Main Menu

DC Rebirth

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 March, 2016, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 May, 2016, 10:01:50 AM
The only DC comic I read these days is Batman (the Scott Snyder, New 52 Batman), so I had a look at this Rebirth stuff on Comixology and couldn't figure out what I should be buying.

Wikipedia has this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Rebirth#.22Batman.22

The Monarch

You want all star "promise its not miller this time" batman thats gonna be snyders new batman title

Colin YNWA

Well whatever we think about it, its shooting out the blocks!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/08/dc-comics-already-reprints-aquaman-flash-wonder-woman-action-and-detective/

I think last weeks have gone to reprint already too.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Pyroxian on 01 June, 2016, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 May, 2016, 10:01:50 AM
The only DC comic I read these days is Batman (the Scott Snyder, New 52 Batman), so I had a look at this Rebirth stuff on Comixology and couldn't figure out what I should be buying.

Wikipedia has this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Rebirth#.22Batman.22

Quote from: The monarch on 01 June, 2016, 06:26:04 PM
You want all star "promise its not miller this time" batman thats gonna be snyders new batman title

Thanks, that'll help!

Michael Knight

I think i'm going to check out maybe the batman and superman titles. Didn't think I would as getting bit tired of these constant Marvel/DC title relaunches but I have been hearing good things about rebirth.  :)

Apestrife

Read Wonder Woman. Love Liam Sharp's art, but the writing isn't the best. Diana reads like a broken record, on and on about "lies/truth" (as if there where some magic universal law separating the two). Also went great lengths to drag on about the origins, as if they're really that different besides which god or gods who happened to show up when Hippolyta fashioned a playdough baby. Also felt as if it read more into the misconceptions of the Azzarello/Chiang run rather than the story itself. Sharp has said he loved their run, so perhaps it's just some meta story stuff. Regardless, for me the writing is a bit lacking. Still hoping it'll be good. Gonna give it a couple of more issues.

I've also eyed Tom King's Batman. Eyed, not to say enjoyed. Still Batman riding a plane on a crash course and asking Alfred "Is this a good death?" isn't something I read every day, and certainly something I'd like to see more of. But I'm not very sold on the art (David Finch isn't my cup of tea).

Quite interesting to see the old continuity mean so much to lots of readers. Hope it helps DC to pick up sales wise.

Apestrife

I'm quite interested in Suicide squad, since Rob Williams is writing it. Can't go wrong with him :)

Professor Bear

Gave The Flintstones a go.
If I gave you my general impressions, you would probably go "oh here he goes trying to read some leftfield meaning into a perfectly straightforward children's comic", so instead I will simply describe what unfolds:
By page 7 Fred and Barney are at a veterans' group as one of their friends is in tears describing how he murdered a village of innocent people by setting fire to the trees they lived in, and how even now he sees their dead bodies.  This is presented as a joke.
Fred is supposed to be showing some new workers - cavemen with no concept of civilisation - a good time so that they stay on at the quarry where Fred works and he'll get a promotion, and the joke is that instead of seeing strip club boobies, they hear about a genocide.
Later, Fred takes the cavemen to a boxing match where they are appalled by the brutality and spouts of blood flying off the fighters.  After the fight, a humorous scene unfolds in the background as the losing fighter is fed to pterodactyls who rips strips of his flesh off, while the victor gives praise to Marp, the pagan deity that watches over Bedrock and all its people.
Later, one of the caveman cries over a deflated balloon.  Fred asks his friend why he's crying and is told "he's never had to deal with death before."
The cavemen eventually leave Bedrock after one of their friends is killed at a party after being goaded into a drunken display of bravado by Fred's overbearing boss.  As they go, they lament that "civilisation" is simply a way to get other people to do your killing for you.
During the party, Fred's boss meditates on the nature of fate, and - ridiculing the idea of an afterlife - how the massive stone sign above his quarry that bears his name may be the only thing that will endure the ages, while the many deaths Fred saw or committed during the wars would be as forgotten as Fred himself.  He smiles and thanks Fred for his service in the war.
Wilma's primitive attempts at art are ridiculed by the intelligentsia of Bedrock when displayed in a museum, and she reveals them to Fred to be replications of the handprints her tribe placed upon the cave walls of her now-distant home on the day they became classified as human beings, children having no status in her tribe, and just as she made her mark on the walls of her home and "became someone", so too does she try to make her mark here in Bedrock in the only primitive way she understands - by replicated the primitive rituals and images of her childhood before she was sold to Fred.
In the present day, the caveman who perished at the party is displayed in a museum, perfectly preserved.  he is a curiosity to be gawked at - the only proof of an advanced stone age civilisation that once existed in what is now known as Bedrock Valley, all other evidence of this civilisation having been wiped from the face of the Earth.  The final image is of the museum at night, a close shot of the caveman in the darkness, his final expression of terror captured for eternity.

I am making none of this up.

Hawkmumbler

TordelBack

Prof Bear, your posts are a major highlight of this forum. This one no exception. In the welcome absence of the tyrannical Like button, I express my appreciation.

BPP

Sounds like a good comic.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Trent

Based on Prof Bear's recommendation I just downloaded Flintstones 1. Don't really know what to say, other than WTF! His description is, if anything underselling this curio; I have no idea who this comic is ained at and I cannot believe a single person picking up a Flintstones comic would expect or welcome what they got.
It is sold as a Teens and over comic including swearing etc.
Utterly, utterly bizarre.

Modern Panther

I just did the same thing.  I'm imagining people buying this for their kids and those kids being seriously confused.  Swearing, racism and immigration, war and genocide, art and the search for meaning, all with talking dinosaurs.

Thought it was great though.  I read it with the cartoon voices in my head

Theblazeuk

Great!

I enjoyed the Scooby Doo APOCALYPSE first issue as well but it was nothing compared to this :)

Colin YNWA

Yep you fella's 'tricked'me into getting this comics - well you folks and a couple of other reviews and like Wacky Races its an utter wonder. Is it a good comic... not sure BUT I'd suggest if I took the famous brands off this I'd be lauding them as imaginative wonders like nothing else on the market.

The reality ... well you defo can't say DC isn't trying something new and as such should be lauded. I'll be back for issue two and what I will say os whatever becomes of the series (well certainly Flintstones and Wacky Races) in years to come, whether hailed as classics or abysmal abuses of comics licenses they will be talked about. Yes sir they will and for that alone I'm along for what I suspect will be a very interesting ride!