Main Menu

Prog 2000 Fabry Variant Cover

Started by ZenArcade, 30 September, 2016, 01:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

The Smiths in Maidstone only had the Cliff cover and not many of them when I checked on Wednesday morning. There were less on display than the usual Prog, so let's hope more people went in earlier to buy a copy.

blixab

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 October, 2016, 06:51:43 PM
I ordered my Fabry variant from FP online weeks ago. I went to the Shaftesbury AV store physically on Weds just to make sure. All they had was the Chris Burnham one (which I bought, having got the Cliff Robinson one as my subscription copy).

Just to be sure I phoned their customer services on Thursday to be told I was one of the lucky ones that hadn't been cancelled - as they has "received fewer than expected" . I would have been pretty miffed if they had cancelled it as I believe I ordered it very soon after it went up on their Website.

I was miffed - I ordered it about three days after it went up. Won't be using them again!

djangoesque

I don't understand why they did it like this!, comic shops are not 2000AD's friend (most of them don't normally even stock it!) and all it's done is encourage people to get multiple copies to sell on eBay, would have been much better to send the limited edition cover to subscribers!.

COMMANDO FORCES

Then those subscribers can then sell those extra covers on ebay and people who don't subscribe miss out! Just look at Free Comic Book Day, the whole idea is to get people into comic shops and every year Michael has to answer the question, no these are not available in digital form. Events like this get 2000 AD noticed by lapsed fans, potential new fans and the media.

Comic shops need footfall and if you don't live near them then I'm sure you can have stuff sent to you. I know mine has sent 2000 AD stuff to a fan in Australia.

ZenArcade

Well the prog 2000 party last night in Belfast sorted a lot of the Fabry cover crises...Glenn himself donated one and over the course of the evening five or six others appeared.  They were divided out to the satisfaction of all involved. I was even, thankfully able to keep mine, and picked up a copy of Zarjaz 2016 special from Pete Duncan and enjoyed the hell out of myself to boot!! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

djangoesque

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 01 October, 2016, 08:03:16 PM
Then those subscribers can then sell those extra covers on ebay and people who don't subscribe miss out! Just look at Free Comic Book Day, the whole idea is to get people into comic shops and every year Michael has to answer the question, no these are not available in digital form. Events like this get 2000 AD noticed by lapsed fans, potential new fans and the media.

Comic shops need footfall and if you don't live near them then I'm sure you can have stuff sent to you. I know mine has sent 2000 AD stuff to a fan in Australia.

Granted, but subscribers are the lifeblood of 2000AD, not comic shops. so better to give them a desirable item like this imo!.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: djangoesque on 01 October, 2016, 07:52:07 PM
I don't understand why they did it like this!, comic shops are not 2000AD's friend (most of them don't normally even stock it!) and all it's done is encourage people to get multiple copies to sell on eBay, would have been much better to send the limited edition cover to subscribers!.

Which I'd guess (just a guess) is kinda the point. If 2000ad doesn't do great in comic shops, a major way of selling the comics (still, its not just toys, please tell me the comics are still important) more through this major outlet is to generate interest like this. I'd suggest its created its desired effect, but I'm not convinced many will have gone to flippers, some will sure, but many more will have arrived into the hands of long time fans and more importantly, based on what my LCS said people taking an new, or revived interest in the title.

Lets me honest while Rebellion has to keep subscribers and regular readers happy we can't be their priority, after all they have us. Its got to be more important (and of course were I say 'got to' I'm really meaning 'I think') for them to pitch to new or lapsed fans, that's the only way they'll build readership.

As a subscriber I can live with this, I'll make what efforts I can to get variants and what not when it takes my fancy, sometimes I'm lucky and get it right, other times I don't but I'm fine with that I'll always have the comic to read if not all the covers. More important to me is the continued success of the comic so I continue to have the Galaxies Greatest to read. So long may Rebellion court other readers, they know they'll drag me along in their wake and for once I don't mind being taken for granted to  much. Its for all our benefit.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 October, 2016, 04:47:48 PM
My LCS - Sheffield Space Centre - were really surprised with the interest.They'd bought extra copies anticapting more interest but chatting to them today they said they'd sold out by end of Wednesday and been getting enquiries ever since. They were cynical about a few people turning up thinking they may well just flip them on eBay. Thankfully SSC understands the importance of returning custom over a quick win on eBay and had kept mine (and got me a signed copy of Steve McManus' book) and put aside one of each regular cover so I could get the one my sub cover wasn't.

We're lucky in Sheffield to have such a good old skool shop.

My local comic shop (Mega City Comics, Camden):
a) had sold out by the time I got there
b) had my normal reserved copy and had also saved me the other wraparound cover in case I wanted it - I bought both

After today's visit to the FB signing I now have the sitting on 2000 cover as well :-)

dweezil2

I hear the Fabry cover was limited to 2000 copies worldwide!  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

ZenArcade

They were incredibly hard to get. Z

ZenArcade

But irrespective of rarity: he's the man!!! Z  :thumbsup:

dweezil2

I agree, fabulous bloke and a great raconteur!  :)

COMMANDO FORCES

The colour Fabry variant was a 2000 print run and the black and white one, which will be out Wednesday the 12th, is a 1500 print run. Make sure to contact your comic shop to grab one, or two ;)

Jacqusie

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 October, 2016, 06:51:43 PM
I ordered my Fabry variant from FP online weeks ago.

Not sure it is "lucky" to actually get the item you pre-ordered and paid for. Surely the whole point of pre-ordering is so they know how many to get????

For good measure I have ordered the B&W one as well.

I orderd mine from FP about a month ago & still have no idea if I will get it - although my dosh has been taken it seems.

Still no fool like an old fool, and I will be ordering the B&W one to probably get the same outcome... but you never know ey?

Si

dweezil2

I must be one of the lucky ones!

Courtesy of Forbidden Planet today!