Main Menu

The Thread of Eldritch Culinary Knowledge…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 13 December, 2015, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

There's something that just feels wrong about running cold water through hot rice - doesn't it just end up a claggy lump?

Theblazeuk

Not in my experience! Wouldn't work well for sticky rice.

Mardroid

I'd think that combination of hot and cold could lead to food poisoning too! Rice is a bacterial breeding ground.

Tjm86

TBH running it under cold water is my preferred method and I'm still standing.  That said after compo rations and hotlocks my system may be seriously compromised.

Theblazeuk

Oh give over :) food poisoning from putting your rice through cold water? Eat it or slap it in the fridge, nay problem.

My culinary tip - Hungarian Paprika Paste. http://www.hungariandeli.com/Paste.htm

This stuff is bloody lovely on chips. 'Sweet' = Salty but not spicy. 'Hot' = pleasantly spicy + salty, delicious mixed with a bit of mayo on a burger.

Up there with chilli sauce as the world condiment of the gods.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 January, 2016, 06:53:18 PM
I'd think that combination of hot and cold could lead to food poisoning too! Rice is a bacterial breeding ground.

Rice only grows bacteria if you leave it at room temperature for too long (e.g. leaving out last night's Chinese take-away on the counter overnight). If you transfer it to the fridge once it's stopped steaming, and eat it within a day, it should be fine.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

Jim_Campbell

Rice freezes pretty well, too. Simply because of the size of tins of coconut milk, we always end up making too much rice and peas when I attempt a West Indian curry, but we just freeze it in individual portions and nuke it to eat another day.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Seasoning: I know most recipes just say salt and pepper but we always try add some sweetness (agave nectar or maple syrup), some acid (lemon juice or wine/cider vinegar) and some salt. This trinity as recommended by that bloke they all idolise on Saturday Kitchen) really does make any sauce taste ten times better.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 January, 2016, 12:27:56 PM
Seasoning: I know most recipes just say salt and pepper but we always try add some sweetness (agave nectar or maple syrup), some acid (lemon juice or wine/cider vinegar) and some salt. This trinity as recommended by that bloke they all idolise on Saturday Kitchen) really does make any sauce taste ten times better.

I've a recipe for a not-really-Thai-green-curry coming as soon as I have time to type it up which leans very heavily on this principle.

Cheers!

Jim

Molch-R

Chiming in as I did a cracking rub for a steak last night:

Give the steak a good bashing.

Mix the following and rub it into the steak:
2 tsp chile powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tsp dried oregano
3 tsp dried mustard
3 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
a tiny touch of olive oil
zest of 2 limes

Leave to sit for two hours in the fridge. When ready, take out and griddle at a high heat to your satisfaction (don't worry if the rub looks too dry, as soon as you take it off the heat the steak's juices will seep out)

And for a nice chimmichuri sauce:
1 bunch finely chopped fresh basil leaves
3 cloves garlic, choppe
½ cup olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp crushed chilli flakes

Mix all together, swizz in a blender, dollop on your steak.

Lovely.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Molch-R on 08 January, 2016, 12:58:54 PM
Lovely.

I'm trying that. Annoyingly, we actually had steak last night, too.

Curse you, MOLCH-R! Does your hatred of the subscribers know no bounds?!

Cheers

Jim

Molch-R

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 January, 2016, 01:29:39 PM
Curse you, MOLCH-R! Does your hatred of the subscribers know no bounds?!

Well since I'm never going to share my super awesome spaghetti bolognese receipe with you all, the answer can clearly only be "yes" ;)

Tiplodocus

I'll share a great spag bol recipe shortly.

But in the meantime, "Don't you miss cheese on pizzas and stuff?" Is a question I get asked a lot. The short answer is no. The longer answer is this awesome cheese less antipasti pizza.

An added bonus is that depending on time, you can make as many or as few of the components as you wish. If I have plenty of time and feel like indulging myself, I make the dough, the pesto and the tomato sauce from scratch.

Pizza base 12 inch
1 tablespoon of tom puree
2 to 3 tablespoons of pesto
6 tablespoons of favourite tomato sauce (not ketchup!)
A dozen sun dried tomatoes ( drained from oil)
Artichoke hearts (drained from oil)
Roast red and yellow peppers drained from oil
(Obviously you can use any antipasti you like e.g. you might prefer mushrooms in oil to the artichokes)
A dozen black olives
Fresh torn basil leaves.

Spread the pizza base with the tom puree, then the pesto, then the tomato sauce.
Arrange your antipasti evenly  on top along with the olives and the basil. (You might want to get a bit of oil on the basil to stop it crisping up too quickly)
Stick in your oven for about twenty minutes/ whatever the pizza base instructions say.

I sprinkle with a little bit of nutritional yeast about five minutes from the end of cooking.

It really is ridiculously tasty with lots going on in your taste buds!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

richerthanyou

Just came up with this beauty

RTYs poor student with no money super salad!

Find a container. Cook some fish fingers. Chop em up into bite sized pieces. Put in the container

-the fish finger pieces
-spinach
-grapes
-walnuts
-grated cheese
-chopped carrots
-unsweetened unflavored popcorn

Throw it in your bag and eat at lunch time. And for desert, a rip top can (small) of cold rice pudding. I was worried that the protein and carbs could be higher. If you are someone who needs the extra carbs and protein I recommend a small tin of cold baked beans on the side.

ENJOY :)
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)