Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

The old "I'm not ****ist but why do you have to shove it down my throat by acknowledging their existence and depicting them in any way"

TordelBack

Which reminds me: when are we getting another Judge Hamida story? Or do we have to wait for her to be the surprise guest in a Mike Carroll Dredd?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'm not arguing against diversity, but* off the top of my head I can't think of any character in anything with whom I have identified, based on ethnicity alone. My favourite characters are a Giant Green Nuclear Rage Monster, an Authoritarian Clone, a Girl Who Went Out, an Alien Deviant or a Randy Russian Swashbuckler.

I think it's more important to have an interesting character than to pander to a demographic.

*hmmm, sounds a bit like "I'm not racist, BUT..."
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

All white males, except for 2000AD's first (white) female-led strip, and a male alien.  If there were no white males depicted in key roles at all in the prog, or the bulk of the medium, or across all media, I'd say you might feel differently about 'pandering'. Especially when you were a child.

Hawkmumbler

Representation is important to appealing to a wider demograph, not pandering to a more niche one (which ironically is exactly whats being done by have almost entirely white leads).

In all 2000AD history only Black Sidha jumps out at me as having a POC lead and cast.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 February, 2017, 08:03:54 AM
In all 2000AD history only Black Sidha jumps out at me as having a POC lead and cast.

Sinister Dexter (half), Blackhawk/Aquila (the lead character at least), Asylum (I'm reaching here) and, errr, Outlaw.  Any others?  And don't suggest Rogue Trooper.

Our comic, despite all its progressive strengths, is a prime example of pandering to a demographic, that demographic being the white male of broadly anglophone judeo-christian origin. Aliens too, I suppose.

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 February, 2017, 08:10:26 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 February, 2017, 08:03:54 AM

Sinister Dexter (half), Blackhawk/Aquila (the lead character at least), Asylum (I'm reaching here) and, errr, Outlaw.  Any others?  And don't suggest Rogue Trooper.

Our comic, despite all its progressive strengths, is a prime example of pandering to a demographic, that demographic being the white male of broadly anglophone judeo-christian origin. Aliens too, I suppose.

Or Strontium Dog. Mutants aren't diversity you muppets.

There's also Pan-African Judges but we....don't talk about that.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Theres a lot of rather unpleasent stereotyping going in in HH that makes me hesitent to put it on a platform with the likes of Sin/Dex or Aquila.

Steve Green

That'll be Pan-African judges, drawn by a black artist who wanted to to expand beyond the stereotype sketched out on the World Judges poster, and changed the direction of in the second series?

But we 'don't... talk about that'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Africa_(comics)#Design_and_criticism_of_Pan_African_Judges

I wouldn't mind giving it a revisit.

TordelBack

Good one Sharky- both versions of HH plus Inferno really.  And Pan-African Judges.Killer too, I think? Okay, so there are several strips in our 40 year history that have non-white leads, and even a handful with (gasp!) girls. Bravo us, I think.

But this isn't comparable to the Ms Marvel situation. The thought experiment that best models that one for me  is to imagine that I'm a kid when almost EVERY comic hero is a Muslim girl of middle-eastern descent, as are most politicans and pubic figures, and the only time a white character shows up in fictio is when he or his brother/father is a member of a terrorist organisation, and his dialogue is peppered with 'Begorrah!' or '...arr flegs!' as he fondles some rosary beads/gathers bonfire tyres. And then an Irish superhero (note: not Banshee)  shows up in a good comic and people complain about 'pandering' to my demographic.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 February, 2017, 09:30:33 AM
That'll be Pan-African judges, drawn by a black artist who wanted to to expand beyond the stereotype sketched out on the World Judges poster, and changed the direction of in the second series?

But we 'don't... talk about that'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Africa_(comics)#Design_and_criticism_of_Pan_African_Judges

I wouldn't mind giving it a revisit.
Whoa, thats something I wasn't aware of. Maybe a revisit IS in order...

Satanist

As a young Scots lad the appearance of Kenny Who in Dredd (and the tartan logo) blew my mind. At that age I had no idea about where the artists and writers were from but just the very existence of this character made me keenly aware that people in the larger world knew that my tiny country of origin existed and that made me even more of a fan than before. I can only imagine that for anyone in an actual minority seeing themselves represented this feeling would be experienced tenfold.

It also helps that the script and art was fantastic.  :)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?