Main Menu

Whatever happened to SIMON HARRISON?

Started by Mogster, 13 April, 2004, 12:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

credo

Fantastic scans Fatboydale!

I really like his updated Dredd.

Based on his Future Shocks I always thought he could do robots well, and I think those ABCs Star Scans just prove it.  I would love to see him back for a short run with those characters. And even the thought of another Smith/Harrison collaboration sends an excited shiver down my spine. Please Tharg ... make it happen!

As for his Stront work, while it mostly didn't fit the story, he was the only artist to ever make Feral look good. You really got a sense of the kinetic, arsey, nihilistic teenager from Simon Harrison's depictions. That feel just seemed to be missing in everyone else's work. His more recent take on Johnny looks so good too.

Would love to see him back!

Tweak72

From Bradley (I cannot tell you how much I LOVED Bradley. I even made a latex half moon mask based on Bradley in prop making class at drama school) to his random Star Scan of Joe Pineapples (which, for me became the definitive image in my head), to Revere, to his Final Solution work (he gets a rough deal from 'da fanz' due to the whole Alpha death thing. The only 'opinion' I respect is Ezquerra's deciding not to be a part of it due to his work on the series.) was always stunning, detailed and brilliant in both monochrome or colour.

He is a very talented guy and I hope he does well with his correct projects and would like to see more of his work.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

TordelBack

Concidentally, my wife recently unearthed a cache of her old RPG magazines which I have been reading this week with nostaglic glee (you had to use a lot of words to fill a magazine in 1987/8!), and discovered that Simon Harrison provided some gorgeous Bradleyesque spot illos for issues of G.M magazine.

(Also a rather good Pratchett short story in there which I'd never read, and some very interesting interviews with the guys behind the Watchmen sourcebook and scenarios for DC Heroes).

Emperor

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 April, 2012, 01:18:29 PM
Concidentally, my wife recently unearthed a cache of her old RPG magazines which I have been reading this week with nostaglic glee (you had to use a lot of words to fill a magazine in 1987/8!), and discovered that Simon Harrison provided some gorgeous Bradleyesque spot illos for issues of G.M magazine.

Scans please or it didn't happen ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

brendan1

James Stacey

brendan1

Ah. I'd only ever heard of White Dwarf. If that's one.

James Stacey

In the past it was. It's a glorified sales catalogue these days but in the 80s/90s yes absolutely.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Fatboydale on 13 April, 2012, 11:36:02 PM
Simon has a great understanding & respect for 2000ad and talked me through a bit of his 2000ad artwork , like he did it yesterday , he no way undermined his comic art to his more modern artwork , it is just different , a bit like looking at Simon Davis comic art to his portrait art ...

It would great to Simon something with 2000ad again , even a future shock .... anyways i could not wait and Simon did me a great updated Dredd

Here is a few pages i got to snagged and 2 sketches for me and my pal

That's Amazing work.

Simon Harrison is one of my favorite all time 2000ad artist and I've never seen his take on Dredd.

Somebody bring him back ASAP!

JayzusB.Christ

I loved his stuff, me.  Can't think of an artist that would have been more suited to Bradley and Revere.  As for Strontium Dog, well, many would disagree but I loved his take on that.  His dark, edgy style suited the (justified) sense of foreboding and really fitted the tone (skaters, moshers, youthful rebels, etc).

Bring him back!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

grthink

Can't agree more that it'd be great to see more from Harrison. I love his work on Revere, and really liked his take on Strontium Dog -- in particular his take on Feral.

credo

Quote from: grthink on 14 September, 2012, 01:34:56 PM
Can't agree more that it'd be great to see more from Harrison. I love his work on Revere, and really liked his take on Strontium Dog -- in particular his take on Feral.

He was the only person to draw a decent Feral. Ezquerra and McNeil are both astounding artists, but they just didn't draw him as the angry, self-righteous teen he was so obviously meant to be.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: credo on 14 September, 2012, 02:14:21 PM

He was the only person to draw a decent Feral. Ezquerra and McNeil are both astounding artists, but they just didn't draw him as the angry, self-righteous teen he was so obviously meant to be.

While I do love Simon Harrison's Feral I do think Nigel Dobbyn did a good job too.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 September, 2012, 06:17:26 PM
Quote from: credo on 14 September, 2012, 02:14:21 PM

While I do love Simon Harrison's Feral I do think Nigel Dobbyn did a good job too.

Nigel Dobbyn wasn't my bag at all, I'm afraid.  His Gronk was great but his Feral looked a bit of a pussy, if you'll pardon my French.  Harrison's looked lean, edgy and vicious. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

grthink

I remember Dobbyn's work quite well, and I agree with Jayzus -- his Gronk was good, as was so much of his work, but Harrison's Feral was brutal and animalistic and well... "feral".