Main Menu

York these days

Started by sheridan, 12 September, 2016, 01:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

We're off to York for a wedding in a few days - other than Travelling Man, what's to do in the fair city?  We know about:

• The chocolate exhibition
  • [/size]Betty's tea room
  • [/size]Fulford Arms
  • [/size]Duttons for Buttons
  • [/size]Travelling Man
  • [/size]OG Games
  • [/size]Evil Eye
  • [/size]Betty's tea room (it got suggested twice)
  • [/size]Castle Museum.

Rio De Fideldo

Railway Museum?
Fibbers live music venue
Jorvik viking exhibition (flooded)
Walk round the City Walls
If you've got English Heritage there a Cold War Bunker recently opened

Rackle

You forgot to mention Ye Olde Starre Inne: 4th oldest pub in England; featured in the TV adaptation of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, where the Society of Magic held their meetings; and, more importantly, where Rackle was working as midnight struck on New Year's Eve 1999 and her first drink of 2000AD (see what I did there?) was a pint of Old Peculiar - none of that sparkly white wine thanks. It cost me more to get a taxi home on New Years Day 2000 than I earned from working behind the bar the night before but I was a poor student.

As a Yorkshire person I've been taken to Jorvic Viking centre as a school kid more times than I care to mention and the nasty smell they manufactured to let us know what Vikings smelled like haunts me to this day, so I'd rather pass on that, if we may, thanks all the same.

Roll on the alternative suggestions  :)

GordonR

Go to the House of Trembling Madness.

sheridan

Quote from: GordonR on 12 September, 2016, 06:42:30 PM
Go to the House of Trembling Madness.
Looking at Evil Eye, Ye Olde Starre Inne and the Armoury (where I bought my celtic sword-style letter opener) on google maps, I did notice that - shall have to check it out (though I have no idea at this stage what it is (bar, shop, museum, something else entirely).  Ta, Gordon!  If it is a bar, we'll have to have some Jaegirmaester ;-)

Tony Angelino

I went to York for a week on a school trip in the late 1970's so my information is a bit out of date.

The Viking site was just a big hole in the ground then from what I remember and there was some sort of prison where Dick Turpin had been kept. His grave is also in York.

I remember the Railway Museum as well because the Mallard was there and I was quite interested in it at the time.  If you're going to see a train you might as well see it.

I also remember the shopping area called the Shambles which looked like it was a few hundred years old.

sheridan

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 12 September, 2016, 08:24:46 PM
I went to York for a week on a school trip in the late 1970's so my information is a bit out of date.

The Viking site was just a big hole in the ground then from what I remember and there was some sort of prison where Dick Turpin had been kept. His grave is also in York.
Oh yes - I've seen 'Dick Turpin's grave' - seem to remember its historicity is in doubt...

sheridan

We went to the House of Trembling Madness, but completed forgot to drink Jaegermeisters.  We did get a bottle of mead from the off-licence as a thank you present to the cat-sitters though.  Major highlights were Bedern Hall (location of the wedding itself, situated very close to the Minster but in a surprisingly quiet area considering proximity), a vintage bus journey from Monkgate Bar and the reception in Barmby Moor Barns.  We also went on a short walk of part of the walls, and saw a few loaf-cats.  There were a few other highlights, though it isn't my place to say what they were...

Rackle

By that, are you saying what happens in The Fulford Arms, stays in the Fulford Arms?  Or are we pretending that Rackle didn't drag you to the wrong cemetery in Fulford to 'meet the family' (well there are two in Fulford). :-[

Thanks folk for the suggestions. York was fun.

Grugz

not been for a few years but if its still there "plunkets" (sic) was quite nice... I miss kool kollectables as well.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

zombemybabynow

there's a tramp that likes to crap down the famous walls

100 points if you see the tramp

20 points per wall-poo
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Rio De Fideldo

Lovely new Travelling Man just opened last weekend. Looks good.

Rackle

Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 20 September, 2016, 07:59:25 PM
Lovely new Travelling Man just opened last weekend. Looks good.

Oh it is good! And I got nods of approval for wearing my Judge Dredd Tshirt in there  :D

sheridan

Quote from: Rackle on 20 September, 2016, 12:13:23 PM
By that, are you saying what happens in The Fulford Arms, stays in the Fulford Arms?  Or are we pretending that Rackle didn't drag you to the wrong cemetery in Fulford to 'meet the family' (well there are two in Fulford). :-[

Thanks folk for the suggestions. York was fun.
The latter - it was only up to you to share our visit to your late relatives (as opposed to your sister and her menagerie).

Fulford Arms-wise - you've not seen anything until you've seen (and heard) a metal karaoke night.  With occasional injections of Eminem and PJ and Duncan.  btw, there is now a generation of people of pub-going age who don't know what PJ and Duncan was (they know who Ant and Dec are, but not their previous alter egos).