Main Menu

Megazine 364 - The Spirit of the law

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 12 September, 2015, 03:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: robert_ellis on 18 September, 2015, 10:11:44 AM
I'd like to see a hardcover of American Reaper - any news?
The Meg isn't being renamed Amerazine Reaper then?

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Taryn Tailz

I haven't bought either the Prog or the Meg since mid 2013, and don't have the time or space to get back into the Prog, but reckon I might jump back on the Megazine wagon when the Total War story starts. I'm guessing that's going to be in Megazine 365?

Hawkmumbler

Having Demon Nic replace American Shitter is like getting gold out of shit.

Proudhuff

Quote from: robert_ellis on 18 September, 2015, 10:11:44 AM
I'd like to see a hardcover of American Reaper - any news?

Well I vana toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards now is it?
DDT did a job on me

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 September, 2015, 02:43:23 PM
Having Demond Nic replace American Shitter is like getting gold out of shit.

No, it isn't.

I understand quite a few people don't think that much of 'American Reaper', fair enough. I feel the same about 'Demon Nic'.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Horses for courses and all, and Demon Nic is certainly an aqquired taste.

But dear grud, American Shitter is the only stripever published under the house of Tharg that activley made me stop reading the Meg. Twice! It's not just BAD, it's objectively so.

The Adventurer

My dislike of Sexey Ostriches is of public record, and the percentage of the Meg it typically takes up as lead to my waning interest in The Meg at least once before. Comparing it to Demon Nic is bit unfair since they share very little except being creator owned comics in the Judge Dredd Megazine.

And that Demon Nic is comprehensible. 

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Theblazeuk

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the illustrated 'Reaper Files' shorts. I hated the main story with a passion, despite some good moments. The artwork never worked, the characters were harder to follow than necessary (even given a bodyhopping premise) and it lasted for.....ev.....er.

Demon Nic is the weakest thing I've read by Paul Grist but s'ok.

Colin YNWA

Well after 19 years I'm back on board with the Meg, its been too long. With the wonderful power of a digital sub I've got the last four issues in one lovely hit, so over the last few days I've read all the Megs since the relaunch issue. I'll spare you blow by blow reviews and start fresh here.

El Madito has been a perfectly fine and functional western. Great fun, dusty and full of bad, bad guys, wronged town folk and rugged outsiders. It was nothing new, but by George this rip snorting ending, with so very much bitterness and sadness was great and fitting for a fun story. Carlos producing some of his best art for a while too, brilliant.

Demon Nic seems to be splitting folk, for the life of me I don' t know why, glorious, glorious art, imaginative and creative layouts which make for great storytelling. Typically grounded hijinks from Paul Grist and this strip is quite a triumph, though as I'm a big Paul Grist fan my reaction is no surprise.

Storm Warning I'm finding a little flat on both artist and story fronts. Its not bad but just isn't taking hold. The art is very nicely rendered but it all feels a bit flat and lifeless, and often the elements don't seem to be connected. Figures seems disconnected to their backgrounds. It kind of reminded me of those old picture transfers you used to get. As I say shame as its close to be very good.

Lawless is fantastic. I almost agree that art needs more 'spot blacks' I think they are called, but everytime I think that I wonder how they would work in the context of what else is there and decide its more than fine as it is. The story is fun if, so untypically of Dan Abnett it feels a little bloated and drifty. Really enjoying it though and looking forward to see how things develop.

The texts, in particular the Interrogations are really good, I've enjoyed these by and large. Even where I'm not massively fussed by the folks talked to there is always some nice insights to be had. This issue the Scott McCloud interview was particularly good.

So yeah back on bound and very happy to be so. Enjoyed this line-up and beginning to wonder why it took ,e so long, but then I've wittered on about it and my reason enough to not repeat here.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Adventurer on 21 September, 2015, 05:43:07 PM
Comparing [Sexey Ostriches] to Demon Nic is bit unfair since they share very little except being creator owned comics in the Judge Dredd Megazine.
And they both have extremely poor layout choices which actively confuse the reader and prevent her from being able to follow the flow of the story. I actually quite like the split tone of the story in Demon Nic but the panel-less black backgrounds and oddly placed text are really grinding my gears.

I'll have to give this Dredd story a reread in the near future as, episode by episode, I've found it pretty weak. If it's going to be Rennie's swansong, then it's a bit of a shame given how many far better stories he's written.

Storm Warning is dragging on too long. I'm happy to give a new strip and creative team a chance but I think this would've been better served by being two or three parts and leave us wanting more. I've kind of lost track of what's going on now (my fault.)

Lawless is the best thing in the issue again.
We never really die.

Mikey

Welcome back Colin! The Meg has been consistently good for many's the year now - as you have no doubt gathered, American Reaper wasn't everyone's cuppa synthi-caff, but I enjoyed it overall.

No surprise this month's cover is a blinder from Carlos. Simple but strong...

...much like El Maldito in fact. I agree it was a rootin', tootin', six shootin' tale that ticked all the boxes for me. I can't help thinking I may have enjoyed it slightly more if it wasn't Dredd but Cursed Earth Koburn as the lawman. Quality stuff and a great swansong (say it ain't so!) for Rennie on Dreddy.

And I'm really loving Demon Nic. It is what it is and it does what it does really well - it's different (for the Meg), it's fun and it cracks along rightly. Good stuff!

Storm Warning I think has just hit it's stride. I've liked the tone since the beginning and I think with this episode it really felt like Brit Cit, somewhere different from MC1. Found the descent into the block and the crazed cits creepy and that was a great finishing page. More good stuff!

Speaking of finishing pages, that was a nice rug pull in Lawless - the clues were hiding in plain sight! I'm back on board with this after finding the start of this run less enjoyable than the first series. The art has been consistently delicious throughout of course. Even more good stuff!

I enjoyed the Interrogations and always enjoy reading Freaks which I have fond memories, though was this not reprinted at some point already? Plus - there was a sequel? I have no recollection of it at all so that'll be worth a read next month.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

DrJomster

I thought it was a pretty good Meg, actually.

Good people, I fear we complain because the bar is so often set so high!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Grugz

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 19 September, 2015, 05:34:13 PM
I haven't bought either the Prog or the Meg since mid 2013, and don't have the time or space to get back into the Prog, but reckon I might jump back on the Megazine wagon when the Total War story starts. I'm guessing that's going to be in Megazine 365?

due to illness/etc I haven't bought the prog in about 18months now (except the xmas one and the fcbd) but I do try and pick the meg up on my good days when I think I'm well enough can wander round town for an hour been enjoying the wonderful carlos' work which can make even the most average tale seem gold! demon nic hasn't been read yet and I really enjoy "lawless"  though wasn't something mentioned in her debut that suggested she wasn't who she said she was? did I miss a resolve to that?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

I, Cosh

Quote from: Grugz on 29 September, 2015, 11:46:15 PMI really enjoy "lawless"  though wasn't something mentioned in her debut that suggested she wasn't who she said she was? did I miss a resolve to that?
It was pretty strongly implied in the last episode of the first run of the last series that she's [spoiler]really Marshal Freely from out of Insurrection[/spoiler].
We never really die.