Main Menu

Zenith Phase 1 Hardback

Started by Bat King, 31 August, 2014, 07:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

Could this book look any better? The end papers are great and the graphic design is stunning. Brendan McCarthy's sketches are amazing and missing from the Complete Zenith. The image on the rear cover of the hand clapping monsters from phase IV is odd but overall I'm amazed. Please can Tharg sell us a slipcase for all 4 volumes?

J.Smith

My copy from Forbidden Planet, with a numbered and signed print that matches the interior end papers, finally arrived this morning and wow wow wow wow. I know there's only a small number of hardback 2000AD books at the moment but out of them all, this is easily the best so far. Brilliantly designed both on the inside and out, with the usual high quality reproduction - even of colour segments, just like in the first volume of Mek Files, I was happy to see! - and the additional joy of it being very comfortable to flip open and read all makes it a belter in my book. Would love to see more classic series' reprinted in this manner.

Either way, I'm now even more excited to get my hands on the first volume of the Daily Dredd's in a couple of weeks time. Great stuff!

Bat King

yeah it is a great looking and feeling book. Shame Molch-R never seems me the physical versions to review ;)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Magnetica

I'm not really one to buy collected editions of stuff I already own in the Progs, but I made an exception for this, as Zenith has always been one of my favourites and I have reread it since it was first published.

I got my copy yesterday and read the whole lot. It was every bit as good as I remember. It really works well when read as a complete story.

I always thought Steve Yeowell did his best work on Zenith, and I have to say this is fantastic stuff. It just seems to me to be more detailed than his work on same the Red Seas, which was becoming too minimalist for my taste.  I really like the clear and crisp line work. It reminds me of Brian Bolland and to me that is as good as it gets.

Really looking forward to Phases 2, 3 and 4. In the meantime I got my copy of the Daily Dredds today, so that should keep me going for a while.

Magnetica

Where's that modify button? Meant have not reread since.

Darren Stephens

Picked this up this week, too. Have to agree, cracking book. Beautiful design, great art, superb story. What more could you want....?!!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dan Kelly

Anyone else notice that the dates in the Prologue post-date the dates in the latter parts?

SpongeJosh

I know this thread is over a year old but i didn't want to start another thread on Zenith Phase 1.

Bought Phase 1 in the flash sale. I cant believe what i was missing. Brilliant book cant wait to get the other phases now.  :D

Colin YNWA

Your in luck as it just gets better, for me Phase 1 is the weakest of the lot and Phase 3 is just comics heaven(s)

SpongeJosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 April, 2016, 11:13:52 AM
Your in luck as it just gets better, for me Phase 1 is the weakest of the lot and Phase 3 is just comics heaven(s)
It GETS BETTER? Next weeks purchase will be Phase 2 & 3!  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

Phase 2 is actually the odd one of the bunch, but it's great to see Rick Astley with superpowers fight bald neo-Hitler and not-Richard Branson.

And then, as Colin quite rightly puts it, Phase 3 is a clusterfuck of awesome propertions. One of the best things Thargy has bestowed upon us unworthy readers in the last 40 years.

Dark Jimbo

One of these days I must get around to reading Zenith...
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 April, 2016, 09:03:11 PM

Get. Out.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 April, 2016, 09:03:11 PM

If you read Alan Moore's Captain Britain run, you're probably okay.