Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Buttonman

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 09 April, 2016, 11:23:52 AM
Do, you ever eat in?

I rarely eat outside!

Except now.

Afternoon tea is a civilized tradition where the posh folk (me) put the world to rights over some scones.

Here's me in Grange Over Sands looking over a large pile of grub. As well as a massive scone covered in cream and jam you also get some crust free sandwiches (cheese and pickle for me), a flapjack and a flies graveyard. Good deal for £8.75 including a pot of tea.

Dear Reader, I scoffed the lot.

Buttonman

Moving on to the Damson Dene near Windemere, the subject of my celebrated Tripadvisor Review.

The meal was OK but they made you feel like a cheapskate by having a limited menu "for our dinner inclusive guests" which was for the Groupon crowd. Worse still they didn't have the lamb from that small selection!

I opened with a goat's cheese tart and it was fine. Nice balsamic and warmed enough to make it nice and runny.

For my main I had venison which was OK but a bit tasteless for a game meat. I had some black pudding mash which was as dense as it sounds and lacking some flavour. I ate everything but it was all a bit forgettable.

Colin Zeal

Black pudding mash sounds lovely.

richerthanyou

Are you aware that your head tilts to one side? Maybe it's only in photographs. If it's not then it must be a bugger when it rains (unless you have a brolly)
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

TordelBack

Quote from: richerthanyou on 12 April, 2016, 11:52:35 AM
Are you aware that your head tilts to one side? Maybe it's only in photographs. If it's not then it must be a bugger when it rains (unless you have a brolly)

It's the weight of all the Heroclix he keeps in his pocket pulling him over to one side. You should have seen him back when Tharg was giving out LRDs.

Buttonman

Observant readers will note I change the side to which my head tilts so that my muscles develop equally.

We took a nice boat trip in Lake Windermere and trekked up to a place called High Dam. Looking for lunch we went to the Lakeside Hotel at the harbour - huge mistake! The sandwiches were £15! The menus weren't out and when I asked for one the barman gave it with an apologetic look. He clearly had me sussed as he never came back to take our order.

Instead we went to the tourist cafe and I had a nice cheese and pickle sandwich with some salad for a fiver. I asked for white bread and the wife brown with her prawns and they got it mixed up. We made do and the sandwich was fine. Had the £15 sandwich place made the same mistake the kitchen would have been stormed!

Buttonman

Last night dinner already <pause for cheers>

After fleeing the Damson Dene we set up shop in Bowness on Windermere and had our tradition last night curry at Lake Raj. It was strange in that we looked at another Indian but were put off by it's stern menu terns like 'You cannot just have a starter' and 'Minimum Spend £10' - seemed strange in such an affluent area.

We then went to Lake Raj to see exactly the same menu - they have two places that are each resistant to tightwad light eaters!

Anyway the food was great and we had the best Indian meal in memory. For starters I had the lamb and chicken kebab. It was lovely charcoal cooked meat with a rich curry gravy served in a soft chappati. The only downside was that it was massive and I could feel my appetite ebb away with every tasty bite.

or my main I had the lamb biryani and it was fantastic. Loads of crumbly pink meet in a tasty rice. The 'gravy' you usually get was replaced with a cracking vegetable curry full of squishy veg. Shamefully I was full halfway through and had to just pick out the meat towards the end.

They also did draft Kingfisher and a mean peshwari nan - stuffing your face doesn't get any better than this!

von Boom

Damn. That does look good. And draught Kingfisher. Jammy git.

Did you and the bloke behind you meet up and decide to wear the same shirt for the photos?

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 14 April, 2016, 07:50:04 PM
Did you and the bloke behind you meet up and decide to wear the same shirt for the photos?

Or did he just advise you to pick up some steak...?  :o

That really does look like my kind of meal, even the jpegs smell delicious.

Buttonman

Last grub of the trip time!

Short and local trips will be our way for a while due to an ailing mother-in-law - coming soon Whitby and Penrith! Quite enjoy mooching about the UK than having a big dull buffet on a cruise. No, really!

We stopped off in Kendal on our way home and pushed for time we went into the McDonalds. Running late or not we couldn't face the screaming kids, big queue or uncleaned tables so went into a small coffee shop that only served bagels.

My cheese and Parma ham bagel was fine as way my frothy coffee. Change from a tenner and an interesting location and fittings.

DaveGYNWA

Don't want to alarm you but there appears to be something right going on with your head/neck in that last picture ;)
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Buttonman

And we're back again!

Quick four day jaunt to Penrith and Whitby.

We stayed at The Lounge in Penrith and very nice it was too. We had lunch here on our first day and enjoyed four of their meze plates. Here we have a nice runny patatas bravas, some battered cod and some chicken strips. In front is a spicy lamb pizza sort of thing. Everything was great.

For pudding I had this elaborate affair which was like a Masterchef take on an ice cream float. The creamy ice cream was infused with 'Millions' sweets and it came with a small bottle of American cream soda. Tasty stuff!

ZenArcade

Loving it Button, and I'm on a diet. I'm slavering over the photos (the food that is). Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mattofthespurs

Your spicy lamb pizza looks suspiciously like a lahmacun.

Bloody love those. Once got the kebab shop to do me one filled with chunks of lamb and rolled up with salad. He now does them as part of his menu.