Main Menu

Night Terrors / Sleep Paralysis / Old Hag / Black Dog dreams

Started by Emperor, 05 March, 2012, 04:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

I don't mean to sound insensitive. I just thought it's bad enough having someone snoring in the bed next to you, let alone someone screaming and thrashing about at night in the grip of night terrors.
I like your irony Mudcrab, subtle.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Mudcrab

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Goosegash

I've had night terrors for many years, usually a couple of times a week. Sometimes what happens is I wake up in a panic thinking I have to get out of the bedroom immediately before something terrible happens, but usually I only ever get as far as the landing before realisation sets in. Sometimes the dream state bleeds over into reality and I wake up convinced that some object in the room is a ghost/demon/other, before common sense reasserts itself and I realise "Oh, it's just a mic stand" or whatever. It's annoying, but I'm just grateful never to've had sleep paralysis, which sounds horrific by all accounts.

This has to be one of the most disturbing accounts of SP/lucid dreaming I've encountered, the accounts of a Catholic priest from the early 80s.

http://www.spiritwatch.ca/onlucid.htm
QuoteI was just lying in my bed wide awake waiting for the bell to ring when I began to feel these strange chills throughout my body. This usually means that the vibrations are not far behind, and after that an out-of-body experience; but the vibrations did not come, just these strange chills getting colder and colder. Then I began to hear some mumbling off to my right, and when I looked over there, I saw this little man, looking like a ventriloquist's dummy, smiling at me and chatting away in some incoherent language. When I asked him who he was and what was he doing in my room, he just kept smiling at me and mumbling away in that strange language. I got out of bed and grabbed him by his foot, then I bounced him off the ceiling like a rubber ball; when he came down I tried to grab him again but he scooted under my bed and came up on the other side. He then turned his face away from me so that I could only see his profile, and then he spoke these three short sentences which I heard as clear as a bell and had no trouble understanding, "We have Him. Christ is burning. The hummingbird men have Him!" When I tried to grab him again he disappeared and I was back in my bed.

I'm not religious in the Catholic sense, but somehow this idea of demonic evil is a much more frightening to me than the usual Hollywood bone-twisty possession nonsense.

Oh, and talking of dreams within dreams brought this sketch to mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NHjYhaQWvQ

Emperor

Quote from: fonky on 07 March, 2012, 12:41:34 PM
I don't mean to sound insensitive. I just thought it's bad enough having someone snoring in the bed next to you, let alone someone screaming and thrashing about at night in the grip of night terrors.

Of course, as this is sleep paralysis, there isn't any thrashing around. As far as I'm aware I've never screamed in my sleep or thrashed around more than what might be considered normal (or ever sleepwalked or suffered from other parasomnia). I have sleeptalked on occasion - there is the usual being woken up for something important, having a chat with the person but not actually being awake (or falling back to sleep without being aware you were awake), but I've also had presumably dream-related chats while asleep which range from the scary (suggesting we need to phone the fire brigade) to the surreal (insisting what a jolly fine chap Daffy Duck is).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

M.I.K.

That is weird. Everybody knows Daffy Duck's a bit of a git.

Emperor

Quote from: M.I.K. on 07 March, 2012, 04:44:29 PM
That is weird. Everybody knows Daffy Duck's a bit of a git.

I will attempt to refute this point later, whilst asleep. Brace yourself.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Gonk

Don't you wake up drenched in sweat after such an episode? Have you ever experienced one where your body drifts up to the ceiling and you look down at your sleeping body lying on the bed? I know people who go climbing at high altitudes sometimes report out of body experiences in their dreams.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Emperor

Quote from: fonky on 07 March, 2012, 08:40:26 PM
Don't you wake up drenched in sweat after such an episode?

I did yes, other people might not. ;)

Quote from: fonky on 07 March, 2012, 08:40:26 PMHave you ever experienced one where your body drifts up to the ceiling and you look down at your sleeping body lying on the bed? I know people who go climbing at high altitudes sometimes report out of body experiences in their dreams.

Never had an OOBE, it is a whole different ballgame.