Main Menu

DREDD 2012 Sequel

Started by The dude, 20 April, 2017, 09:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The dude

Does anyone know whether there has been any further movement on the rumour around a Dredd Netflix series. Also for those subscribers in Belfast, Queen Film Theatre are doing a showing of Dredd 2012 on the 06/05/17. See you there

Tormunda

I am still no wiser on the whole Dredd 2 issue.
Can someone just answer me this one question:

Is the only hold up on us finally getting a sequal, money?

If someone fronted up $40M USD, is this a go? or is something else stopping it?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tormunda on 24 April, 2017, 11:57:59 AMIs the only hold up on us finally getting a sequal, money?

Fundamentally, yes, and I assume finding a studio/producing partner that is willing to collaborate with 2000AD to a degree where they don't demand total control of the property and want to change it beyond recognition. Not easy considering the amount of money involved.

The DNA FILMS iteration is now out of contract and the film-rights have returned to Rebellion so while I'm sure the actors could return to their respective roles - if requested - a new film it might require a slight redesign of the look as the specific designs from the 2012 version are the previous studio's copyright. I'm not sure if 2000AD can get around that since they publish the comic based on the same designs.

Either way I suspect a reboot of some order will eventually happen.

Tormunda

Quotea new film it might require a slight redesign of the look as the specific designs from the 2012 version are the previous studio's copyright.

This is the one line that would have me worried.

Dredd was so brilliant compared to the awful version before because they had the right look and feel (not to mention the perfect casting).

Hopefully, as you said, that would not be the studio's copyright - maybe the redesign of the lawmaster bike would be but that was not a great design anyway.

I guess the only real win/lose on this project would be if they could not get Karl Urban to play Dredd.
I know it sounds odd but Dredd is not an easy roll to act. You have to find a way to connect with the audience while at the same time playing a stone faced, emotionless judge who does not take his helmet off and express himself beyond the code of the law - something Karl did an awesome job with :)  (unlike the nightmare that was 'I am the lure' stallone!)

JoFox2108

Quote from: Tormunda on 24 April, 2017, 02:39:28 PM

[...]

I guess the only real win/lose on this project would be if they could not get Karl Urban to play Dredd.
I know it sounds odd but Dredd is not an easy roll to act. You have to find a way to connect with the audience while at the same time playing a stone faced, emotionless judge who does not take his helmet off and express himself beyond the code of the law - something Karl did an awesome job with :)  (unlike the nightmare that was 'I am the lure' stallone!)

I saw an interview with Karl Urban a few months ago talking about this and it seems that he is keen to do it again.
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

The Legendary Shark

He's an actor. They're all keen to do anything that gets there face on a 40 foot high screen - or even a 42 inch one.

Would love a Dredd tv series, though.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

PsychoGoatee

I'd love to see more great adaptations, but unfortunately with the setting and material of the stories, it does require a bit of a budget. Or going with a Troma (Toxic Avenger) or classic Doctor Who style B-movie look, with people in wacky make up as aliens etc, which would be fine with me, but maybe not that marketable.

Dredd (2012) is a great movie, but they did the best they could there with a few hallways as much of the movie's setting. An even lower budget follow-up would be very limited in what they could do, since even just going from one place to another in Mega-City One may be pretty high budget to do convincingly.

But that said, I'd take a set in one room Dredd movie if that's all I can get. Tarantino made it work a couple times.