Main Menu

Megazine 363 - Lone Star

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 16 August, 2015, 02:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I actually really like the New Comics spotlight article. It feels very relevant and is a good advertisement for quality comics on the market. I don't dislike the interviews, they're harmless really.

Ghost MacRoth

I'm sure loads of folk do....I just ain't one of 'em. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

sheridan

Who are the interviews with, and what is "Grover's Return"?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 20 August, 2015, 10:43:49 PM

Presumably it's the Rom of the Reds article - TB Grover (Wagner and Grant)/Rover's Return.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 August, 2015, 10:47:15 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 20 August, 2015, 10:43:49 PM

Presumably it's the Rom of the Reds article - TB Grover (Wagner and Grant)/Rover's Return.

Indeed it's is!

Have had a re-read and my problem with Demon-Nic isn't the art, which I love: especially the use of black and space on the page, but the tone of the whole thing: is it seriously comic? darkly serious? comically serious? comical? the killing of the 'ned' and the monk being tossed off (!) a balcony would suggest one of the above , but I can't quite get the vibe.

Dredd; I'm really, really hoping there is a surprise under that sombrero...

Not to keen on the Britcit-Psi story either, the pacing and dialogue seem to be erratic, while the colouring isn't my cuppa at all. Sorry gang I know new talent should be encouraged, needs more work before handing it in (as all my homework used to say)

And my current re-watching of c**ks**kin' Deadwood makes me wish that Lawless had Deadwood's Calamity Jane in the main role, now that would be seriously comic!

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 August, 2015, 11:24:00 AMHave had a re-read and my problem with Demon-Nic isn't the art, which I love: especially the use of black and space on the page, but the tone of the whole thing
I like it, but sometimes find the story hard to follow. Speech balloons end up in the 'wrong' order, it seems.

QuoteDredd; I'm really, really hoping there is a surprise under that sombrero...
Ezquerra!

Goaty

Awesome! One of my fave 2000AD stories, Go Machine is finally on digital copy!!

jacob g

Just finished...

Damn, Lawless is the one of my current favs and this issue just confirms it. I love how this story works within genre conventions yet Marshal Lawson is... somehow different from current female leads in comics (and what is most important, she's totally different from Sheriff Clara Bronson from Jay Faerber's Copperhead).
margaritas ante porcos

Proudhuff

Surprised how few peole read/comment on the Megazine, Shirley circulation isn't that low!
DDT did a job on me

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 September, 2015, 01:54:08 PM
Surprised how few peole read/comment on the Megazine, Shirley circulation isn't that low!

Don't call me Shirley!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Dan Banks

I think the monthly schedule messes people up. Some people might not read it til near the end of its shelf life but often by then the thread is already dead!

Not saying that's what I do, I'm just lazy.

I assume the meg must be doing alright though, financially I mean.

Dan Banks

Now I've guilted myself into talking about the Meg! Damn you huff!

Dredd is great, Ezquerra is god so it doesn't really matter what Mr Rennie does as far as I'm concerned.

Storm Warning and Demon Nic aren't doing it for me sadly. Demon Nic is technically great but just lacks that magic, Storm Warning is clearly fresh creators, learning on the job and that's great but as a strip, it shows. It can go from brilliant to terrible from panel to panel. Hopefully a second series happens that will show all the lessons learnt.

Lawless is the star of the show though, just a perfect mix of writer, artist, premise, everything. Long may it continue!