Main Menu

Monsterology 101

Started by Bat King, 18 September, 2014, 10:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

My copy arrived earlier this week. A fantastic collection. Love to know how the printers describe the stock the cover is printed on!

pauljholden

Matt with an embossed logo, I think. It feels lush..!

Mikey

Loved the series and am tempted to pick up the trade too,what with that new strip malarkey.

While I'm here, when's the next run due out? Is it next year?

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

pauljholden

Think so, literally in the middle of drawing it.

The trade includes all four issues, the extra story, and the prologue that was printed in the meg. As well as some sketch material in between.

-pj

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 10 October, 2014, 11:12:54 AM
The trade includes all four issues, the extra story, and the prologue that was printed in the meg. As well as some sketch material in between.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way the TPB has turned out. Never done an emboss before (although it's exactly the same as a spot UV varnish) and I think it's worked really well. Renegade are really making me up my game on book design — I'm really quite proud of the Robbie Burns book (which is making its way to press as I type) and I'm hoping to bring everything I've learned from that to the next DoM book (subtitled "Advanced Monsterology and Media Studies").

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 October, 2014, 01:06:51 PM
Never done an emboss before (although it's exactly the same as a spot UV varnish)

Oh good grief of course its the same as a spot UV varnish, I mean what else could it be like huh, really Jim...

... err...

...what's a spat USB vanish...???

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 October, 2014, 03:38:14 PM
Oh good grief of course its the same as a spot UV varnish, I mean what else could it be like huh, really Jim...

You know how the cover of the limited edition Dredd Illustrated Screenplay book had a matte finish but Dredd's visor was picked out in a shiny finish...? That's a spot UV. You supply an extra 'plate' in addition to the standard four CMYK separations with a solid black to show where you want the UV applying. Exactly the same procedure for letting the printer know which areas of the cover you want embossing.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

Ah, what the sneck- ordered the trade from Renegade. Really looking forward to finally reading this...

I, Cosh

Saw this in Midtown Comics the other day and it really is a very nice, tactile volume.

For fellow tightwads like myself who aren't into double-dipping, the aforementioned new story is currently available separately on Comixology.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Ignore him and buy this, the tactile cover, additional artwork and general fortean groove demands it!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Have passed this on to MiniHuff as he has a Fortean Times subbie and a lurve of horror so should be right up his street.
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Not sure why the delay, but the trade of this popped up on Comixology's new releases yesterday. The blurb says mentions something about "USA Today", which I assume refers to the same prologue which ran in the Meg?

Worth a look if you haven't already.
We never really die.