Main Menu

Meg 359 rookie move

Started by moly, 11 April, 2015, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Quote from: The monarch on 16 April, 2015, 07:41:54 AM
I can only afford to get so much a month now and two mega collections is really eating into what i can afford

The Mega-Collection is not mandatory?!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Judge Brian on 16 April, 2015, 07:10:30 AMWere there 40 pages of new strips?
Not far off. I did a bit of sanity-checking for the past six months of Megs:

359: Dredd 10 + Ostriches 10 + Anderson 9 + Angel 9 = 38
358: Dredd 10 + Ostriches 20 + Angel9 + Mean 10 = 40
357: Dredd 10 + Ostriches 17 + DeMarco 9 + Angel 9 = 45
356: Dredd 10 + Ostriches 20 + DeMarco 9 + Angel 9 = 48
355: Dredd 10 + Ostriches 18 + DeMarco 9 + Dredd 10 = 47
354: Dredd 10 + Lawless 9 + Tales 10 + Dredd 10 = 39

I lack time to count further back, but were 355–357 anomalous in strip count? (354 might suggest so.) Regardless, the Meg's stretching my patience right now too, so I hope it'll be something I enjoy more come the strip refresh (assuming we don't get Ostriches Redux).

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 April, 2015, 10:25:37 AM
I lack time to count further back, but were 355–357 anomalous in strip count?
Ostriches has always had a significantly higher than average page count, even compared to the other stuff in the creator-owned slot. Paul Grist's Demon Nic will be filling that space, along with a new series of Lawless.

Personally, I'm still quite enjoying the Meg at the moment. Ewing's farewell to Dredd continues to impree and Angelic has been a great little series, and finally makes its playing around with continuity explicit, Spock-style. More soon Tharg.

I was a bit surprised when I first heard we were going to be getting a non-Grant Anderson story but I needn't have worried as this was a tight, engaging start from Beeby and also nice to see Mr Currie toning down the tits in his art.
We never really die.

Molch-R

Quote from: Fenscape on 16 April, 2015, 01:54:15 AM
The Meg is currently hurtling towards the floor again folks - I've just paid top dollar for 9 whole pages of poorly reproduced reprint of Holocaust 12 (including a Bishop-esque banner) that doesn't even stand up on it's own in this sort of context. Ed says that he wants to concentrate on the Tooth archive and then fobs us all off onto a 3rd party part-work by publishing a part reprint of a bloody reprint that looks as if it's been through the wash via a dirty protest. On top of that there's a patronising page compelling people to vote in the general election in case they are too stupid to understand what the whole process is about.... wtf is that all about then?

Pull your finger out Mr Smith as I'm not impressed - this is a lazy stunt for £5.70 of anyone's money. Let's get back to basics and remember that a decent Meg is possible within the usual constraints as long as you can find decent writers instead of some of the lazy bollocks that seems to have become entrenched of late. (Hell, if you're stuck for page count then dump the little comic and reintegrate the reprint into the main body again as much of it is shite that you know you can't even sell off to the 3rd party mugs because it's so weak!)

And please, no more fucking Ostriches - shift Mills and Langley over to the weekly as it just doesn't work with one episode every month. I want Dredd, lots of Dredd kicking the shit out of things being the nasty bastard he is - how hard is it to actually do that in the wake of Chaos, Dark Justice, Enceladus etc when you have so much material to work on?

I'm not happy.

Please moderate your tone and language when discussing our staff and creators, thank you. Criticism is more than possible without getting personal.

The Monarch

The mega collection is kinda mandatory as I enjoy them and feel they are well worth the money

Proudhuff

'patronising page compelling people to vote in the general election'

which is the kind of thing the prog/meg has always done and it gave me a chortle as did the Brand Block,  lighten up ITS A COMIC.
DDT did a job on me

Fenscape

Quote from: Molch-R on 16 April, 2015, 11:33:58 AM

Please moderate your tone and language when discussing our staff and creators, thank you. Criticism is more than possible without getting personal.

It's a sad state of affairs when the mod is happier pulling people up on their tone rather than spending time addressing the points that they raise. The last few Megs have been poor and I won't apologise for my comments - would you prefer that I make some sort of sanitised reference to the JD Megson block instead in order to get the message across because a bunch of grown-ups are too precious to take it on the chin when it really matters?

Bottom line is that the readers pay the wages of the staff and creators - ignore us at your peril and a quick scan of the comments from some of us over the last few editions easily proves that I'm not the only one who thinks that things are on the slide. Amongst others, I believe that the editor made a gross mistake by making a decision to reprint (a very poor quality scan of) Holocaust 12 and I simply won't believe this was the best material available to make up the page count at a premium price.

