Main Menu

Prog 2003: On The Warpath

Started by Trent, 15 October, 2016, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Cracking Willsher Rogue Trooper cover takes me back 20 years.
Dredd concludes in a satisfying manner. Despite dodgy first episode it was good fun and did indeed feel somewhat 'old school', especially Anderson's face.
Flesh has another chapter in the Tesco/Unilever saga. Damned imported dinosaur meat. Really liked the artwork throughout this week. Good stuff (to coin a phrase).
Hunted has Rogue front and centre and I hate to say it but physically he looks a little odd to me. Maybe PJ has done this on purpose but in several frames he just looks 'off'. Prefer the Rogue on the cover. Probably should keep my mouth shut as I know PJ reads the board and I have huge respect and admiration for his skills. His tutorial on his homepage was utterly fascinating, sufficient that I have it permanently open on a tab.
Haven't read the other two yet but once again a 7 page Flesh spills us onto the back cover.

Darren Stephens

Yeh, good prog. Really enjoyed Hunted and Flesh, which I hadn't got around to reading last week, so read both chapters today. Great to see Rogue back. I have to say, unlike Trent, I prefer the version of RT in the strip itself, compared to the cover. Holden and O'grady make a top art team. Oh, and love counterfeit Girl it's bonkers but brilliant!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Jim_Campbell

I haven't been as ambivalent towards much of the pre-2000 run as a chunk of the forum has seemed to be, but I'm very happy with the current line-up, showcasing a pleasingly varied line-up in tone, content, and style... and I even quite enjoyed this issue's Mills-scribed offerings!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Stephen Parry

Not a subscriber - thanks lousy postal service around here (they lost 2 parcels of mine this year alone) - so looking forward to this.

Any letters pages this week?

SIP

JUDGE BURNS

My subs copy actually arrived on Saturday for a change !!!   My complaint must have been finally listened to by the local sorting office management.   Great to see Rogue back on the cover...its been so long.  Another good prog but its Counterfeit Girl that's lets it slip to a 4 out of 5 for me again this week.
  No letters page yet !!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Stephen Parry on 15 October, 2016, 08:06:49 PMAny letters pages this week?
Nope. In fact, Counterfeit Girl's pushed on to the back cover again.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 15 October, 2016, 01:14:27 PM

This is wonderful! A Rogue strip by Wilsher would be aces, but for now the cover is a contender for the top 10.

...which makes the art on the strip all the more underwhelming, the way Rouge is drawn in the prog looks pinched, aneamic and hurried to me, but then I don't really get PJ's art like other do I guess (each to their own)

I did think Simon Colby would have been a contender for this story and would fit it like a glove, which I hope we might see more of in the future drawing Rogue again.

Dredd came to an all too soon ending, I was really enjoying this - bringing back some characters not seen for a while - Anderson teaming up with Dredd again and building on the continuity (which sort of ignores what happened over the summer - no bad thing really) - I do though wish it could have been 2 episodes longer with some plot hangers...hey ho...

Still a great treat for an old fanboy  :thumbsup:

Si

Magnetica

Similar Prog to last week. Stand out for me was the cover. Just a fantastic drawing of Rogue, although shamefully I didn't recognise it was Ben Wilsher until I read the credits. I would love to see him do more in the Prog in addition to Dredd. That cover has to be the 2nd best Rogue cover ever (nothing can top 228 as far as Rogue covers are concerned 😀).

Dredd wrapped up quite quickly but it actually didn't feel rushed. It was more that I expected it to last longer.
I noted that the Anderson panel at the start of page 5 was a copy of the headshot part of the larger Anderson image used last week. That's the kind of thing Brett Ewins used to do regularly on Bad Company.

Following the Ewins theme the art on Counterfeit Girl looks so Ewins to me. I know someone disagreed with that a couple of weeks back, but that's how I see it.

Flesh ticking along nicely.

Savage gets way more sci-fi (intelligent Robots aside) than it ever was before.

petesbeats

So was that a Jaegir cameo at the end of Rogue with Atalia being mentioned?  Be good if the stories intertwine

TordelBack

Hunted the standout strip for me this week. I wasn't sure I wanted to see any more of Rogue, ever, but I was wrong: Rennie, Holden and O'Grady make a superb team, and in one single episode they return Rogue to the place he once held in my affections. Who would have thought the the [spoiler]eagerly anticipated Jaegir crossover [/spoiler]would take a back seat to just seeing the blue guy back to his traitor-hunting best? Cover was fantastic too.

Just when it looked like it was trying for a bit of ScandiNoir, Savage takes a sudden swerve back towards pulpy science and mad future robots. Good man Pat, keep us on our toes!

Flesh has some arsom dinosaurs, but they're lost somewhere in all the murk and gurning.

Enjoyed Counterfeit Girl more this week, but thank goodness for such lively visuals, because the story has gone absolutely nowhere so far.

Dredd was short and sweet - but holy crap how good are Hairsine and Teague together!  More! More!

Link Prime

Quote from: petesbeats on 19 October, 2016, 10:26:23 AM
So was that a Jaegir cameo at the end of Rogue with Atalia being mentioned?  Be good if the stories intertwine

Surely the Rennie Droid is hard at work on a Hunter (Jäger) / Hunted mini-epic that will debut after the first Hunted series?

And I must agree with Tordelback- Hairsine & Teague do make a very good team (as do Hairsine & Kitson).

James Stacey

Quote from: petesbeats on 19 October, 2016, 10:26:23 AM
A younger Jaegir yes, I wonder if this could be a prequel set up for a later Jaegir story-line or just a fun cameo.

Banners

I made a flippant comment about the page of empty shelves in Flesh from Prog 2002, but in seeing the page of replenished shelves in this Prog, it proved a very effective device. So—fair play to the Mills & Langley droids for doing that.