Main Menu

Suggestions for the floppy

Started by Recrewt, 19 June, 2014, 12:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

The floppies seem to have steered wide of Dredd for a long while, preferring to trawl the lesser regaled tales of yesteryear from every where else.  Possibly to avoid treading on the Mega Collection's toes.  Personally I thought the meg was at it's best on the reprint front when it was including stuff that might have interested us from elsewhere, such as Preacher or Scarlet Traces, or from Battle.  I'd love to see them do a series of Battle floppies (or as an ultimate wildest dream a series of hardback reprints of 'The Complete Battle').  I guess ultimately they're probably be going to go with what is easiest to source to keep down costs so we get what we get.

IndigoPrime

Easiest in the sense of cost-effectiveness, yes. Paper costs very little when it comes to modern magazines. It's creating new content or licensing existing stuff that eats into your budget. So anything outside of Rebellion-owned properties is going to be unlikely for the floppy.

Magnetica

What else does Rebellion own that could make an appearance? Presumably they didn't acquire the rights to any other IPC or Fleetway titles when they bought it?  What about stuff from Starlord or Tornado?

The Adventurer

I think we've been told a couple times that the only non-2000 AD material they own is anything that started in Starlord or Tornado and continued into 2000 AD. IE: Strontium Dog, Robusters, Black Hawk, etc...

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Planet of the Damned getting reprinted though give's me hope some smaller titles (Wolfie Smith?) published in either Starlord or Tornado might now be in their clutches....

Magnetica

The Mind of Wolfie Smith did indeed carry on into 2000AD after the Tornado merger.

The Starlord story Time Quake also made a very brief appearance in 2000AD if I am remembering correctly - but not immediately after the Starlord merger. So by your logic Rebellion possibly has the rights for those as well (?).

Colin YNWA

Has Wolfie Smith ever been reprinted? While the first two stories were pretty ropey (in 2000ad I've not read the Tornado stuff) I enjoyed the last one. Surely it can't be too far off getting a reprint, but I wonder if they're holding it back for a 'proper' trade? at some point?

sheridan

The Wikipedia pages for Egmont UK and Time Inc, UK say the following (though long story short - no idea who owns the rights to stories that didn't get published in 2000AD and Starlord or 2000AD and Tornado):

Egmont currently owns all comics characters and titles created by IPC's subsidiaries after January 1, 1970, (with the exception of the 2000 AD stable, which Egmont sold off and which is now owned by Rebellion Developments), together with 26 specified characters which appeared in Buster and Roy of the Rovers; while IPC currently retains its other comics characters and titles, including Sexton Blake, The Steel Claw, and Battler Britton[2] (but not Dan Dare, which was sold separately and is now owned by the Dan Dare Corporation).In 1987, part of the comics holdings of IPC Magazines Ltd (comprising those comics and characters created after 1 January 1970, plus 26 specified characters from Buster, which was then still being published) were placed in a separate company, Fleetway Publications, which was sold to Pergamon Holdings.[4][8]

In 1991, Egmont UK purchased Fleetway from Pergamon, merging it with their own comics publishing operation, London Editions, to form Fleetway Editions. The latter was absorbed into the main Egmont brand by 2000, having sold off the continuing titles (such as 2000 AD), and continued with only reprint and licensed titles (e.g. Sonic The Comic). IPC had retained the other comics characters and titles, i.e. those created before 1970 (except the 26 characters from Buster), including Sexton Blake, The Steel Claw, and Battler Britton[4] One character, Dan Dare, was sold separately and is currently owned by the Dan Dare Corporation.

IndigoPrime

Last I knew, DDC owned more than Dare—it also at the very least owned Computer Warrior, given that I had to get permission from DDC to include artwork in a feature I was writing about the strip (that, sadly, never actually happened in the end).

Link Prime

In memory of Tony Luke, it would be really nice to see Middenface McNulty "Wun Man an' His Dug" reprinted in a floppy.
Never reprinted before (as far as I recall), and IMO it's a bit of an early Meg gem by Grant, Luke & McCrea.

Third Estate Ned

I'm glad you said that because I made the same suggestion a long while back on this thread and wasn't sure whether I might have missed it in the meantime. I love the art in that story.

Pyroxian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 January, 2016, 10:06:36 AM
Last I knew, DDC owned more than Dare—it also at the very least owned Computer Warrior, given that I had to get permission from DDC to include artwork in a feature I was writing about the strip (that, sadly, never actually happened in the end).

I imagine Computer Warrior would be a rights nightmare to reproduce, given that all the games were from US Gold (who are now owned by Eidos), plus some of those games (Express Raider, Gauntlet, Ghostbusters) were licensed from other companies...

mejustnow

SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: mejustnow on 23 February, 2016, 03:07:53 PM
Atavar

I'd rather have a Complete graphic novel of that, to be honest!
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 February, 2016, 03:11:57 PM
Quote from: mejustnow on 23 February, 2016, 03:07:53 PM
Atavar

I'd rather have a Complete graphic novel of that, to be honest!
Yeah, well. I said the same for Lobster Random and look what happened. Sometimes you got to just take it as it is.