Do please let me know if you're now too 'niche' to accept my comments however I choose to frame them - I have every copy of the Meg ever published and if you think you are more passionate than I am about it then you'll just have to find a new reader to fill the shoes that I feel like abandoning right now - best of luck with that.

As I said before, I'm not happy.

-Steve

Ghost MacRoth

Gotta say he does have a point.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ZenArcade

Nothing like a set of balls....to be fair.Molch R is just as passionate (I seen the guy in Dublin). Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Fenscape

Molch-R can be as passionate as he likes and I get that but the difference is that if he's on the payroll and it takes someone like me to point out the obvious then either my observations are addressed and things pick up or I just stop buying the publication - he doesn't have an automatic right to the money in my wallet no matter how fondly I recall the hours and hours I spent at school endlessly tracing around that amazing cover Brett Ewins did on Tooth 472!!!

Pride always goes before a fall.

-Steve

Molch-R

Quote from: Fenscape on 16 April, 2015, 11:03:27 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when the mod is happier pulling people up on their tone rather than spending time addressing the points that they raise. The last few Megs have been poor and I won't apologise for my comments - would you prefer that I make some sort of sanitised reference to the JD Megson block instead in order to get the message across because a bunch of grown-ups are too precious to take it on the chin when it really matters?

Bottom line is that the readers pay the wages of the staff and creators - ignore us at your peril and a quick scan of the comments from some of us over the last few editions easily proves that I'm not the only one who thinks that things are on the slide. Amongst others, I believe that the editor made a gross mistake by making a decision to reprint (a very poor quality scan of) Holocaust 12 and I simply won't believe this was the best material available to make up the page count at a premium price.

Do please let me know if you're now too 'niche' to accept my comments however I choose to frame them - I have every copy of the Meg ever published and if you think you are more passionate than I am about it then you'll just have to find a new reader to fill the shoes that I feel like abandoning right now - best of luck with that.

As I said before, I'm not happy.

-Steve

So I can see. As I've already mentioned, you are free to voice your opinions but personal attacks on 2000 AD staff and creators are beyond the pale on this board. Thank you.

ZenArcade

Fenscape, we all have deep set issues with parts of the Meg at the moment. It is still worth a couple of quid (to be fair a fiver is excessive) for the two or so strips we get every month which are very decent.
I'd say Molch R was disconcerted over the mention of a direct contributer/s and the robust language.
Your posts post his intervention are the better and more relevant for his intervention surely. Z

Fenscape

Quote from: ZenArcade on 16 April, 2015, 11:36:09 PM
Fenscape, we all have deep set issues with parts of the Meg at the moment. It is still worth a couple of quid (to be fair a fiver is excessive) for the two or so strips we get every month which are very decent.
I'd say Molch R was disconcerted over the mention of a direct contributer/s and the robust language.
Your posts post his intervention are the better and more relevant for his intervention surely. Z

Happy to take that one on the chin ZenArcade and thank you for the compliment. Let me know your paypal address and I'll send you £5.70 as you've given me more value for money this month than he did.

ZenArcade

Good man, the money is an irrelevance for me thankfully.....alas not for ever so many others. keep faith, the guys are, I feel, really shifting the Prog and Meg forward (I have serious reservations about the reprint but sure..).
And above all else, stay here and contribute not detract. We need energy, stridently and verve, but in its measure. Regards Z

Fenscape

Quote from: ZenArcade on 16 April, 2015, 11:55:41 PM
Good man, the money is an irrelevance for me thankfully.....alas not for ever so many others. keep faith, the guys are, I feel, really shifting the Prog and Meg forward (I have serious reservations about the reprint but sure..).
And above all else, stay here and contribute not detract. We need energy, stridently and verve, but in its measure. Regards Z

Cheers for that - the thing that REALLY worries me is when people start believing their hyperbole to such an extent that we might end up with a publication that looks and feels like Crisis did at the very end of it's days - when I leaf through the last 10 or so editions I can see a bunch of people who got so focussed with the direction of the brand that they totally lost the interest of their readership because it just turned into gibberish and nonsense. (Tbh, I lost interest when Hitler appeared on the horizon and it became obvious that people were 'touching themselves' whilst publishing Trip to Tulem and bloody Bible John - Jesus!)

The Meg seems to need dragging back to the core subject material from time to time. That time is definitely now.