Main Menu

Remeber when games used to be more fun?

Started by richerthanyou, 26 January, 2016, 12:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: richerthanyou on 29 January, 2016, 06:01:27 PM
I still stand by my idea that the internet has killed social gaming.

I disagree for two reasons:

1) my girls and I love playing SW: Battlefront. Winner stays on (not always me!) and the controller gets passed around.

2) When my girls have gone to bed I gather a squad of buddies online and play more SW: Battlefront. People don't have to be in the same room as you for a social gaming experience!

So in summary, both online and off, both experiences above are social, thus I feel your statement is incorrect.

I rest my case, m'lud.

IndigoPrime

JamesC

I can see what RTY is saying though. Same room multiplayer seems to have been ditched entirely in many popular franchises in favour of online, which seems a shame. I mean, seriously, Need for Speed without local split screen multiplayer?

IndigoPrime

I was going to do a probably not very funny IN MY DAY rant, and then I remembered this, so... yeah.

ThryllSeekyr

After just about completing my house move, before moving the larger stuff via truck.  I found the box for Journey Which was never Journey to the Center of the Earth at all!

I never lost the cassette tape for it either, it was right inside the box along with copy of Realms of Impossibility

Of which, I still have the snazzy cardboard envelope it was purchased in with some impressive art work of Indiana Jones type explorer/hero at the top of some ledge somewhere in the depths of below the ground. I think he had to always find the key to open the next level. Described as places you'd find in hell.

Even the programmer/coder/developer is dressed up as MY Jones on the inside cover.

What made this game different for it's time was that it two player co-operative and you could raise them from the dead just by touching them and yeah, I know this is really old news now, but back then, it might have this feature.  It also had some of the most ear-splitting  music which got really repetative after a while.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 02 February, 2016, 12:21:43 AM

Even the programmer/coder/developer is dressed up as MY Jones on the inside cover.

Mr Jones!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 29 January, 2016, 10:08:25 AM
Found a flash version of Barbarian that looks better than the original and emulated version I have played ever briefly and boy you need to be quick. I lost my head three times before I found out how to retreat or duck. I's not that hard, cause I have already one afew so far.

When I said this looks and plays better, that isn't to say something was lost in the transition.

In case that link isn't working, Barbarian - The Ultimate Warrior

richerthanyou

I didn't actually play it but yesterday was the first time I got a buzz from checking out a game.

My local Burger King has Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 5 with the little card machine and everything!

While I didn't have time to play it (we were late for the cinema. Because ya know, getting there on time for zoolander 2 was so important) I have made a mental note (and in writing this post an actual one) to go back and play it as soon as I can.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Satanist

Quote from: richerthanyou on 29 January, 2016, 06:01:27 PM
I still stand by my idea that the internet has killed social gaming.

I would argue that internet revived my social gaming. The group I played with as a boy are now spread throughout the uk but we still manage to catch up now and again online and with the headsets on still get the same banter. Sure you cant nudge them as they aren't on the same couch but its the nearest we could possibly achieve.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?