Main Menu

Jammy Finds

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 27 March, 2014, 05:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 August, 2014, 09:27:23 PM
All readily available in reprints, I own the Panini collections but IDW have done a very nice colour collection too. Written by Wagner and Mills they are well, well worth picking up.

The Wagner/Grant/Gibbons stuff was a really big deal when I were a lad -- the Weekly was a close competitor to the prog. The stories had a very genuine feel of being what the TV series could be if budget was no limit.

Fantastic comics. I've re-read a bunch recently and I think they stand up remarkably well.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

I'ved ahd a few 50p finds translating into £100 ebay profit, but always felt dirty afterwards... The Barbarian Heroquest expansion, the 1970 Dr Who annual (something about it having a pink spine or such meant it went for a lot more than we thought it would!)... I have a hardback Arkham house "The Horror in the Museum" that I got for 50p that I imagine might go for more - but carboots have been kind of ruined by sad middle aged profiteers with no real interest in teh stuff they get - used to be a gentleman's pursuit donchaknow?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 06 August, 2014, 11:10:38 PM
I..., the 1970 Dr Who annual (something about it having a pink spine ...

I wonder... we have that in the loft at my Dad's house. I know the covers pink now the spine...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 August, 2014, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 August, 2014, 09:27:23 PM
All readily available in reprints, I own the Panini collections but IDW have done a very nice colour collection too. Written by Wagner and Mills they are well, well worth picking up.
The Wagner/Grant/Gibbons stuff was a really big deal when I were a lad -- the Weekly was a close competitor to the prog. The stories had a very genuine feel of being what the TV series could be if budget was no limit.
Interesting. I had piles of the old Dr Who novelisations but have no memory of ever seeing a comic. I might try a collection then, rather than hoping to piece together a whole story from the odd issues lying in that shop.

Also, nice jam, Jimjam.

Quote from: Leigh S on 06 August, 2014, 11:10:38 PM
I'ved ahd a few 50p finds translating into £100 ebay profit, but always felt dirty afterwards...the 1970 Dr Who annual (something about it having a pink spine or such meant it went for a lot more than we thought it would!)...
... on the other hand, I have no such qualms. Some eBay research required.
We never really die.

amines2058

I recently visited my Nan's and went throught her attic looking at all the boxes I stuck up there over 20 years ago. It surprised me the amount of good stuff there was! e.g.
Diceman issue 2
JD Megazine 1-20ish
Manga Mania 1-10
Toxic 1-10
Loads of 2000ad annuals, specials and yearbooks
Strip 1-?
Some bBritish Alien collection issues 1-3 (collecting DH stuff?)
Marshall Law comic of some description eps 1-?
And my favourite piece Lobo's Back 1-4 stored in the original cardboard mini standee.
There was lots more but that was all I can remember at present. There will be some happy reading there!

The Doctor Alt 8

Got a couple of 2000 AD graphic novels from the library for 10p each....

Skullmo

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 09 August, 2014, 04:53:26 PM

As long as it wasn't Crusade and Bec and Kawl that was a bargain!  :lol:
It's a joke. I was joking.

Fungus

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 09 August, 2014, 04:53:26 PM

Aren't you a librarian ?

CrazyFoxMachine

Resurrecting this to brag of finding Marshall Law #1-3 in a charity shop for less than a tenner  :o :o

Also a load o' DC Vertigo Sandman volumes for £3 each!!

Judge Nutmeg

a good condition the new mutants 98 for £1.50 at the local flea market , contains first appearance of deadpool

hippynumber1

Does finding Jim Baikie's original pencils for a page of 'New Statesmen' from Crisis for £6.50 on ebay count?

Skullmo

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 13 September, 2015, 04:14:04 PM
Does finding Jim Baikie's original pencils for a page of 'New Statesmen' from Crisis for £6.50 on ebay count?

YES!

Jammy
It's a joke. I was joking.

Third Estate Ned

Not so amazing as some of the finds here but on holiday I bought all of these The Crow Presents collections, featuring Hellboy and Sandman, along with Mars Attacks Vol.1 containing Charlie Adlard art all for €1.50. There were boxes more of stuff but I had to leave.  :(

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Picked up Usagi Yojimbo Vol1 and Grant Morrison's The Filth in a charity shop. £8 for the pair. The person at the counter eyed me suspiciously and asked if I'd read The Filth before, I said no, but I've enjoyed a lot of his work in the past. They nodded sagely and replied "Good because that book is VERY Grant Morrison." Looking forward to getting stuck in.
You may quote me on that.

Spikes

Been looking for a HB copy of Aliens by Alan Dean Foster for some time (to go my HB copies of Alien, and Alien3), but pretty much everywhere that was selling decent copies was asking for around £50/60+, if not more, so I had kinda put getting a copy very much on the back burner.

To cut a long story short, a copy I was watching on eBay, suddenly got re-listed at a lower price of £4.68, and came with free postage. A saving of around £50 from its previous price.

And It plonked through my letterbox today, and its pretty much near mint.
A mistake listing by the book sellers?
Dunno, but Im not often on the receiving end of jammy finds, so I'm happy, even if they are now kicking themselves... ;-)