ritual from summoning something horrible and tentacled into his body.
  • Dissolved by a pool of sentient sludge after foolishly wading into it.
  • Battered to death by an ogre after some bad dice rolls.
  • Eaten by the huge demon on the cover as, instead of running away I wasted my turn using my 'demon sense' power to see if it was real and not an illusion (it was indeed real)
  • Stabbed by a bazillion floating knives trying to nab some magic armour

Despite all this, loved it.

I'm now playing, on and off, the new Huntress books from Magnamund which are a Lone Wolf prequel of sorts.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Tomwe - Today at 11:40:50 AM
I think I bought RASL during my digital days, which is a shame as I believe Jeff's work always works best in B&W. Actually, I think I once bought my brother the complete edition in HC. It may still be sitting there in my parents house (likely unread).
Last post by Colin YNWA - Today at 11:22:21 AM
He worked with Michael Fleisher on plotting some ideas during this time at 2000ad. It was a pretty interesting read, but fair to say his involvement was fairly minimal.
Last post by Link Prime - Today at 11:14:03 AM
Quote from: The Monarch on 19 March, 2024, 04:01:57 PMall i can think of this month was THE CREATOR OF VENOM DID WHAT.....

Not a Megger - Whats the story with Michelinie?
News / Re: Steve Dillon: Apex Edition
Last post by Link Prime - Today at 11:09:26 AM
Quote from: pauljholden on 27 March, 2024, 10:36:50 PMWho did the rogue trooper print?

Actually looks like your work PJ.
Prog / Re: Prog 2375 - err Bumper Is...
Last post by nxylas - Today at 10:57:24 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 27 March, 2024, 10:21:14 PMNah, Dredd inferred his logic earlier in the story: a heatseeker would have done the job.  I don't think he's impressed by showboating; he wants someone who knows their duty.
Nothing impresses the Judge.
Creative Common / Re: Cover Puns
Last post by paddykafka - Today at 10:49:37 AM
Harry 20's High on the Rock.

Harry becomes addicted to crack-cocaine.

Off Topic / Re: RIPs
Last post by Batman's Superior Cousin - Today at 10:38:45 AM
Gogglebox star, George Gilbey, dies after fall from height
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd18ld5233wo