Main Menu

2000 AD announces Prog 2000 signings in UK, Ireland, US!

Started by Molch-R, 26 August, 2016, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

metalmarc

I got a noob question, hope this is the right place for this

I have never been to a signing , really not met anyone famous before and noticed this is now in cardiff which is perfect for me to get to, should i attend?

I am only just getting back into dredd, would i be seen as a poser as if i was asked any questions by the artists or do they just sign and i move on, like how do these things work, if i was asked like what my favourite stories were i would be stumped, i already have social anxiety a bit, but would love to go, maybe i should step aside and let the true fans go as i could be cheating someone of a place i dunno  :-[

sheridan

Quote from: metalmarc on 09 September, 2016, 06:55:49 PM

I have never been to a signing , really not met anyone famous before and noticed this is now in cardiff which is perfect for me to get to, should i attend?

I am only just getting back into dredd, would i be seen as a poser as if i was asked any questions by the artists or do they just sign and i move on, like how do these things work, if i was asked like what my favourite stories were i would be stumped, i already have social anxiety a bit, but would love to go, maybe i should step aside and let the true fans go as i could be cheating someone of a place i dunno  :-[
Don't worry - it's an event in a comic shop - social anxiety is almost compulsory :-)

Seriously though - most  signings you'd be lucky to have a chance to chat with the creators for more than a few seconds!

metalmarc

Quote from: sheridan on 09 September, 2016, 06:58:50 PM
Quote from: metalmarc on 09 September, 2016, 06:55:49 PM

Don't worry - it's an event in a comic shop - social anxiety is almost compulsory :-)

Seriously though - most  signings you'd be lucky to have a chance to chat with the creators for more than a few seconds!

Ahh perfect, sounds like i may attempt this

Tjm86

I'm going to back Sheridan on this one.  Meeting the gods that create the tooth is an awe inspiring experience.  Add in the fact that Cardiff FP is not going to allow room to swing a cat and the production line mentality and you'll be lucky for a few seconds.  That said, the creators all appreciate our awe and are incredibly good natured about it.  If in doubt I would refer you to Terry Pratchett's advice for signings.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 September, 2016, 07:49:06 PM

I'm going to back Sheridan on this one.  Meeting the gods that create the tooth is an awe inspiring experience.  Add in the fact that Cardiff FP is not going to allow room to swing a cat and the production line mentality and you'll be lucky for a few seconds.  That said, the creators all appreciate our awe and are incredibly good natured about it.  If in doubt I would refer you to Terry Pratchett's advice for signings.
You inspired me to change my avatar!  Go on then, what did he say about signings?  My new profile pic is from a bar rather than a signing.  He complemented me on my head of hair so I lent him some of it for the snap :-)

Tjm86

I'll let you ferret that out for your self.  Any decent search of Pratchett quotes and signings should do it.  Personally I only had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman once during a signing for Hogfather in Lancaster. A rather interesting little bookshop that I think had a role in L-space theory.   Needless to say that edition is pride of place in my hardback collection.

Geekgasm is to be expected at these events.  I took a bunch of students to Bristol a few years ago and one wanted their copy of V for Vendetta signed by David Lloyd.  The gentleman did a fantastic little sketch in her copy.  Her friend then imploded when asking for a sketch and told him that he had Read Watchmen!  The look on Mr Lloyd's face was priceless!  Bless him.

I know I've told that story before but I think it emphasises that these guys are used to us losing the plot over our heroes and are great about it. I'm sure Eamonn has a thousand tales about his experiences getting various progs signed for charity.

Eamonn Clarke

As others have said, MetalMarc, it's not an examination for us people bringing stuff to sin. Most creators are happy to break up the monotony of a signing with a little chat with the peeps thrusting comics under their noses, but at the same time they are probably just as happy to do a few quick ones without chat just to keep the line moving.

I know these events can be tricky with social anxiety but see how you get on, no-one is going to test you on your Dredd knowledge. Hopefull your first event will go well and maybe at the next one you might strike up a converstaion with your neigbours in the queue. Some of the best conversations I've had at conventions have beewn with people I don't know in the queues.

As for speaking to the creators just start by telling them you love heir work, and that it's good of them to do the signing. That sort of stuff is currency both for the creators and for all the organisers who go to such lengths to arrange these events.

Go, get some books signed, have fun, come back for the next one and say hello. The 2000AD crowd is a friendly and welcoming one.

metalmarc

Thanks guys, one last thing to ask, what are we allowed to get signed? Dumb question i know but is it only issue 2000?

Or can we bring any book the artists worked on that we own, Or will we have to buy something 2000ad related at the forbidden planet store on the day i cant find any info on it

Just making sure i get in my head what to expect before i go to my first ever signing, thanks for being patient.

Eamonn Clarke

You can certainly bring other books to be signed as well. I assume there will be plenty of copies of Prog 2000 in the shop which they will be keen for us to buy but I've never been to a FP signing where that was compulsory.

Sometimes if the queue is very long the organisers will set a limit on things to be signed. At the Bolland and McMahon cursed earth signing it was three items including the book itself, although I think that was stretched a bit

Of course some people take things to extremes and many of us have been stuck in a line behind the guy with the pull-along suitcase which turns out to be piled high with books to be signed. Don't be that guy, please.

Pick books that are important to you or yours, or that represent particularly fine examples of the creator's work. Or if you are looking for a bit of chat then an old or rare book will often trigger some interest from the droids.

Have fun and say hello, 2000AD fans are a friendly bunch in my experience.

Oh, and my spelling in my last post was lamentable. Apologies.

metalmarc

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 September, 2016, 08:55:25 PM
You can certainly bring other books to be signed as well. I assume there will be plenty of copies of Prog 2000 in the shop which they will be keen for us to buy but I've never been to a FP signing where that was compulsory.

Sometimes if the queue is very long the organisers will set a limit on things to be signed. At the Bolland and McMahon cursed earth signing it was three items including the book itself, although I think that was stretched a bit

Of course some people take things to extremes and many of us have been stuck in a line behind the guy with the pull-along suitcase which turns out to be piled high with books to be signed. Don't be that guy, please.

Pick books that are important to you or yours, or that represent particularly fine examples of the creator's work. Or if you are looking for a bit of chat then an old or rare book will often trigger some interest from the droids.

Thank you once again for your informative reply, i litterally have just one book i want signed and maybe issue 2000 thats all. No worries on the spelling, i have awful spelling and grammar, punctuation etc,  but your posts were 100% clear to read so thank you so much.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: metalmarc on 25 September, 2016, 09:55:06 PM
Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 September, 2016, 08:55:25 PM

Thank you once again for your informative reply, i litterally have just one book i want signed and maybe issue 2000 thats all. No worries on the spelling, i have awful spelling and grammar, punctuation etc,  but your posts were 100% clear to read so thank you so much.

No problem, have a good time at Cardiff FP.

I'll be in London spending some money, getting stuff signed, and hopefull recording an episode for my podcast afterwards.

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 26 September, 2016, 10:15:01 AM
No problem, have a good time at Cardiff FP.

I'll be in London spending some money, getting stuff signed, and hopefull recording an episode for my podcast afterwards.

Ditto!

JUDGE BURNS

Any other judges heading to Edinburgh for the 2000th prog signing of 2000AD today?
Alan Grant, Colin MacNeil, Gordon Rennie, Emma Beeby and Tom Foster in attendance. I have a few items to be signed other than the 3 variant covers of prog 2000. ( I know that there's a 4th cover being printed).

COMMANDO FORCES

There are loads of awesome pictures on instagram covering this!