Main Menu

Collecting quirks

Started by Trout, 18 November, 2012, 01:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Lego, gibber gibber!  I've got all the Minifig sets except for a couple of the first series (the zombie and another one).  Series 9 comes out later this month.  As usual it has some excellent new stuff (a Judge (no, not that kind) in wig and robes, a bloke in a chicken suit, a zombie version of the space marine they put out in series 7) and a bunch of why-did-they-bother ones (another knight, a guy in a tux).  Forbidden Planet has just sent me an newsletter showing a Lego Rancor Pit set and a Bane-Batman set.  Brickarms keeps bringing out new weapons. How can you resist a Lego version of the pulse rifle from Aliens? And my son, he wants to pull it all apart and make things.  That's not what it's for!!

Actually, he makes some very clever things but usually he does it less than 24 hours after we've finished putting a new kit together.  Feelings of pride mixed with horror.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richmond Clements

Man I love lego...
I think one of the only upsides of my current situation is that I physically have nowhere to put it!

Spikes

Quote from: JamesC on 04 January, 2013, 05:22:26 PM
Like this beast! http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6951-1

Nice! And thanks for that link, JamesC. Id been meaning to track down a dedicated site to see if i could remember what sets i originally had. A couple of potential future purchases have caught my eye now.
Hopefully snag 'em as bargains..

Trout

Quote from: Dash Decent on 05 January, 2013, 10:27:09 AM
Lego, gibber gibber!  I've got all the Minifig sets except for a couple of the first series (the zombie and another one).  Series 9 comes out later this month.

I saw Series 9 packs in my local Tesco a few days ago. I'm resisting... for now.

JamesC

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 January, 2013, 04:23:41 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 04 January, 2013, 05:22:26 PM
Like this beast! http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6951-1

Nice! And thanks for that link, JamesC. Id been meaning to track down a dedicated site to see if i could remember what sets i originally had. A couple of potential future purchases have caught my eye now.
Hopefully snag 'em as bargains..

There's another site called Let's Build It Again which has loads of scanned instructions free to view online.

sheldipez

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 November, 2012, 08:26:28 PM
I guess the sad truth is that I honestly prefer comics to trades. While collected versions are lovely and I'm very glad they are now so prevalent, having grown up with an industry that seemingly refused to even think about putting consecutive issues together in a 'permanent' edition, I much prefer having a box of bagged and boarded issues. Yes, it's annoying to have to pull out a run and yes, each time there's that moment of terror as you wonder if twenty year old sellotape is this time going to catch the cover of a priceless old comic and scrape the surface off... but I guess, first and foremost I love the format. I love the feel, the smell and the look of old comics more than I love the feel of new trades, however "definitive or absolut" they may be.
There's something therapeutic about buying a stack of old comics, reading through them then bagging & boarding them up and filing them away into their longbox. Nothing better when a big lot of comics turn up in the post.

Hawkmumbler

Argh! I have several boxes of LEGO stored in my GP attic! I'll want to give it a dig out now!  Bugger!

Spikes

Quote from: JamesC on 06 January, 2013, 11:00:27 AM
There's another site called Let's Build It Again which has loads of scanned instructions free to view online.

And site now saved!
Are you familar with this site? Its pretty good as well.

Now ive had a good old looksee as to whats out there, im thinking of collecting the sets from '78 to '80/'81 - if i can, as these were the ones i had first time round. Ive no real recollection of those later sets. And the sets kinda changed around '82 as well, didnt they. Less basic, and a bit more fiddly looking, if you know what i mean.
Deffo prefer the more basic sets, but thats just my nostalgia at play.

SKD was right. This slope aint half slippery,  ;)

SKD

Quote from: Judge Jack on 06 January, 2013, 06:20:25 PM
Now ive had a good old looksee as to whats out there, im thinking of collecting the sets from '78 to '80/'81 - if i can, as these were the ones i had first time round.
Deffo prefer the more basic sets, but thats just my nostalgia at play.

SKD was right. This slope aint half slippery,  ;)

More slippery than sliding down a greased pole wearing a pair of banana slippers. :D

My recent collection started in 1999 with the Lego Landspeeder 7110. According to my Brickset account I now have 366 different sets, which includes 668 minifigs. 

Brickset is one of the best Lego sites, containing a database of nearly every Lego set ever made, listing over 9500 sets.
The 'classic' space range can be found at http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=space

Stew.

Trout

Quote from: Dash Decent on 05 January, 2013, 10:27:09 AM
a zombie version of the space marine they put out in series 7

I'm the proud owner of one of these as of this afternoon. My son got the mermaid and my daughter got what looks like Julius Caesar. I think they'll probably swap at some point.  :D

COMMANDO FORCES

There is something seriously wrong with you lot!

James Stacey

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 January, 2013, 04:32:23 PM
Are you a collector of these James?
Ive been watching related bits and bobs on e-bay for a while, and these three came as one set, and was fairly cheap. Though some Lego Space bits are dear, im happy to play the long game and snag bargains.

Used to have no end of these back in the day - late70's/early80's, and i was instantly transported back to that time opening the package today.
Not of Classic Space, no. I have a complete collection of Castle up to about 5 years ago. I used to have a vast Lego collection and still have a collection much larger than it needs to be. I used to build a fair bit as well as collect but don't have the room any more. ( http://www.minifig.co.uk/ )

TordelBack

Santa brought my eldest some out-of-print WizKids Star Wars Pocketmodels as stocking-fillers, having (apparently) located them in a bargain shop for buttons (a starter set and 5 booster packs for under a tenner, that's about 50 models plus cards, the hairy old skinflint). 

It seemed innocent enough.

Now however, after days of building gorgeously tiny plastic models and hurling them into battle, the whole household is hopelessly addicted to a collectible card game they don't even make anymore.

Bargain shops have now been scoured and stripped bare of their meagre 99c-a-pack holdings, and worse, in the process the wife has discovered the Pirates of the Carribbean Pocketmodel game at similarly daft clearance prices, so when my son has finished obliterating my lovingly-assembled Star Destroyer she is using Zombie Jack Sparrow to sink my four-master.  If this family must fall prey to such ridiculous collecting addictions, can they at least be ones I'm any good at playing!

Curse you Santa, and the crack-filled sleigh you rode in on.

Hawkmumbler

Spikes

Now that weve established, and fully reconciled ourselves to, the slipperiness of the slope, a little treat arrived yesterday.
Look away now, Mr Trout..

And @ JamesStacey: great to browse your site - good stuff!