Main Menu

Started by moly, 15 December, 2012, 08:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 22 December, 2012, 01:18:01 AM
(cont) for months. And it seems to get better with every installment, as GF-D plainly makes it up as he goes along and as situations occur to him- which is how i wish comics were done more often today. It's the difference between a drama series and a serial drama, and serial dramas are not the dumping grounds of shit writers and actors that lazy snobbery would have you believe. DISASTER is a serial drama that could have run and run. I'd imagine it petres out next month, as GF-D grew tired of the concept in the later stages. Still, be interesting to find out.

The cover is a late contestant for my personal comic cover of the year award, and while it wouldnt work necessarily as a stand alone edition for sale, as the front of a 'freebie', it's indicative of a fierce and hungry design sense, keen to kick some arse. Hope next month's is equal to it. Glorious, so much better than 90% of Rebellion's trade covers, and better than 100% of Meg covers this year.

SBT

I couldn't have put it better mate! Also just finished the floppy and i have to say i really enjoyed it.

Great review too.  ;)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Professor Bear

I liked Disaster 1990, too, even if it doesn't bear the slightest scrutiny on a storytelling level (where are the helicopters, international relief efforts, science don't work like that, etc) before you get to asking why Bill didn't mention any of this in Invasion or Savage and why there is not even the slightest hint it ever happened.  It's episodic, daffy post-apocalyptic adventure in an intriguing setting and aimed at boys who like hard nuts shooting and explosioning things, as one would expect of 1979 Twoothy.  Wasn't long before this that Dredd was fighting a car called Elvis on the moon who was going around robbing oil, so I'm not inclined to judge D90 as harshly as others.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 December, 2012, 02:37:51 PM
Wasn't long before this that Dredd was fighting a car called Elvis on the moon who was going around robbing oil, so I'm not inclined to judge D90 as harshly as others.
Well put! Dissaster 1990 is better than the bulk of Case Files 01 (Robot War and Return of Rico being the only stand out exepctions to my 'be advised to skip CF01' rule for newbies).

Trout

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 December, 2012, 02:37:51 PM
I liked Disaster 1990, too, even if it doesn't bear the slightest scrutiny on a storytelling level (where are the helicopters, international relief efforts, science don't work like that, etc) before you get to asking why Bill didn't mention any of this in Invasion or Savage and why there is not even the slightest hint it ever happened.  It's episodic, daffy post-apocalyptic adventure in an intriguing setting and aimed at boys who like hard nuts shooting and explosioning things, as one would expect of 1979 Twoothy.  Wasn't long before this that Dredd was fighting a car called Elvis on the moon who was going around robbing oil, so I'm not inclined to judge D90 as harshly as others.

I believe I summed it up with "tosh".  :) But I can't disagree with you.

NapalmKev

Enjoyed Disaster 1990, not a bad read at all.

The Dredd Christmas tale was well told and beautifully drawn.

Killer Elite: good story overall, but I feel it did fizzle out a bit at the end.

Anderson: good finish, enjoyed the story and the artwork was particularly nice.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Skullmo

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 17 December, 2012, 10:01:10 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 December, 2012, 12:06:34 AM
He's traced Dredd artwork, though, which is the property of rebellion, so it's not illegal or anything*, just a bit tricky ethically for the artists involved.  I gather Greg Land has avoided trouble in the past by only tracing artwork owned by the company he's working for, so this would be the same kind of situation.

* Although tracing and/or plagiarism is not legally actionable as far as I know.

IMO, it's less about whether what he's done is legally problematic and more that outright tracing the work another artist has produced for the same publisher - and doing it twice on different strips - suggests contempt both for the other artist and for the editor commissioning your work.

It seems pretty clear from his work for the prog/Meg and the few bits I've seen online that he's heavily influenced by Jock/Dom Reardon and others. That would be cool, as most artists wear their influences on their sleeves initially (and occasionally throughout their careers), some to the point of being hammered for being "imitators". However, there is - to me, at least - a pretty big difference between being heavily inspired by someone's work and working in their style before you refine and define your own, and simply tracing elements of their previous work.

I would say it's more a swipe than a trace, and many artists swipe (unfortunately). It's embarrassing when they are caught!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Daveycandlish

I loved the floppy this month (always enjoy the early stuff B&W being reprinted and rarely enjoy the stories reprinted from the 90s with their painted muddy art when they return as floppies - Tharg take note!) - best thing about the Meg this time around - but have to disagree about the cover of it. No, it lacked oomf and it took me ages to see the title in the water  :-\
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

DrJomster

I'm going to go lone wolf with a vote for Tales From Megacity 1 as my top thrill, issues about tracing aside. Nice slightly (but not too much) old school feel about it.

Second place goes to Anderson. I'm ok with how it's going script-wise & Mr Cook's art has certainly delivered. Interested to see if Anderson's in the 2013 Death story. Here's hoping!

The cover and tagline were excellent I have to say. Great to see the Carroll and Parkhouse interrogations.

Pleased with all the love for the floppy. Shall be tackling this shortly!

Don't forget, good people, support your Meg!  :thumbsup:
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Mabs

Quote from: DrJomster on 01 January, 2013, 11:45:55 PM
I'm going to go lone wolf with a vote for Tales From Megacity 1 as my top thrill, issues about tracing aside. Nice slightly (but not too much) old school feel about it.

Second place goes to Anderson. I'm ok with how it's going script-wise & Mr Cook's art has certainly delivered. Interested to see if Anderson's in the 2013 Death story. Here's hoping!

The cover and tagline were excellent I have to say. Great to see the Carroll and Parkhouse interrogations.

Pleased with all the love for the floppy. Shall be tackling this shortly!

Don't forget, good people, support your Meg!  :thumbsup:

Rest assured you're not the only one mate, i too really like Tales From Megacity 1. I've noticed the controversy regarding tracing-gate, but being a new reader i wouldn't have noticed.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

LeeCarter_Artdroid

Mmmn, Missed all this due to being in sunny Cuba,,but it seems it's not just Jock he traced.. Page 9 panel 1 is a trace of my work. Google lawmaster and you will spot my Dredd on a bike :).You can tell as the cosistancy of the eagle pad changes. Shame as he seems like a good artist :(.
Still nice to be a inspiration ;)

Mabs

Quote from: LeeCarter_Artdroid on 03 January, 2013, 08:17:19 PM
Mmmn, Missed all this due to being in sunny Cuba,,but it seems it's not just Jock he traced.. Page 9 panel 1 is a trace of my work. Google lawmaster and you will spot my Dredd on a bike :).You can tell as the cosistancy of the eagle pad changes. Shame as he seems like a good artist :(.
Still nice to be a inspiration ;)

I just did. That does seem very similar! By the way, great art for the original Lawmaster mate!  ;)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

BPP

Anderson and Killer Elite for me.

Not a fan of Burns on Dredd (too much pensioner about Joe) nor Carroll's take on Dredd.

Fuso's strike two and three were glaringly obvious, his Dredd on the final page an entry into 'how many broken bones would you need to look like that?'. You can see Yeowell in his art as well as Jock and Dom but there must be serious doubts as to where the better panels are coming from.

the floppy was great although that was probably nostalgia. They have been very good this year - ratfink and Download tales especially.

looking forward to Reaper bk ii and hope Fay Daltons contributions to that make a return too.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd