Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Glad to hear it isn't serious about your wife Goaty. Still it's scary.

Eric Plumrose

Pubs wot don't clean their beer lines properly. Without being overly enthusiastic about either, I know Doom Bar and SA Gold shouldn't smell and taste of vinegar.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Tombo

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 August, 2016, 05:33:11 PM
Pubs wot don't clean their beer lines properly. Without being overly enthusiastic about either, I know Doom Bar and SA Gold shouldn't smell and taste of vinegar.
Back when I lived in pubs (1974-90) failure to clean your lines regularly and properly was a serious offence for a landlord or manager, as I recall one or two people were dismissed by John Smiths for said offence.

Having said that the chemicals we used back then were a bit less eco-friendly than the stuff they use these days and would probably make your drink taste worse than vinegar.

Hawkmumbler

You know what really grinds my gears? Forumites that change their handle every 4 months or less. Oh sure, it might not be as bad now as it was a few years ago, but gosh is it still annoying*.

*Say's the forumite formerly known as Hawkmonger.

Theblazeuk

With rare exception if you've changed your handle since I joined I just don't know who you even are anymore

JayzusB.Christ

I love a nice sour beer, i do. But yeah, only if it's meant to be.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 August, 2016, 09:39:41 AM
You know what really grinds my gears? Forumites that change their handle every 4 months or less. Oh sure, it might not be as bad now as it was a few years ago, but gosh is it still annoying*.

*Say's the forumite formerly known as Hawkmonger.

agreed - there was a new name I didn't recognise the other day with over 4000 posts - no idea who that was.

AKA The Curse of Weatherspoons - lots of choice, poorly kept

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 August, 2016, 04:00:13 PM

Also, I believe Wetherspoons buys beer other pubs have returned to the brewery because they think it'll go out of date before they can sell it. Spoons shifts beer in such volumes, they take a punt on being able to sell it even with a short Use By. I'm not convinced they're that fussy about whether it's still in date when they sell some of it...

(Not to mention one of the Nottingham Spoons definitely selling me something that came out of a bottle that purported to be an eleven year old McCallans single malt, but was no such bloody thing.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 August, 2016, 04:25:14 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 August, 2016, 04:00:13 PM

Also, I believe Wetherspoons buys beer other pubs have returned to the brewery because they think it'll go out of date before they can sell it. Spoons shifts beer in such volumes, they take a punt on being able to sell it even with a short Use By. I'm not convinced they're that fussy about whether it's still in date when they sell some of it...

(Not to mention one of the Nottingham Spoons definitely selling me something that came out of a bottle that purported to be an eleven year old McCallans single malt, but was no such bloody thing.)

Still, a pint of cask ale for €2.75... They're relatively new in Ireland as far as I can see not half as seedy-looking as a lot of the Spoonses in Britain.  The novelty hasn't worn off for me yet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

there are some great 'spoons about - the basic template (cheap ale and food, no obtrusive music or TVs) is a good idea. Nice ones tend to be very nice, crap one tend to be like something from League of Gentleman. I personally know of 6 around Manchester - Chortlon, Town Hall and Rusholme are lovely pubs, Deansgate and Oxford street are OK but the big one on Piccadilly is horrible - a truly grim barn of a place filled mainly with solitary drinkers, a warehouse for alcoholic inadequates.

They do have a high staff turnover though and don't always look after their ale very well.

Theblazeuk

Yeah - even the one in Rochdale is s'ok, though it's the main boozer in town it's relatively good compared to anything in centre but the Baum.

The one in Heywood is quite lovely.

Molch-R

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 01 September, 2016, 10:10:00 AM
Yeah - even the one in Rochdale is s'ok, though it's the main boozer in town it's relatively good compared to anything in centre but the Baum.

Both scuppered by the fact one is in Rochdale and the other is in Heywood, rendering them utterly and irretrievably beyond the pale.

;)

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 September, 2016, 11:23:46 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 01 September, 2016, 10:10:00 AM

Both scuppered by the fact both are south of the border, rendering them utterly and irretrievably beyond the pale.

;)

FTFY
DDT did a job on me

Molch-R

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 September, 2016, 11:32:40 AM
Northernerist! ;-)

Anything to the right side of the Pennines is a-okay with me though ;)