Main Menu

Any Chance We'll Ever See a Strontium Dog movie/TV show?

Started by RJMooreII, 18 September, 2010, 08:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJMooreII

While he's not nearly as well known among most people as Dredd, back in the day Johnny Alpha's comics was nearly as popular as Dredd. I think the comic would work excellently as a sort of miniseries with him going after various bounties from week to week. They came out with a few (horrible) video games based on Strontium Dog, after all.

I'm just hoping he wont end up being another of my favorite character forever condemned to media obscurity (like Thanos).
I ♥ VIOLENCE

JOE SOAP

Mardroid

I think it could make an excellent series. Actually with the bounty hunting thing it could work better as a series than a film. On the other hand a film budget would handle the special effects better, unless they go down the Firefly route and have him on sandy desert type planets for much of the time.* I actually think there are ways around it though.

And yes it could make an excellent game with all the special ammo and timey-wimey gadgets (and the bounty hunting of course). I'd prefer a 3PP shooter (like Rogue Trooper) to the first person perspective of the Dredd Vs Death game. I like seeing the main character do stuff, and I tend to find 1PP games disorienting.

*That's not a criticism of Firefly. It's one of my favourite Sci-fi series in fact. There was a moment when I thought 'another wild west world?' but then there were just enough other episodes to break it up a bit.

Dandontdare

Funnily enough, Firefly also crossed my mind when I thought about a strontium dog film/series. The strip has always had a very 'western' feel, so those frontier-type desert planets would be perfect.

Story-wise it would make an ideal adaptation. the mutant/racism parallels, the bounty hunting plot-driver and the cool sci-fi gadgets would make it a winner.

RJMooreII

QuoteThere's nothing wrong with media obscurity.
No, there's not, the MSM is rubbish. But I'd like to see something done with the character.
QuoteActually with the bounty hunting thing it could work better as a series than a film
My thoughts precisely.
QuoteI like seeing the main character do stuff, and I tend to find 1PP games disorienting.
My friend says the same thing, I'm just the opposite. My first video games were Blake Stone, Duke Nukem, Rainbow Six and Doom.
I ♥ VIOLENCE

Buddy

Jared Katooie

Argh! A link to TV Tropes! NooOo!

:o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click :o click....

Pete Wells

Yup, Carlos did some outstanding designs for it too. Images courtesy of Barney...

That's WHY Carlos is king!

RJMooreII

Carlos sent me a message on Facebook just this morning  :P
That is some great concept art, I was considering using it as the basis for a Halloween costume.
I ♥ VIOLENCE

Colin YNWA

Didn't the story for this get redeveloped by John Wagner and become 'The Kreeler Conspiracy' or is that my memory playing tricks on me?

leebrown1990

Yeah, didn't he have like a flying robot (like Booster Golds Skeet) as a companion instead of WULF?
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: RJMooreII on 19 September, 2010, 02:51:48 PM
Carlos sent me a message on Facebook just this morning  :P
That is some great concept art, I was considering using it as the basis for a Halloween costume.

Do it! I have a massive love for obscure Halloween costumes. It's a form of geek shibboleth. You should keep ten bucks on you for anyone who recognizes Alpha. If you are based in WA you will probably get to keep the tenner.

RJMooreII

Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 19 September, 2010, 06:20:25 PM
Do it! I have a massive love for obscure Halloween costumes. It's a form of geek shibboleth. You should keep ten bucks on you for anyone who recognizes Alpha. If you are based in WA you will probably get to keep the tenner.
I'll make sure to post pictures here if I do! I'll have to show them to John and Carlos, too.
I ♥ VIOLENCE

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 September, 2010, 02:58:12 PM
Didn't the story for this get redeveloped by John Wagner and become 'The Kreeler Conspiracy' or is that my memory playing tricks on me?

Yup.

Quote from: leebrown1990 on 19 September, 2010, 03:44:27 PM
Yeah, didn't he have like a flying robot (like Booster Golds Skeet) as a companion instead of WULF?

It was inside his helmet, rather than flying around. It was called Milton. I often wonder what happened to old Milton. He was quite a fun character.

Mardroid

Those are excellent pictures. That's huge amount of gadgetry! It's like every little thing which I thought was designed that way purely for appearance sake actually has a practical use!

And the guns. I'm a sucker for sci-fi guns. (Big kid at heart.)

I take it the second 'camera eyes' are so he can see someone sneaking up out of his usual field of vision.