Main Menu

The 2012 COVER OF THE YEAR Vote.

Started by Pete Wells, 14 December, 2012, 08:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Hooray! It's time to cast your votes for your favourite covers of the year, and what a year it's been! You can see bigger versions of each of the images below on my (award winning!) blog, as well as links to artist commentaries for each one - not bad eh? You'll find the relevant post here:

So, I'd like you to clearly list your THREE favourites, in order. THREE points will be awarded to your fave, TWO points for second and ONE point for third. I will try not to mess the maths up this year!

The closing date is midnight on FRIDAY 4TH JANUARY 2013...

Before we start, I'd like to once again thank all the artists, especially Simon 'Pye' Parr for their help over the year. Fine gentlemen all!

And so, the contenders are:

Remember, you can see all of these covers much bigger on my blog here :
http://2000adcovers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/ktt-and-2000ad-cover-of-year-2012.html
and the closing date is MIDNIGHT on 4th January 2013...

Greg M.

A pre-emptive 'well done' to Pete for putting this together, and for the mighty thrills his cracking blog brings - a well-deserved KTT. Now onto the voting....

1st place (3 points): 1791 (Final Dante - Simon Fraser)
2nd place (2 points): 1767 (Absalom - Tiernen Trevallion)
3rd place (1 point): 1771a (Chris Weston)

TordelBack

1.  1771a Chris Weston.  What an anniversary cover should be.  Chris' 1776 cover was also fantastic.
2. 1805. D'Israeli.  Pure unadulterated style.
3.  1774.  Mark Harrison.  Can't resist a good Triceratops.

I wish I had other votes available for Simon Fraser's beautiful 1791, Tiernan's 1767 and Bagwell's 1780.

Buttonman

1.  1771a Chris Weston. - only polite - it's been my wallpaper for weeks.
2.  1812   Cliff Robinson - Real 'Boom' cover for the strip event of the year
3.  1799   Simon Parr - Dredd event of any year needs acknowledging - ably done here.

james newell

1. 1771b - Mike McMahon
2. 1780 - Edmund Bagwell
3. 1811 - D'Israeli

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Trout

HOW in the name of FUCK are we supposed to select the best of that bunch? It's been an astonishing year of quality.

I could do this in a dozen ways but, after changing my mind several times, my votes go to:

1) 1771a Chris Weston's character montage

2) 1791 Si Fraser's Dante

3) 1781 Henry Flint's Dark Judges

It feels very. very wrong that I can't include several others, especially Carlos' Stront cover, but I have to choose someone.

Top work all round.

- Trout

Dandontdare

Can I congratulate Sir Peter of Wells, KTT, on an improved user-friendly voter interface for this year's vote?

1 - Chris Weston - 1771a
2 - Clint Langley - 1803
3 - Ben Willshire - 1792

Dishonourable mention - 1765 - the Drag queen cover - Tharg should have said no to this one.

CrazyFoxMachine

Bloody hell.

These are just the ones that jumped out at me first - although there are tons of candidates

1 - 1767 - Tiernen Trevallion (Amazing amazing amazing, beautifully painted fully atmospheric)
2 - 1811 - D'israeli (Awesome wrap, phenomenally grabbing and utterly unique)
3 - 1791 - Simon Fraser (Dante Finale - beautifully constructed, wonderfully melancholic)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Alien Goodness

What a fantastic year of prog covers. So many of them could win. Here are the ones I liked the most.

1st. 1811 (Had no hesitation in selecting this D'Israeli cover as the best cover of the year)
2nd. 1767 (I love the restrained use of colour by Trevallion on this one)
3rd. 1803 (The level of detail and Langley's skill in blending the various elements, such as water, amazes me)

SmallBlueThing

I can't do this. Too many to choose from, too many that would normally win if they were on any other comic.

My shortlist of ten (!) finally becomes this:

FIRST: 1774 Because I'm a sucker for gorgeous wraparounds, and FLESH is my favourite thing ever.
SECOND: 1791 Because it's beautiful and DANTE was my favourite thing ever.
THIRD: 1805 Because of the lack of pink elsewhere in boys' adventure comics and because DIRTY FRANK is my favourite thing ever.

SBT

Gavin_Leahy_Block

1st. 1811 (D'Israeli)
2nd. 1771a (Chris Weston)
3rd. 1791 (Simon Fraser)

COMMANDO FORCES

1802 - Ben Wilsher Pure Dredd, which enables it to stand out on the shelf (if you can bend down far enough) and to top it off, he tricks us into thinking he's another artist.
1783 - Karl Richardson Stunning action stance, highly detailed and just spot on.
1777 - Jon Davis-Hunt Beautifully framed and gorgeous hair, what more do you need.