Main Menu

Meg 361 and new logo

Started by Dash Decent, 10 June, 2015, 12:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Spikes on 10 June, 2015, 09:01:55 PM
Not a Meg buyer - though I do have a good run of the early ones in my collection.
But as it's a Carlos Dredd tale, and a kinda jumping on prog Meg, I might give this a whirl...

This is my jumping onboard Meg so very much looking forward to it. I've finally found the place to start my digital sub. Out of interest I wonder is that a parting piece of work by Pye or the work of a new 'bot. I'd assume the former given he's just left but what the heck do I know.

Makes for a nice lean cover.

SuperSurfer

I look forward to hopefully seeing this Meg cover on the very fine Covers Uncovered blog. I'm curious at to whether the background is part of the original artwork or added by the design droids.

Masthead is a good update IMO. I was expecting the redesign to reflect the look of the Meg and it does just that. Same font as the 2000AD masthead. I'm not sure I would've gone for black but there's more than one way to cook an egg.

radiator

It looks like some sort of textured paint on the original painting to me. I like the new look - very clean and 'flat' (in a good way).

IndigoPrime

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 10 June, 2015, 10:25:33 PMI'm not sure I would've gone for black but there's more than one way to cook an egg.
I imagine it's a single-colour logo that'll be printed in whichever colour works best for any given cover.

The Adventurer

Is anything else changing with the logo? Page count? Still bagged with a seperate Reprint?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Richmond Clements

I've seen the usual stupid complaints about covering the logo... if you can't figure out what the name is from the visible letters and, oh I dunno, the huge picture of Judge Dredd on the cover, then you're an idiot.

Eamonn Clarke

From the 2000AD Facebook page which some of us do read :

"Pre-order next week's jumping on issue of the Judge Dredd Megazine now - FOUR new stories, TWO brand new series, and a bagged collection of Pat Mills' Finn!"

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 June, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
I've seen the usual stupid complaints about covering the logo... if you can't figure out what the name is from the visible letters and, oh I dunno, the huge picture of Judge Dredd on the cover, then you're an idiot.

Now wouldn't a like button make so much more sense than making me quote this post to point out that if there was a like button I'd have pressed it???

Sort a frikkin' like, or thanks, or whatever button ya buggers! ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Colin YNWA

Now as a big fan of those stupid complaints, as I make them so often myself - no surprise there then - in this case I must admit I didn't even notice until it was pointed out...

... in-observant and stupid me!

Tjm86

Much more importantly, having received and read it .... Niiiiiiice!

Ezquerra on Dredd and a fairly standard start.  Nice little nod to Mestizo (and thanks to Butch to confirming my suspicions for me, sorry but I don't tend to listen to the podcast (and yes I know I'm probably missing out!)).

Demon Nic - like the layout and artwork on this, interesting flow especially with the complete absence of bounding boxes (oh and the writing is pretty good too!).

Storm Warning - now this I do like.  Although there are a number of fairly standard tropes at play it lays out its store nicely.  Quality artwork too.

Lawless - last time round I wasn't too fussed but this is a strong start with a nice little cliff hanger.

Overall - why the hell is this a monthly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacqusie

Isn't that missing the point of design and peoples own personal tastes, which the last time I checked, as we live in a free country we are all allowed to have without being maligned?

I'm not a professional graphic design bod, nor do I need to be to have an opinion. I'm an advocat of the logo allowing the art to take the space. I also don't really see why one would design a logo that will end up being covered up, compromised by the art or vice versa.

The first megs, way back in 1990 had that HUGE logo, the Judge Dredd font split nearly half the page, I suppose for marketing reasons & the art came off pretty poorly on the covers.

I don't really see why we have to go back to that potential situation/problem. If people don't like the text being covered up or the art being stifiled, I doubt they are idiots, they just have preferences about what they and don't like - as we all do.

I'm probably in the minority here though I have to concede and I suppose I'm quite old School in that I loved the 2000AD Fan logo before the shrank it & added that awful banner text.

I do like the Big Eagle designs inside and of course the stories are on a roll now that godawful Reaper bobbins has departed, so I can live with the logo in serenity rather than fatuousness.

Si

Frank

Tjm86

And of course SFX has on occasion taken advantage of the judicious juxtaposition of logo and artwork for a subtle entendre.

Dark Jimbo

I can't see which magazine's covers you've posted there, Butch - some of the letters are covered up by people's heads and thus rendered the title incomprehensible.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jacqusie on 14 June, 2015, 01:28:12 AM
Isn't that missing the point of design and peoples own personal tastes, which the last time I checked, as we live in a free country we are all allowed to have without being maligned?

I think you misunderstand how a free country works.

Also: since you weren't complaining, why would you think you were being "maligned"? If, on the other hand, you were being offended on behalf some hypothetical other person, may I suggest getting a new hobby?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.