Main Menu

Preacher Cain.

Started by Kirbs, 01 March, 2012, 07:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirbs

Hello everyone, I've just finished reading the Missionary Man Bad moon rising. Can anyone tell me if Preacher Cain appears in anymore trades or stories?

radiator

There were many further Missionary Man stories - totalling a few hundred pages of material, including his own Cursed Earth style epic. No plans to collect them afaik, though it seems they might be thinking about it, as otherwise they surely would have started reprinting them as Megazine 'graphic novels' by now.

radiator

Here's a full list of all MM stories after the ones that appear in Bad Moon Rising:

Treasure of the Sierra Murder 4 episodes (Megs 2.63 to 2.66) 30 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Simon Davis

Medicine Show 1 episode (Meg 2.81) 7 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Jon Beeston

Nightriders 2 episodes (Megs 2.82 to 2.83) 14 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Jamie Grant

Mississippi Burning 3 episodes (Megs 3.01 to 3.03) 22 pages
Harke and Burr

Satanic Farces 4 episodes (Megs 3.04 to 3.07) 28 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie and Si Spencer, Artist: Dean Ormston
Featuring: Missionary Man
Missionary Man

Crusader 1 episode (Meg 3.17) 8 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Charles Gillespie

The Big Sleazy 3 episodes (Megs 3.18 to 3.20) 29 pages

Night of the Hunter 1 episode (Meg 3.26) 6 pages

Mortal Combat 1 episode (Meg 3.27) 6 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Marc Wigmore

Juggernaut 1 episode (Meg 3.34) 7 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Henry Flint

The Shootist 2 episodes (Megs 3.36 to 3.37) 14 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Christian Bravery

Storm Warnings 1 episode (Meg 3.38) 7 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Trevor Hairsine

Missionary Man: Prologue 1 episode (Prog 1091) 6 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Simon Davis, Letters: Steve Potter

Mardi Gras 5 episodes (Progs 1092 to 1096) 30 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Alex Ronald

Goin' South 6 episodes (Progs 1118 to 1123) 36 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Alex Ronald

Apocrypha 1 episode (Prog 1124) 10 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Henry Flint

The Promised Land 15 episodes (Progs 1174 to 1188) 90 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Alex Ronald (1-3, 8-9), Trevor Hairsine (4), Colin MacNeil (5-7), Simon Davis (10-12), Dean Ormston (13-15)

Mark of the Beast 4 episodes (Progs 1201 to 1204)
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Jesus Redondo, Colour: D'Israeli

Silence 1 episode (Meg 3.77) 10 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Wayne Reynolds

Place of the Dead 5 episodes (Megs 4.09 to 4.13) 46 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: John Ridgway, Letters: Ellie De Ville

James Stacey

I assumed Bad Moon Rising was a toe dip to see if there was a desire for the character to be collected. Personally I think the strip is great and would love to see more. With a spanking new Alex Roland cover preferably (although I know Mr Rennie disagrees on that point )

radiator

Could also simply be that the first volume has all that lovely Frank Quitely artwork.

Be a shame if there's no further volumes - its certainly one of the better Dredd spin-offs there has been. Around the time of The Big Sleazy is when it really found its feet IMO. Really enjoyed The Promised Land, felt like a proper Dredd style epic.

SmallBlueThing

I'd certainly be up for future mishy man trades- though i'd also appreciate a second printing to correct the first one, as the colours in the mostly-yellow frank quitely story hurt my eyes, and the previous (hamlyn? I forget) edition is much better.

SBT

TordelBack

Never really got Missionary Man.  I liked some of the art, and it always seemed like a concept that should appeal, but it just didn't click for me.  Promised Land is about my favourite story from what I've read.

Kirbs

Thanks for all the replies lads, especially radiator for all the info on other stories than have appeared in the Program and Meg.
I hope that they do include these into another trade. It's a shame Frank Quitely didn't do more of the art, it was his art that grabbed me when I originally read the tales in the meg.

Colin YNWA

Big fan of the Missionary Man and would love to see more trades, if only as I don't have some of the Meg stuff. Alas I do wonder, as Radiator pointed out, that I think the first volume was sold on the back of Frank Quitely's work. Mind if it sold great guns then no reason more won't follow I suppose.

Fingers crossed and yeah I too love Alex Ronald's work on the strip regardless of what Mr Rennie has to say on the matter.

Emperor

Quote from: Kirbs on 01 March, 2012, 07:28:35 AM
Hello everyone, I've just finished reading the Missionary Man Bad moon rising. Can anyone tell me if Preacher Cain appears in anymore trades or stories?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_Man_(comics)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Professor Bear

I couldn't really get into Missionary Man, either, but put this down to being because by the time I was getting into the Meg I was really tired of gruff, tough SOBs who keep no counsel but their own and have a mysterious past, possibly with ties to X, Y or Z from 2000ad (usually Dredd, but not exclusively) history.  As you can imagine, I am quite perplexed how I ever got into the Meg at all if this kind of thing was a turn-off.

Mind you, I've always found westerns in general to be a bit juvenile and silly, moreso than superhero stuff on account of so many taking the former deadly serious when it basically amounts to being 6 years old again and running about going "pew pew" at a disastrously maligned ethnic minority.  Post nuclear trappings didn't really detract from this impression much.

Cthulouis

Just in case Tharg's reading, I'm going to add another vote for this getting collected. Only stated reading with Going South, so I have lots to catch up on.

Steve Green

Yeah, I picked up the MM book at Super Comic Con, I wouldn't mind seeing some more collections.

Kirbs

Well here's to hoping Tharg's listening to all the votes for a second volume of missionary man :)

brendan1

MM was a good character and I really enjoyed his stories.

Have him back in a NYM, if Gordon has the time and inclination