Main Menu

Readership numbers of Prog and Meg?

Started by Michael Knight, 16 April, 2017, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Was discussing with mates the other day the sales of various American titles needed to keep those titlesw running or renewed. Was just wondering the average sales of the Prog and Meg in 2017.
I know we have a very dedicated and loyal fan base, but it must be strong to sanction partworks like the awesome Mega collection and the hopefully upcoming 2000ad Partwork which is undergoing a trial.

Smith

I think a similar thread mentions 25-30k readers;but dont quote me on that.

AlexF

I like to imagine that the Partworks are a major effort to capture readers who don't sit in that putative 25-30k bracket of loyal weekly readers. Unlike in America, the UK does somehow still have a sort-of newstand model for selling comics, so in theory any time someone wonders into a Smiths or other newsagent to buy cigarettes, a Twix and a can of Nourishment they may end up with a copy of Slaine the Horned God by mistake as well.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: AlexF on 18 April, 2017, 01:12:01 PM
I like to imagine that the Partworks are a major effort to capture readers who don't sit in that putative 25-30k bracket of loyal weekly readers.

That's my thought, too. There are far, far more lapsed readers than current ones (with the Prog shifting over 100,000 copies a week at its peak, and a notional readership of 250K) and the most common scenario outside of a comic-related event (for me, at least) when discussing the comic with a 'normal' person is: "I used to read that as a kid — I had no idea it was still going..."

If the partworks manage to monetise some of that great base of lapsed readers, it's a worthwhile effort for that alone. If it manages to entice a few of them back to the weekly, so much the better.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

PsychoGoatee

Plus, 30k readers is a lot more than many long running US comics. Robert Kirkman's Invincible had around 11,000 for example, the current Ninja Turtles comic has about 13,000 a month, etc. Daredevil sells around 30,000 for example.

IndigoPrime

I don't think anyone really knows. We've had all kinds of numbers and guesswork in recent years; another thread here said around 15k, for example. But on the basis of activity and output, you can only surmise that these publications are healthy, which is the important thing. And after all, it's not like the Meg's suddenly full of reprint again, like it was for so long. (And, yes, I know there's the bagged floppy, but even so you get plenty of original strip every month.)

sheridan

How did I miss this thread until now?  The closest figure we know for sure is that 650,000 copies of the film were sold on DVD and Blu-Ray (roughly 50% of that in each of the formats).  Doesn't enlighten us to the prog figures though :-/

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 15 May, 2017, 12:55:30 AM
The closest figure we know for sure is that 650,000 copies of the film were sold on DVD and Blu-Ray (roughly 50% of that in each of the formats).

That figure (650,000) is reportedly what it sold in the first few weeks of Jan 2013 in the US.

http://collider.com/dredd-blu-ray-dvd-digital-download-best-seller/

It has at least doubled that in the US going by the retail numbers.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Dredd#tab=summary

But it's nowhere near a representative number of what it has sold worldwide.

IAMTHESYSTEM

£19 million in Vid sales more than the film made in the USA box office. I heard that people rediscovered it on Vid and those figures confirm it. Well good. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla