Main Menu

Meg 367 - Dredd

Started by Richard, 12 December, 2015, 03:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Steve Green

Easy when you've a cape and a chrome spray job to stand out from the crowd.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 15 December, 2015, 12:27:57 PM
Easy when you've a cape and a chrome spray job to stand out from the crowd.

Sorry, Steve - my point was about the chest armour. Gwendoline Christie's not an emaciated waif, but her stormtrooper uniform doesn't come with dashboard cupholders.

I don't care about sexism and objectification - and I love the exaggerated aesthetic Willsher applies to everything in his world, from polar bears to Justice Department heavy armoured vehicles - but pointy kevlar boobs look a little clumsy.

Link Prime

Quote from: Butch on 15 December, 2015, 01:18:36 PM
pointy kevlar boobs look a little clumsy.

I dunno, I'm sure we all know a real life Jimp or two that could do with a little D cup 'moob' comfort...

Hawkmumbler

I suggest people look into how sports/binder bra's work, which I suspect would be the preferred, uniformal undergarment used by Judges.

James Stacey

Tjm86

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 December, 2015, 09:34:50 AM
We just need Rebellion to weave their recent magic once more and release a shiny "New Eagle Dare" Hardback to go alongside their 2000ad one(s).

we need to start a petition.  Bombard the owners of the rights with demands.  Just please leave out the later stuff from 300 to the reboot with the original Dare.  The future cop style stuff that Tully put together.  <shudder>

Steve Green

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 December, 2015, 03:36:08 PM
I suggest people look into how sports/binder bra's work, which I suspect would be the preferred, uniformal undergarment used by Judges.

The workings of undergarments is missing the point I'm making.

The nature of the costume already masks half the face, and the 2012 costume further obscures gender compared to the comic costume.

I don't care whether a character has slightly pointy chest plates or not, but I can see the the advantages from a storytelling perspective in the same way that Dredd has a larger chin to differentiate between him and other clean-shaven white male judges.

The Adventurer

Does Tyranny Rex Vol.2 have The Comeback in it?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

Nope. It's the second part of Deus Ex Machina, followed by Danzig's Inferno.

ZenArcade

It's a uniform as in the meaning of uniform I.e. All the same. I do not agree in any sense with, how to put it, enhanced space for the female thorax. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Plus, ya know. Boob armour can technically kill it's wearer due to applied pressure on the sternum. Theirs a reason I find the modern incarnation of Thor to be a flawed design.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 December, 2015, 11:06:26 AM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 15 December, 2015, 01:00:04 AMWhat if that judge happens to have huge tracks of land, and that's just more comfortable?

Really? I'm fairly sure body armour currently in use around the world, designed for men and women, doesn't have massive moulded parts for boobs.

---

I am just finding this one aspect of the art skeevy. (And I say this as a big fan of Willsher's work.)

I get where the criticism is coming from. But if you really want realistic attire, the iconic stylized bit blocking the center of your vision would be removed from the helmet. Among many other things. It's just in comics, people only complain about this stuff in regards to female characters. Also, it's not really drawn in a "sexy" way or anything, so seems a bit much to call it skeevy.

It would be boring if every character had to look identical, and had to 100% conform to realistic standards of clothing, and whatever else. I guess it's a good thing that these Dredd movie comics are just an occasional thing, so we'll have less comics tied to the idea that "realistic" is a must.

Quote from: Steve Green on 15 December, 2015, 04:07:35 PM
I don't care whether a character has slightly pointy chest plates or not, but I can see the the advantages from a storytelling perspective in the same way that Dredd has a larger chin to differentiate between him and other clean-shaven white male judges.

I agree, it can make sense from an artistic perspective.

The whole realism angle falls apart pretty quickly when you look at the whole comic.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 December, 2015, 01:43:18 PM
Quote from: Butch on 15 December, 2015, 01:18:36 PM
pointy kevlar boobs look a little clumsy.

I dunno, I'm sure we all know a real life Jimp or two that could do with a little D cup 'moob' comfort...

Of course, body shaming men is much better than drawing boob armor.

JOE SOAP

In the case of the film-style uniform Steve does have a strong point about distinguishing male and female characters amongst many who look almost identical in uniform.

The 'comic' style uniforms don't present this problem because identifying a female/male figure is naturally more discernible because there's no blocky black armour covering the torso so the resulting curves under clothing are more natural.

Now maybe the armour could be a little less 'boob' shaped - flatter shape with a slightly raised profile - but I don't see anything tasteless about it. Otherwise story-telling would always demand close-ups of badges and faces or all female Judges would be required to be of shorter, slender build, or with smaller chins and larger lips, which is kind of limiting the presentation of characters, both male and female, in a way we wouldn't want either.  I'm sure there's a happy medium to be found by varying different features.