Main Menu

Megazine 357 - The Devil In the Red Dress

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 14 February, 2015, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

And I'm the biggest continuity bore that clothes ever covered. No Steve that does make sense from what I've read in an information replete episode this week. It is an engrossing tale and it has a sense if pathos and humanity about it which I buy into. Z

So anyway the Judges Stetson/helmet question?
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 February, 2015, 02:42:46 PM
American Reaper- Not got my Meg to hand but does it finish this month? Hell of a cliffhanger if that is the case and a right old downer of an ending.
Nope. It's got another two months.
We never really die.

Steve Green

Quote from: ZenArcade on 19 February, 2015, 03:23:03 PM
And I'm the biggest continuity bore that clothes ever covered. No Steve that does make sense from what I've read in an information replete episode this week. It is an engrossing tale and it has a sense if pathos and humanity about it which I buy into. Z

So anyway the Judges Stetson/helmet question?

UK police wear a variety of headgear, or whatever serves the story visually.

ZenArcade

I quite liked the way the Missionary Man story set in New Orleans moved away from the twee stetson image of the Texas City JD to a helmeted, harder edged look. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Hang on, so if the original Harlem Heroes was retroactivly added to the Dredd-verse and has left a lasting legacy as a result, where does that leave Harlem Heroes (redux?).

WhizzBang

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 February, 2015, 09:12:48 PM
Hang on, so if the original Harlem Heroes was retroactivly added to the Dredd-verse and has left a lasting legacy as a result, where does that leave Harlem Heroes (redux?).
I wouldn't describe it as 'retroactive' since it happened while the original HH strip was still running back in the 1970's. The author of the later HH story collected in for this months megazine must have decided to ignore the Dredd world.

Hawkmumbler

Amusing then, as it's this second incarnation of HH thats been left by the wayside, what with Judge Giant Jr. still ticking.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 February, 2015, 02:42:46 PM
American Reaper- Not got my Meg to hand but does it finish this month? Hell of a cliffhanger if that is the case and a right old downer of an ending.

I know the strip does a fantastic job of polarising opinion but I for one enjoy it. The Meg is the only place where the strip can have enough of a page count to indulge Clints storytelling.

It's Credit to Tharg for letting this run and not listening to the naysayers. Some of the naked derision this strip gets is embarrassing. We're supposed to be better than that.

Bolt I think I get your drift and I dislike cruelty in any form whether its "naked derision" or otherwise. Fair point. Very fair point.That having been said if you really don't like that one feature and yet it features regularly and takes a relatively large slice of the meg you purchase how do you comment in a measured and appropriate way that you feel really strongly about its continuing inclusion?

Its a good nod to consider how you express yourself though.

NapalmKev

I'll put my name down now for an American Reaper Bookplate edition, should one ever become available.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

robert_ellis

Seconded - all these fools moaning about static artwork and Photoshop! I was raised on Doomlord and Joe Soap. Bookplate hardcover? I'm in!

sheridan

Quote from: IronGraham on 18 February, 2015, 07:59:44 AM
I really liked the interview with Mr Landridge

I'm pleased to say I met Mr Langridge a few months ago. As I only knew him from his work on the early Meg I asked him to draw any character from Straitjacket.  He rose to the task admirably - pretty impressive since it's the first time he'd drawn any of those characters for over two decades!

I also recommend Pinkbeard the Pirate:
http://hotelfred.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Pinkbeard

sheridan

Quote from: WhizzBang on 19 February, 2015, 10:56:53 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 February, 2015, 09:12:48 PM
I wouldn't describe it as 'retroactive' since it happened while the original HH strip was still running back in the 1970's. The author of the later HH story collected in for this months megazine must have decided to ignore the Dredd world.

Harlem Heroes appeared from Progs 1-27, and Judge Giant's debut (featuring a cameo from Giant Clay) ran in Progs 28 and 29.

Proudhuff

Sooo the future, they can do complete body/person transfer, but they can't make mascara that don't run?  ;) 
DDT did a job on me

DrJomster

Another good Meg! Great work, gang!

I think Reaper would work really well as a collected edition, btw. Some of the panels are brilliantly atmospheric.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

wedgeski

I have to say I found this Meg's Reaper very, very difficult to follow. I'm turning the pages and turning the pages, and I get the gist, but connecting these characters with earlier strips in the story is way harder than it should be. Cracking art, but I'll never get on with the photo-real characters.